Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Most all of us know that pulling the fuses, will get HAL to reset. I found this little topic with Q&A's related to it. One response was, and sort of makes sense,

"The problem with the fuse pull thing, is it will only last a short while, until the car relearns your driving habits after a few hundred miles. There's a way to teach the adaptives after a reset that will help it keep an aggressive tune. Once resetting the PCM, you can go out on the highway and set your cruise control to 65. Then throw it in autostick and downshift into each lower gear, and cruise in that gear for a mile or so, until you get to 2nd gear. 2nd gear will be running some pretty high rpm at 65, so you may want to do it for only a 1/4 mile or so. Do this a couple of times - and then you want to find a non-busy time of day on the highway, do the same thing, except accelerate to 65, then let the car engine brake back down to 35 or 40 mph, and do that in each gear (you may need to go faster than 65 in the higher gears). Try doing this all again at 35 mph also. That will teach the PCM that you drive at all different rpms, at all speeds, and keep it aggressive.

This is actually a standard ODBII procedure, not just a DCX procedure. It's also the way you would teach a new TCM how to shift....."

So, with that, your thoughts? Is it worth trying?

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Well I know you are a pretty sharp operator, and I may just try it, if my dumb a$$ remembers to do it at 5 am, or after a 12 hour shift. lol

·
Registered
60 Posts
I love trying this stuff out, plus I still have a warranty!!:wink:
Plus the car and me aren't feeling each other right now.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I think this will work for longer, but your car is constantly adjusting, its not like it builds a base and then keeps it. its not learn once, run forever, its always learning. if it was learn once, then most of us would have a pretty aggressive setup because we pulled the fuse and then drove the hell out of it, went racing for any afternoon, w/e.

the only thing that I can see this doing is encouraging you to drive harder, longer, and thus keep the aggressive setup longer. but this will not stop city driving from messing up your "learning"

just my opinion, take it for what its worth. IMO this car needs a lobotomy ;)

·
Registered
507 Posts
does a tuner correct this issue? or does the PCM still learn even with a tuner equipped?

·
Registered
151 Posts
"does a tuner correct this issue? or does the PCM still learn even with a tuner equipped?"
That is a very good question.
Randy

·
Registered
3 Posts
i'm running superchips. does not help with HAL, just tweeks him. all the tuner does is adjust timing and shift points. HAL still makes the car groggy most of the time

·
Registered
676 Posts
I think it won't do much to be perfectly honest. The car is constantly adjusting/learning so as soon as you stop that little RPM fest on the highway, it's just going to start to adjust/learn/retard itself back to it's original state. If you want it to perform more aggresively, than drive it aggresively all the time.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
The one thing I hate about the charger is HAL. when im driving to the gym on a reg weds afternoon at 3pm while most people are at work, Im driving normal. Matter of fact, im usually driving normal unless Im in a real hyper mood or there is reason to drive like a maniac, but I would love the ability to be able to do so without the car "remembering" that last trip down the hwy on cruise control, or normal city driving.

EDIT: See my "Vendors, please make product for HAL" thread with your thoughts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts