Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to order a 2020 Scat Pack, and am town between 2 options.

I will be using the car as a daily driver/family car. I work in San Francisco, and when we return to the office (whenever that is), my daily commute is about 20 miles each way, 18 or so of which are on US 101 heading north from the Peninsula. For those of you that aren't familiar with the area, I'd say the road quality is average, at best, with some areas that are rough. In my 2014 BMW 335i with Sport package that had sport suspension (but not adaptive), and the factory run-flat tires, I felt the ride was borderline harsh. When I swapped out the tires for Continental ExtremeContact DWS06's, the ride was considerably better. It wasn't "plush" by any means, but the road noise as reduced, and some of the harshness softened out. San Francisco city streets are another matter - some have pretty big potholes, and I'm not sure any car even with air suspension could truly "smooth" them out.

So, on to the adaptive suspension. How much more comfortable does this make the car? The way I see it, if this is something I wanted, it seems more cost-effective to just get the Wide Body package ($5,400 invoice) that comes with it and the wider wheels/tires, rather than paying $3k for the Dynamics Package and the Adaptive Suspension. While they both get the same brakes, I think the extra $2,400 for the ability to fit wider wheels (that, to me, look better) and the re-tuned suspension seems like a good ROI. However, I think the big question for me is, how different is the "Street" setting versus what is standard on Scat Packs otherwise? I drove a friend's 2016 SRT 392 that had this option, and noticed a difference between the suspension set in sport and street. My seat time was limited, and I didn't really encounter and rough patches of road, but from what I recall, Street vs. Sport didn't feel hugely different. However, would love feedback for those who have more experience with the different modes.

My sense is that if the adaptive suspension isn't worth the cost for the added comfort, I'd probably do without any of the wide body/dynamics packages, swap out the factory 245 wheels for some decent 275 summer tires all around, and call it a day. While I love the idea of having 6-piston brakes, from what I've read, they don't make much if any difference in street driving. Same with the retuned suspension on the wide body - I'm sure it's better than the standard setup and makes the Charger feel more planted/nimble, but I doubt it changes the driving dynamics to become something entirely different from what it is - a 4,400lb 4-door muscle car.

As for the technology package, the thing that seems the most important to me is the automatic emergency braking. Again, because this is going to be a family vehicle, and I hope I'd never need it, it adds a bit of peace of mind to know that it's there. I've only ever had 1 car that has had this feature - a 2016 Lexus IS350 F-Sport - and at the time, I felt the forward collision warning was way too intrusive, and often confused by shadows, etc. Still, knowing there was a system in place in case I wasn't paying full attention to the road was reassuring. While the idea of adaptive cruise control is nice, I also had this in my Lexus, and only ever used it once. It seemed like a novelty, and it wore off quickly. Also, on the Lexus, it turns off below 35mph. I see that on the Dodge, it will work all the way until a full stop, but I don't know how much I'd trust it. For those of you that have it, will it work in normal stop/go traffic? If so, it could make my morning commutes a bit better which would be huge. However, if it's going to be slow to react and leave huge gaps in between the car in front of you, I'd probably turn it off.

The conflict here is that I can't seem to just get the tech package without also getting the Driver Convenience Group. However, because I'm already planning to get the Plus Group, a lot of the features on the Driver Convenience Group seem redundant, and the only "net new" feature I'd be getting for spending the extra $1,100 (invoice price of the package) would be the HID's which I could add myself for a fraction of that. So, in my mind, I'm considering the technology package a $2,800 adder. For those that have the package, is it worth upwards of $3k?

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
It's so not worth it, that I wouldn't even spend the 5 seconds it takes to search the forums for this question that comes up repeatedly.....

Great that you love the product...not so great that you're so intellectually lazy. Hate to sound harsh....but that search button up there is your friend.

And for those that are keeping score....that was sarcasm. The information being sought is out there and easy to find.

Best,

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
I have the frontal collision avoidance feature on my Trackhawk but it's not available on my Charger SRT because of the SC imtercooler filling that frontal space. It's saved me from a couple of minor but likely very costly fender bender repairs so to me it's definitely worth it. My Trackhawk has an adjustment, near or far which I imagine the Charger has. Set it to near and it won't pester you unecessarily.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
I've got a Challenger SRT with the 3-mode suspension and definitely think it's worth it for improving the ride. Set your tires at 28 psi and it will be even better. Never drove a Charger with adaptive but I think it will ride even smoother than the Challenger. I've driven a Charger Scat Pack and a 392 Super Bee and they have a firm ride which may get old day after day on those bad roads. My take as far as Challenger was that the adaptive in sport rides about like the fixed suspension does all the time and that's just too stiff for everyday use on bad roads imho.

I would get the Widebody but if you're not I would definitely get Dynamics. The 6-piston brakes are great and let you run the dust free Z23 pads and still have plenty of braking. Look at what you will spend on wheels and tires and you could have Dynamics.

And put me down for the technology group too. I think this is the greatest thing for a daily driven commuter car especially where you live with all that traffic. Really makes this type of driving a pleasure and much safer. Yes you might have a false alarm once in a blue moon but not a big deal. Keep it set close as said and almost no issues with it. And easy to cancel with your thumb if things are getting tight. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, it has totally been worth it to me.

And after 4 years and over 20,000 miles, everything on the car is still working like the day I brought it home, it's been a great car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a Challenger SRT with the 3-mode suspension and definitely think it's worth it for improving the ride. Set your tires at 28 psi and it will be even better. Never drove a Charger with adaptive but I think it will ride even smoother than the Challenger. I've driven a Charger Scat Pack and a 392 Super Bee and they have a firm ride which may get old day after day on those bad roads. My take as far as Challenger was that the adaptive in sport rides about like the fixed suspension does all the time and that's just too stiff for everyday use on bad roads imho.

I would get the Widebody but if you're not I would definitely get Dynamics. The 6-piston brakes are great and let you run the dust free Z23 pads and still have plenty of braking. Look at what you will spend on wheels and tires and you could have Dynamics.

And put me down for the technology group too. I think this is the greatest thing for a daily driven commuter car especially where you live with all that traffic. Really makes this type of driving a pleasure and much safer. Yes you might have a false alarm once in a blue moon but not a big deal. Keep it set close as said and almost no issues with it. And easy to cancel with your thumb if things are getting tight. I wouldn't trade mine for anything, it has totally been worth it to me.

And after 4 years and over 20,000 miles, everything on the car is still working like the day I brought it home, it's been a great car.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That's great to hear, and thanks for sharing.

I am thinking that the tech package, even when having to bundle it with the Driver Convenience Group, is still going to be worth the $2,800.

Separately, I realize there are lots of threads asking about the adaptive suspension piece. However, everyone's use case is different, as are their tolerance levels for stiff rides. What is harsh for some might be downright comfy for others. I wanted to provide a bit of context as to where I was coming from, to see if that could narrow down the recommendations. If the base Scat Pack suspension with decent tires is not going to be any more harsh than my 335i with Sport Suspension, I can probably live with it.

All things being equal, I think the adaptive suspension would be an awesome feature to have, and if it were a standalone feature it would be a no brainer. However, because you need to also order the dynamics package or widebody package, it's an extra $3-6k, which to me is not immaterial. Of course, over the course of a monthly payment everything looks incremental, i.e. an extra $50/month gets me X features, but it can quickly become a slippery slope.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I like spending other people's money so I suggest you get every upgrade option possible and after paying for it and driving it for a month then ask yourself that exact same question.

Anything else is opinion.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a 2014 SRT with adaptive suspension.l Can't speak for what it is like without that option but for that that, I don't think I'd spend money on it. Normal ride feels great. But bumping it up and your fillings will fall out on the interstate. It is really just for tight cornering. Does it help in that are? Yes... but how often will that happen.

As far as the tech package... if it includes adaptive cruise control I'd throw my money at it all day. But I don't know if there is the package it comes in. But again, I LOVE adaptive cruise control!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Id say it's not worth it. I had a 5.7 R/T that had the touring suspension. Felt like you were riding in a boat. I have a 392 Super Bee now that only had the sport suspension. It's fine, rides much nicer and handles fairly well. No worse than the suspension on a C300.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I recently traded-in a 2017 Charger SP for a factory order loaded 2020 Charger SP Widebody. I thought the suspension in the 2017 Charger SP with the Dynamics Package was fine for daily driver use. But now, after driving the new car, the adaptive suspension on my 2020 Charger Widebody SP feels much more refined and less rigid.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
It all boils down to the condition of the roads you will be driving on daily... I have the "touring" suspension, the wife's has the "sport" suspension...and I hate hers. It crashes and bangs on every imperfection in the road, and we have a lot of them on the west side of ABQ. The worst are where the pavement cracks and then the crack keeps widening...when it gets to be about 4-5" wide the city fills them in with tar, which works for about a week, then you are left with a bum-crater-bump every 100 feet or so. The sport suspension on her Rallye is too stiff to handle these monstrosities and they actually hurt my back when I drive/ride in her car.

The problem is due to the soil (3 feet of sand on top of volcanic basalt) the constantly shifting ground (we sit on top of a huge magma chamber) and our wildly fluctuating temps - warm afternoons and below freezing nights from November to May. The city/highway department know what is wrong, but they don't have the money to fix all the streets, as to do it properly would be like building an instate with rock, rebar, and concrete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Can't comment on the suspension as I have the fixed and boy it is stiff. But I had to have the safety stuff, lane keeping, blind spot and forward collision. Yes they can be annoying but driving is one of the most dangerous things I do, so anything I can do to make it a little safer is worth it!

·
Registered
762 Posts
I ride in my son's Jeep Wrangler & always ask myself if it rides stiffer than my SP. I'm presuming the Jeep is stiffer, but the fact that I compare the two makes wonder how far apart they really are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts