Charger Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i installed my aFe2 intake yesterday without a hitch, took me about an hour, but only because i was very meticulous and made sure i didnt screw anything up. went off without a hitch, even the damn 02 sensor all you newbs claim to screw up. the hardest time i had was figuring out how to unclip the wire to it(lol dumbass me couldnt find the black thing u push on to release it after sliding the red part up) and the lowest screw taht attatched the tube to the housing(i dropped the lock washer twice).

the trick was using a lil bit of gun oil(first lubricant i came across) to help get the temp sensor in and out. made it a breeze.

i reset the computer after the install before even driving it.

let me tell you, it sounds ****in amazing. i was actually suprised at how much more volume it adds to the exhaust note. i didnt expect it to change the sound like that.makes it sound like it coems from all side rather than behind you. love it.

the only problem im noticing is that even with the esp button pushed (i dont have turn key OR any kind of ESP delete, just the basic one...) and sitting in first gear on a line. it feels like it bogs down a bit when i slam in the pedal before it really starts to pull once i get above 10 mph. i can feel the gains there definately. not a ton, but it feels like she pulls a bit harder thru the power ranges.

does it have to do with the computer reset(fuse pull method) or what, but most of the time from a dig it doesnt seem as powerful as i remember it being comin off the line. im not sure of myself tho because of the fact that the car does feel slightly different under power that maybe im just getting tricks played on my mind with the new sound and different pull strength at certain RPMs. i wish i had a solid 0-60 time so i could compare it.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
You could do the PCm reset, but it will learn on its own too. Just give it some time.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
After I did a reset it seems like almost the car is rich maybe, kinda hesatant and as I let up un the pedal it seems to pick up. Does that sound right. Sorry for the hijack Dude, Just kinda felt like it belonged here.

Scott

·
Registered
467 Posts
previously i reported an issue with my aFe cai scratching paint on the fender, but noticed today that I did not have the shielding installed onto the coolant overflow. check that you did this. now there is plenty of clearance and it feels secure. i got an extra seal from aFe to protect the fender from anymore scratches.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got that part in on the coolant thing as well.

i took herout tonight for a joy ride and in the cooler nightime houston air it feels much much better. im lovin it :)

btw, to hicjack my own thread. i have a DAYTONA(r&t) airbox/tube and k&n Drop in filter(EVERYTHING you need to install it, no parts missing) in the for sale section :)

anyhow, charginscott, im not quite sure what your describing. lil more detail peraps? if it was too rich, that means too much fuel, but at the same time, your throttle should open up more letting in more air. i dont know why, after a CAI addition, it would run richer than before. maybe Leaner? HAL is sposed to adjust to this and adapt accordingly i THINK.

i have found personally tho, that with this new intake the as soon as hit 3500 rps or so in first gear it starts pulling like a clydesdale. its amazing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
thats odd after the afe 2 install I pulled fuse 11
now in first gear sitting still to wot the tires light up and car jumps to life at 3000 rpm car takes off
But HAL knows when i say go i mean goooooooooooooooooo

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had some trouble installing my afe today. I used some WD-40 around the sensor and it came out with no problem. My first try installing it resulted in me finally finding the grommet that shot through the tub. I stuck a big rag in the tube to keep this from happening again. This time not only did the grommet shoot out(the rag stopped it) but the sensor slipped out of my hands. I finally found it after I took the splash gaurd off underneath. Even though I noticed a crack in the grommet I tried one more time and got the sensor installed.
I took it for a drive(love the sound) and the sensor still seems seated fine, but I am worried about the grommet cracking more and it getting sucked in my engine.
I have e-mailed afe for advice but wonderd if anyone else had this problem or if I just had a bad day?
Randy

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you can probably find the grommet at a auto parts store id think.

the trick to installing the sensor is, to detatch it from that power cord.
then remove your stock tube.
remove the sensor with some lube.
insert it into your new tube prior to putting anything together.
the go from there on teh rest of the install

that way you can stick your arm up the tube and work with it from all sides if needed. get it nice and snug, then your set.

·
Registered
151 Posts
you can probably find the grommet at a auto parts store id think.

the trick to installing the sensor is, to detatch it from that power cord.
then remove your stock tube.
remove the sensor with some lube.
insert it into your new tube prior to putting anything together.
the go from there on teh rest of the install

that way you can stick your arm up the tube and work with it from all sides if needed. get it nice and snug, then your set.
Good advice. I think that is the way to install becasue even under the hood I used my hands on both sides the last time.
Randy

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
Do you have to reset the computer after install?? I never did and it seems to be working fine .

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
did you call it an 02 sensor in the intake ? and noone pointed it out? jeez. You mean the iat, or ait, pends on which manual you look at. There is no such thing as an 02 sensor. There is an o2 sensor though, four of them, in the exhaust. Goofy people.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What is the best way to remove the sensor without damaging it?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lube.
just work it out slow in a circular motion.
use some gun oil or anything like that

1 - 13 of 13 Posts