Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All- Looking to get a GPS system for my SXT. I've been researching them on the net and am getting more confused! I would like it to be able to move it to my weekday (company) car so am not looking for the built-in NAV system. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
compass and a map is cheaper....sorry i had to do that, i really couldn't resist it. you can go with handheld that can be relocated from car to car....but i am not sure if i would go this route personally. the handhelds have come a long way and will come with antennas specifically for cars. i have played with alot of them in the military but have never seen one that spoke out loud, this is one feature i am not sure you can get out of this....

·
Registered
66 Posts
Last Fall I bought a Dell Axim 50v handheld PDA. I wanted for other reasons, but soon after getting it I found out that the bluetooth capability of the unit allows it to connect to a bluetooth GPS. So I bought the GPS and a portable cradle for the car and OnCourse Navigator Software and away I go.

You can buy the GPS units and software bundled for many different suppliers. Here is one. https://www.buygpsnow.com/

I bought my cradle from http://www.seidioonline.com

It really works great. Turn by Turn instructions that have thus far been very accurate, and I can move it from vehicle to vehicle.

The Dell Axim PDA is a sweet unit on its own. Bluetooth and 802.11b wireless.

RJ

·
Registered
384 Posts
I want this:

Dodge Charger Dash Mounted GPS Navigation System

• Touch screen controls - A Mopar exclusive!
  • Touch zoom allows user to zoom in or out by "drawing" a box on the screen
  • Three languages - English, French and Spanish - for on screen text and voice prompts
  • Eights ways to map a destination
  • Voice instructions - every step of the way
  • Automotive grade, high-resolution 8-bit TFT color touch screen interface that's easy to see in day or night
  • Turn-by-turn voice prompted directions with high-quality audio
  • Calculates shortest or fastest routes to addresses or points of interest
  • Automatically recalculates a route if the driver misses a turn
  • Drivers can tell Navus to avoid areas of construction or traffic tie-ups
  • Navus will build a route with multiple stops, ideal for sales calls, deliveries, or errands
  • Connected directly into the automotive bus interface for seamless integration with other vehicle systems such as lighting and ignition
  • Dead reckoning capabilities assist navigation if GPS signal is temporarily lost
  • Optional remote control
  • Trip Information page with:
    • Time of Day
    • Mileage Log
    • Trip Odometer
    • Vehicle Speed
    • Compass
    • Average Speed
  • Every Navus system comes preprogrammed with a permanent base map showing all state and federal highways and major thoroughfares in towns and cities throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico
  • Handheld Remote Available (Sold Separately)
  • Price Includes North America Flash Card
  • Available for 2006 Dodge Charger
  • Covered by Mopar's 12 Month/12,000 Mile Parts and Accessories Warranty
its at leeparts.com goes for about a grand., its not portable but I still like it. sorry if it doesent apply to you though,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
I run TomTom Navigator on a smartphone. It's also available for pocket pc's. It's amazing. It has a 3d view of the road which is awesome.

http://www.tomtom.com/

·
Registered
273 Posts
Look into the magellan or garmin i sell these units everyday (Best Buy). The sell for around 699-1300. The new garmin c330 i think thats the model is awesome. No need for external antenna. Its got an awesome touch and remote screen. Check out bestbuy.com

·
Premium Member
17,663 Posts
aflores496 said:
Look into the magellan or garmin i sell these units everyday (Best Buy). The sell for around 699-1300. The new garmin c330 i think thats the model is awesome. No need for external antenna. Its got an awesome touch and remote screen. Check out bestbuy.com

He's right about that. I borrowed a Megellan Roadmate one time. That's a sweet unit.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have the Garmin 60C handheld with a suction-cup mount for the car window. It has worked flawlessly everywhere I have gone. Bought the MetroGuide North America program and can download of 5 million points of interest in North America to the unit. (not all at once though)

Awesome portable GPS, but doen't have voice response like the built in GPS offered in the option package. So, I'll keep the portable GPS for the E-150 van, camping, etc. and use the stock GPS in the Charger.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
a14umbra said:
It has a 3d view of the road which is awesome.
Garmin 60C also has "driver point of view" with 3D display of road ahead. It was amazingly accurate. Hills and turns were all accurately displayed on a 2,400+ mile road round-trip from Tampa to KC.

·
Registered
322 Posts
- I bought the Magellan Roadmate 300 unit, from Circuit City - They gave me $50 off, for opening a Circuit City Credit card account - and the Magellan RM 300, at the time, had a rebate for a free "pre-loaded" 256 meg SD card.

- Anyhow, I've used the "Never Lost" system in Hertz rentals - and the Magellan's are the same thing - which I think is pretty good. But, without a "BIG" SD card, you can't download a really large map onto the RM 300. Plus, it takes a while to get the map (in segments) downloaded, from your PC, onto the Nav300 - But, other than that - I think it is Great.

- I think the "portables" are the way to go - that way you can swap them between cars (if needed) - or swap it to a rental vehicle.

Brian T.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The Garmin Street Pilot is a really good unit.

You can also creat trip routes on your PC and download them to the Garmin.

It's a pretty slick setup, for a portable unit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts