1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I've always bought my oil when they do their specials. And since the 6.1L takes 7 quarts of oil, I buy 3 of the "5 quart + 1 filter" sets and end up with 2 oil changes, and then one filter and one quart left over.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Blows my mind why people with such nice, new, expensive cars want to put cheap-ass shelf oil in their cars.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Repth
Senior Member Join Date: Dec 2008

Blows my mind why people with such nice, new, expensive cars want to put cheap-ass shelf oil in their cars.
I thought SRT vehicles came from the factory with a Mobil 1 stamp on the oil fill cap and was recomended by the factory..Either way I was just trying to be helpful and point out a possible good deal! No need to crap in a thread I created to help other members!:flame:

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I thought SRT vehicles came from the factory with a Mobil 1 stamp on the oil fill cap and was recomended by the factory..Either way I was just trying to be helpful and point out a possible good deal! No need to crap in a thread I created to help other members!:flame:
I understand. I'm not doggin' you or anything, and I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be helpful. Truth is though, so am I. Anything you get off the shelf is not nearly as good as a custom blend for your car, and I think we all know the only company that does that around here. No offense meant, but I suppose it would be like a friend running up to me and saying they're selling 87 octane for half-off, but that doesn't help me because I'm tuned to run on 93 octane. Maybe not the best example but you get the idea. It's good that it's half-off, but it's inferior to the alternative in the first place. And the Mobil1 sticker would have to be a contract with Mobil1; doesn't necessarily mean that Mobil1 is the best for SRT8s.

Sorry if I came off as being rude.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No problem...I used to run Royal Purple in my Magnum and caught a lot of grief for that..LOL! I have used Mobil 1 in a great majority of the cars I have owned and always been satisfied with the product. Times are tough and just wanted to help people save some coin..:beerchug:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I understand. I'm not doggin' you or anything, and I appreciate the fact that you're trying to be helpful. Truth is though, so am I. Anything you get off the shelf is not nearly as good as a custom blend for your car, and I think we all know the only company that does that around here. No offense meant, but I suppose it would be like a friend running up to me and saying they're selling 87 octane for half-off, but that doesn't help me because I'm tuned to run on 93 octane. Maybe not the best example but you get the idea. It's good that it's half-off, but it's inferior to the alternative in the first place. And the Mobil1 sticker would have to be a contract with Mobil1; doesn't necessarily mean that Mobil1 is the best for SRT8s.

You can pay your ridiculous money for your custom blend, im not cheap by anymeans but the custom blend oil is silly IMO, but to each his own. I've got the lifetime warranty on mine. I will continue to use Mobil 1 synthetic, never have had a reason not to.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can pay your ridiculous money for your custom blend, im not cheap by anymeans but the custom blend oil is silly IMO, but to each his own. I've got the lifetime warranty on mine. I will continue to use Mobil 1 synthetic, never have had a reason not to.
That's funny.

Assuming Mobil1 is $4/qt, a regular filter is $6, you use 7 quarts (we'll round up to 8) of oil per change (even if you don't use this much I'm going to compare prices of 8 quarts shelf oil to 8 quarts custom blend), and Mobil1 lasts you 3,000 miles, you're going to be paying $12.66 per 1,000 miles.

BND's custom blend is, IIRC, $104 for 8 qts, and the filter is, $12 or thereabouts, and it lasts for 10,000 miles on one oil chance. With BND, you're paying $11.60 per 1,000 miles. And you have to change the oil 1/3 as often. And the oil is statistically proven to be better for your car.

Hmmm, which one do I pick? The more expensive oil that's not as good for my engine that I have to change 3 times as often, or the cheaper oil that's 3 times as good for my engine that I have to change one third as often? That's a tough choice.:confused:

Edit: Also I looked it up and BND is $100.48 for 8 qts and the filter is $10.35, which makes it even cheaper. Assuming you care enough about your car not to buy the cheapest, crappiest oil, then it's probably actually most cost effective for the average consumer to go with BND. Just saying.

Also, if Brian wants this removed, I can do that.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's funny.

Assuming Mobil1 is $4/qt, a regular filter is $6, you use 7 quarts (we'll round up to 8) of oil per change (even if you don't use this much I'm going to compare prices of 8 quarts shelf oil to 8 quarts custom blend), and Mobil1 lasts you 3,000 miles, you're going to be paying $12.66 per 1,000 miles.

BND's custom blend is, IIRC, $104 for 8 qts, and the filter is, $12 or thereabouts, and it lasts for 10,000 miles on one oil chance. With BnD, you're paying $11.60 per 1,000 miles. And you have to change the oil 1/3 as often. And the oil is statistically proven to be better for your car.

Hmmm, which one do I pick? The more expensive oil that's not as good for my engine that I have to change 3 times as often, or the cheaper oil that's 3 times as good for my engine that I have to change one third as often? That's a tough choice.:confused:

Well considering I buy Mobil 1 at wholesale price, it's not too confusing for me. Now had I been a retail customer your argument would be true, but since I am not, your argument is irrelevant. I appreciate your candor though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's funny.

BND's custom blend is, IIRC, $104 for 8 qts, and the filter is, $12 or thereabouts, and it lasts for 10,000 miles on one oil chance. With BnD, you're paying $11.60 per 1,000 miles. And you have to change the oil 1/3 as often. And the oil is statistically proven to be better for your car.

Ok, my mobil 1 synthetic last 7k miles on one change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's funny.

BND's custom blend is, IIRC, $104 for 8 qts, and the filter is, $12 or thereabouts, and it lasts for 10,000 miles on one oil chance. With BND, you're paying $11.60 per 1,000 miles. And you have to change the oil 1/3 as often. And the oil is statistically proven to be better for your car.

Edit: Also I looked it up and BND is $100.48 for 8 qts and the filter is $10.35, which makes it even cheaper. Assuming you care enough about your car not to buy the cheapest, crappiest oil, then it's probably actually most cost effective for the average consumer to go with BND. Just saying.

Also, if Brian wants this removed, I can do that.
Why would he want it removed? You're making a case to buy his product, he should be happy.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ok, my mobil 1 synthetic last 7k miles on one change.
I did some more research on prices, and taking this statement into account, Mobil1 is more like $8.29 per 1,000 miles and BND is more like $11.08 per 1,000 miles.

$2.80 more per 1,000 miles for oil 3x as good (do all the research you need to and it will all prove this) and that you have to change less often. It's ok if you don't think it's worth it, but I sure do.

Why would he want it removed? You're making a case to buy his product, he should be happy.
Just saying, because I never asked him if I could post this info. I know I -can- but maybe he'd prefer I didn't? It doesn't list his prices on his website, so I don't know if he'd rather people have to talk to him to get them or not.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
So the stuff that comes out the barrel is better lol....The dealer uses Mobile 1
I don't follow what you mean. And so what if the dealer uses Mobil1? I'm sure it's a contract.

And you know, don't get me wrong guys. If you want to put Mobil1 or whatever your oil of choice is in your car, go ahead. You're not going to kill it. There's just something better out there for a small marginal cost. Never intended to make a big deal out of it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts

Do you have any valid backing to back this up??? I turned 250K on my Jeep Cherokee running only the cheap a** Pennzoil stuff at the time. Never had any problems except a leaking rear main seal when I sold it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Do you have any valid backing to back this up??? I turned 250K on my Jeep Cherokee running only the cheap a** Pennzoil stuff at the time. Never had any problems except a leaking rear main seal when I sold it.
1. Common sense. How is something made generic for all engines going to be as good as something made specifically for your engine, and even your modifications and driving habits.

2. Yes, there's tons of research out there. This is just one of many. http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/tech/0503htp_gm_ls6_Z06_crate_motor_test/index.html

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!! All I wanted to do is let people who use Mobil 1 know about a good deal and a war erupts about what oil to use LOL! I also just notcied in my owners manual that the maintnence schedule recomends changing the oil at 6,000 miles..Since I only drive my car about 10,000 miles a year I don't mind changing my oil twice a year,heck even once a year with that custom blend stuff would be cool!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
^^ haha yea oil is a point-of-contention subject around here...

Thanks for the heads up on the deal.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Holy crap!!!!!!!!!! All I wanted to do is let people who use Mobil 1 know about a good deal and a war erupts about what oil to use LOL! I also just notcied in my owners manual that the maintnence schedule recomends changing the oil at 6,000 miles..Since I only drive my car about 10,000 miles a year I don't mind changing my oil twice a year,heck even once a year with that custom blend stuff would be cool!
Shut it...and pick a side....Im kidding, opinions are like...Well you know what they're like. Ask this question to 10 different people and you will get 10 different opinons. No war, just a minor skirmish.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.