Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

2009 Dodge Challenger 3.5 liter V6 engine, 2008 Dodge Magnum with a 3.5 liter V6 engine, 2008 and 2009 Dodge Charger with a 3.5 liter V6 engine and the 2008 and 2009 Chrysler 300 with a 3.5 liter V6 engine benefit with greater horsepowwer and torque.
[MORE]

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
A little off topic but James Johnston at K&N is one of the nicest people I have dealt with customer service wise. :bigthumb:
:slap:

:cowsmile:

·
Registered
337 Posts
CAI - Horsepower difference with no autostick?

Just bought a 2010 Charger Rallye 3.5L. I was surprised to see that they did away with the autostick shifter on these models. I believe they are only being offered on R/T and SRT8. Question is: will i feel a difference in horsepower/torque on my car if I install a CAI?.....even though I do not have manual shifting capabilities?? Car would most likely shift on its own before reaching higher RPMs?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Your car's shift ability has nothing to do with the intake; the mild HP gains you'll see comes from the hi-flow filter allowing more air into the intake, there's your power gain right there. You'll hear the gain moreso than feel it, I would think. Others who have one on can tell you better; I'm still not sold on getting one myself. Hi-flow filter = more dirt and particulates making their way in, at least, thats how I see it.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Your car's shift ability has nothing to do with the intake; the mild HP gains you'll see comes from the hi-flow filter allowing more air into the intake, there's your power gain right there. You'll hear the gain moreso than feel it, I would think. Others who have one on can tell you better; I'm still not sold on getting one myself. Hi-flow filter = more dirt and particulates making their way in, at least, thats how I see it.
all depends on the material.

todays materials for intake filtration can allow more flow, but filter the same if not better than old school paper.

same as the electrostatically charged filters you run on the air vents in a house/building. filtrete as an example, the way the fibers are formed and pressed, allows more air flow, but filter more that the blue cellulose generics by far. the allergen filters filter more and flow better.

with car intakes, the same process applies. the filter flows more, and the oil in an oiled filter, allows for more "capture" of particles. best of both worlds.

also its not just the filter for the gains....

the stock rubber hose has ridges inside that create turbulence. replacing that with most aftermarket setups where the airflow runs through a smooth non-turbulent tube....keeps the velocity up. this helps lessen the restriction every time an intake valve opens, it makes it easier for the engine to "suck" in air...

remember, the crude primitive way an engine works is

suck
squish
bang
blow

more technically that process is

intake
compression
ignition
exhaust:bigthumb::beerchug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts