Charger Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Dodge Brothers,

Here is my dilema, im a single 23 year old man, living at home w/ parents, dont pay for anything but truck(2003 Dodge Dakota :love: ). Have an aweome family and love them to death, job is great and get paid very well. My question is I want to move out on my own, do i move out or stay and buy a 06 Dodge Charger SRT-8. I guess the whole thing about moving out is a status thing. Advice or suggestions anyone please help, i know this may seem childish but its hard i want to move out, but want the Charger(btw, no problem affording it) like i said job is good!!!

Thanks guys,
ChargerF18

·
Registered
331 Posts
If you can't afford both the Charger and rent, I say buy the car and move out next year. There is no shame in mooching off your parents for a while longer. You're only 23. I lived with my parents until I was 25. Plus, think of all the chicks you'll get riding around town in that bad boy. You may not have your own apartment, but the Charger's back seat is certainly large enough to entertain your lady friends. :)

·
Banned
236 Posts
No Shame? What kind of crap is that. Why don't you try moving out and learning to take on some responsibilities like paying rent or feeding someone other than yourself? If I was your Dad and you drove up in that car I would set you up on some kind of rent agreement, pronto.

The 3.5L model priced around 23Kis aimed directly at your demographic so kids like you can drive a cool car AND contribute some rent while you blow bong hits in your mom and dad's basement.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
well chargerf18... I feel your pain. I will be 23 next year and living at home. However i will JUST have gotten out of college and i will only be making around 35K-40K. (Gweem I know you live in northbrook, and if you ever need to do anything that requires an architect I'll hook you up, I'd like to get my name out there) However, my parents want me home for a little bit, plus I have some loose ends around the house to tie up(30 years of running a small construction business out of your house just doesn't clean itself up, and the old man is getting too old to do it... but i digress)

But a SRT-8 is a little much... couldn't you get by with an R/T (you could always buy a SRT-8 hood and spoiler) which has at least reasonable gas mileage? The recent jump in gas prices is making me rethink getting an R/T, but from what i have read the V6 doesn't get much better mileage either. From what I have heard the 5.7 HEMI has more than enough power, I have yet to test drive one as I don't think i could handle the torture of not being able to afford one just yet. If i may ask how much do you make? Becaue I'm sure you'll get a good deal on trading in the Dakota for the SRT-8, if you play your cards smart you may be able to afford a stripped down R/T and your own place as long as the cost of living where you live isn't astronomical.

The question you have to ask yourself is DO YOUR PARENTS WANT YOU AT HOME? Furthermore, havin' a sweet car to pick up womens is nice and all... but how do you think they'll react when they hear you passed up movin out for a car, they'll think you are immature... but from your post it sounds like you are out just to crush some A$$. But won't you feel kinda silly having to drive around to find somewhere relatively secluded to get naked in your sweet car? that's for young kids and amorous couples who have been together a while.

Anyway this has gone on for too long and i need to put an end to this post. I hope my advice helps.

-George

·
Registered
352 Posts
Charger Talk It Over With Your Parents And Tell Them What You Want To Do And If There Ok With It Then Go 4 It Because Its No Bodies But You And Your Parents.i No Kids That There Parents Booted Them Out At 18.40 Yrs Ago Rent Was A Lot Different Than Now And The Wadges Havnt Keep Up With The Times.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
At your age, remember this, the car insurance will KILL YOU with an SRT-8!

Also, getting in debit for a car is def. not worth it! :wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
My advice as a 46 year old father would be to stay home unless your planning on buying your own home. No real benefit to renting an apartment.

I might suggest a C5 corvette at around 25 grand but then I'm biased towards corvettes....

For 28 grand you can get a great 2001 Z06 and thats not a bad shake. For 25 grand you can get a very nice Coupe or convertible C5.

I'm not going to kid you and tell you a 36K dollar vehicle is a lot because it is.

Find the balance? Maybe buy an off lease 300C in a year or two is a good plan too.....

Lots of choices...and one of my favorites is find a girl with a place of her own and hang out at her place when you want to get away.

Get a vette...Get an offlease magnum Hemi or 300C....buy a 2004 GTO...for 20 grand...or go all out and buy the totally awesome SRT/8.

36 grand plus taxes is a lot of cabbage for a 23 year old no matter how much money you have.

I waited until I was celebrating my 40th birthday before I bought my first 40K dollar Corvette...(1999 C5) then I bought for cash my 2001 Z06 ...its a great ride.

I have probably a million and a half in net worth and no debt...

Build you assets before you spend.... till then let your money work for you.

thats my fatherly advice as awesome as the Charger SRT/8 is.

A three year old SRT/8 will cost about 60% of what a new one costs now...

I'd suggest a three year old Vette...and then if you want....buy a three year old charger....

Save your money. You seem like a smart young man.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Very good advice, JB. If he takes it he won't regret it.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
cork said:
No Shame? What kind of crap is that. Why don't you try moving out and learning to take on some responsibilities like paying rent or feeding someone other than yourself? If I was your Dad and you drove up in that car I would set you up on some kind of rent agreement, pronto.

The 3.5L model priced around 23Kis aimed directly at your demographic so kids like you can drive a cool car AND contribute some rent while you blow bong hits in your mom and dad's basement.

I kinda agree with your thought on rent. I am 22 and still live at home. I have to pay $300.00 a month rent + food and my own phone (cell phone don't work at home, live in a valley :sad: ), I have to pay my own insurance, etc... I still found a way to afford a Daytona and still have money left at the end of the month. I would have gone w/ the SRT-8 but I really don't need that kid of power. If I had piles of money, I definately would have bought one to go along with the Daytona.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ok, heres where People will think im immature, but ill do it anyway!

Charger, I am 17, and going to be 18 in another year. Right now, going to school, and holding a job, is pretty tought for my schedule. But, to me, the job is well worth it because im making pretty good money.

At 18, Ill be going to school, hopefully on a full scholarship because of band, and Ill be still living at home.

Now, as far as the SRT-8 Charger is concerned, i would recommend the Daytona
or the R/T W/ the Road and Track performance package, because it would be just right for your age. NExt year, when i get my R/T, im getting it with the RTPP, because i think its just right for me. Also, think insurance on the SRT-8....at your age , they will KILL you for insurance.

Also, even if you say you can afford it, the dealer will charger on some huge markup, so instead of paying 37,595, you would be paying something like 50,000! A 50,000 dollar car is quite a lot for a 23 year old.

My job now is enough just to pay FOR the car payment, and the gas for the charger. I had to make a deal with my parents that if I get good grades and I can keep my job steady with no threats of layoff for 6 months, they will pay for half the car payment, half the in surance, and I pay for gas and maintenance. That I can Handle!

But then again, its your descicion.

Good Luck!

John

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
808Chargerfan said:
At 18, Ill be going to school, hopefully on a full scholarship because of band,
John
This one time, at band camp......

Whoa, we got a band geek!!!!!

Just kidding, I was 1st Trumpet 6-12th grade. :nerd:

And if you could get a full ride to U, hail to the band geek!! :happy:

·
Registered
226 Posts
This one time, at band camp......

Call me a band Geek if you wish......but dont dis my Drummin' skills :happy: . this also is my free ticket to college!

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I were your dad, and I am old enough to be, I would not mind you living at home and buying that car. Although I might have to take it out one night a week, fair is fair right?. :rockon:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Since my dad will be retiring by the time i go to college, he wants a cool muscle sedan to go around in. HE can take the charger anytime he wants. After all, hes paying for half of it.

John

·
Registered
384 Posts
if he's paying for half that's a whole different ball game, I'd definately say go for it. (keep in mind I'm 23, stillin college, and using my dads death bennifit to buy the car we both agree'd he should get before he passed (he couldent make the payments though))

P.S. Imagine all the freshmen tail he'd get with it!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts