Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am no audiophile, my one weakness when it comes to cars because I can do anything and everything else with them. So can someone answer this:

Can I just plug in an aftermarket sub into the 8" mounting hole in the rear shelf and use it with the stock system (REC NAV)? Will it work fine with CAN and is there enough stock power to use a 120W RMS 500W Peak Subwoofer without getting into adding an amp? Any reason it would sound like crap?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why would I HAVE to buy the Mopar/Kicker sub, though? I really don't want one on the side of my trunk, especially at the price I recall them going for. I mean, there's that 8" cutout in the rear deck and some sort of speaker plug that goes to it, I would like to use that hole. I don't want some big boom boom car, just a little extra bass from a decent 8". So not to question, but so I understand, why would plugging an 8" sub into the stock wiring there without an amp not work. I assumed there was still a decent amount of power left on the head unit to power a sub.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You don't need the kicker sub, you can use the hole in the rear deck. You will need an amp in my opinion.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, which sucks, and means I need a Mopar one because of CAN unless I use the rear power dist. to power it, but the one line I would ideally draw off of is already running my Halos and some other stuff.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Some amps have a high input. Use a 4 channel bridgeable amp. Mount the amp so you can splice into the rear deck speakers and power them and bridge the second 2 channels for the sub. I think that could work well for you.

I did this on the boat.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I put an 8" Sony sub back there without an amp; i tapped on the rear deck speakers. It doesn't sound like crap, but it doesn't shoot a lot of bass either. To me it's perfect, because i just wanted a little more bass.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
i'm saying that you have to upgrade to the 322 watt amp and rear deck sub as in the group II package. the 276 amp gets replaced with the 322 which will give you the rear sub channel and then pop the factory sub in to the rear deck. this set up is NOT the kicker set up

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not the biggest fan of paper BA. I would rather just use my own sub, but I will swap the amp.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
well since the factory woofer is a 2ohm you will need a 2ohm woofer-if you use a 4 ohm the factory amp will barely see a load and wont make and power plus to start with the factory sub channel out put is only 46 watts and if you put a 8 inch woofer in the deck thats looking for more than a 100 watts it wont move very well and wont produce the sound your looking for. a home system woofer at 2ohms looking for around 50 to 100 watts would work better in there

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And a 4 ohm that's actually dual 2 ohm coils?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts