Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dayum...been waiting to oil my filter for 5 hours now...how long does it take to dry? I know it is not recommended to take a blow dryer to it, but would it be ok to place it near a fan so that there is air flowing through it... please let me know, I don't want to wait until morning to oil it because I have a race that i need to get to, early am.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd say a fan would work. Couldn't be any different from, say, the air flowing through it while on the car!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I don't think a hair dryer on low would hurt the filter. Don't miss the race!!!!

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll try both suggestions...I REALLY don't want to miss the race tomorrow!

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
aFe's instructions say that drying with a fan is acceptable. I think the warning against using a dryer is that you don't want the gauze to dry too quickly and possibly shrink/tear. If you have the dryer on low and more than about 6 inches away I doubt it would hurt anything.

I just washed mine out last night (coincidentally) and dried it overnight. I don't think the overnight temps got below about 70*F in the garage where it was drying. By morning (call it 12 hours later) it was dry enough to oil.

Don't forget that oiling might take another hour or so (oil, wait 20 minutes, check for light patches, oil some more, wait some more).

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
aFe's instructions say that drying with a fan is acceptable. I think the warning against using a dryer is that you don't want the gauze to dry too quickly and possibly shrink/tear. If you have the dryer on low and more than about 6 inches away I doubt it would hurt anything.

I just washed mine out last night (coincidentally) and dried it overnight. I don't think the overnight temps got below about 70*F in the garage where it was drying. By morning (call it 12 hours later) it was dry enough to oil.

Don't forget that oiling might take another hour or so (oil, wait 20 minutes, check for light patches, oil some more, wait some more).
I used the fan method...it's dry now...so I'll be oiling that thing until i go to bed! Do you do it all at once and then check for light spots? Or do you do one half and then the other half 20 minutes later? This is the first time that I do this so i'm not sure how! The only oil that i have is K&N...I guess that won't hurt will it? It's for their gauze type filters also.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
You should be fine with the K&N oil. Do the whole thing and let it sit. It's amazing how far it wicks in. After 20 minutes, take a look on the outside AND INSIDE for light patches. I ended up reapplying over about 1/3 of the filter because I went too light the first time. I think after I was finished and happy I had used about 2/5 of the bottle of oil. Next time I'd definitely go with the aFe aerosol instead of the bottle.

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the K&N aerosol oil and it really worked fine...I applied 2 coats to fully cover instead of one thick coat...It does soak in quite a bit, but I think i did a good job *Pats self on back*. I'm just glad that I used the fan tonight and didn't have to wait until morn to oil!

Thanks guys...

Curtis

1 - 8 of 8 Posts