Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order some of their produsts next week the charger has some fine swirl marks on the hood. the're very faint, but noticeable when the sun hits it. Since i can't afford a PC at this time, I have to do it by hand. This is what I plan on ordering.

Swirl & Haze Remover Car Polish
Adam's True Blue Super-Plush Towels 2-Pak
Super Premium Car Wax Removal Microfiber Buffing Towel
Great White Drying Towel

Car is pretty smooth (baggie test), so it really doesn't need the clay bar yet. I plan on washing it then use the swril removal. anything I'm missing? Those swirls are my wife's (her car and baby) only concern.

Jumkman, Is your discount code still available for us to use?
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
15,804 Posts
There is another thread where he said the 10% is a permanent discount

·
Registered
183 Posts
Dude sell one of your xbox games or something and get a used pc on ebay. You will need arms like superman to get a car done by hand. After you done u wont be able to use your arm for a week it will be soo sore.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Dude sell one of your xbox games or something and get a used pc on ebay. You will need arms like superman to get a car done by hand. After you done u wont be able to use your arm for a week it will be soo sore.
X2. Then get the Adam's kit for the polisher which includes just about everything you need, as well as a how-to CD. I would clay the car before doing any major polishing. All you need is one piece of grit to ruin your hard work. As I recall the Adam's kit comes with a clay bar.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
In order to get rid of those scratches you need to prep the area for the work before you do any polishing. Which means washing and claying the area. Those are all great products, but without a PC (PortaCable), you'll just wear your arm out trying to get rid of those scratches. In order to actually get rid of them, you need a PC.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Well, I couldn't have said it better myself. I guess I'll just say, "What they all just said!"

...and the discount is good for everyone at all times. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only things I have to sell are the Thunderbird and the Charger, and I ain't about sell either one. Looks like I need to find another way. Most likely, putting a big mod on the Thunderbird a bit longer.

I will take everyone's advice and get a PC before tackling this project. Of course, I'll then have to practice on the Ranger and Sable first.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, so now I'm hunting through eBay and see this kit. Please tell me that the price is to good to believe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delu...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Am I correct in saying the pads and cloth is way inferior that Adams?

Then I saw this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffer-Porter-C...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50
I figure buy this and Adams Complete Dual-Action Car Polisher Kit. I would then be set to get a good quality finish on the cars.

Just doing some math. If I bought the used PC for thebuy it now price of $70.00 plus Adams detail kit, I would be at $234. for an extra $50.00 I can have a new polisher. Have to see what the wife says.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Ok, so now I'm hunting through eBay and see this kit. Please tell me that the price is to good to believe. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Delu...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
Am I correct in saying the pads and cloth is way inferior that Adams?

Then I saw this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/Buffer-Porter-C...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1205|293:1|294:50
I figure buy this and Adams Complete Dual-Action Car Polisher Kit. I would then be set to get a good quality finish on the cars.

Just doing some math. If I bought the used PC for thebuy it now price of $70.00 plus Adams detail kit, I would be at $234. for an extra $50.00 I can have a new polisher. Have to see what the wife says.
First of all, the price you see on that PC is for the older model PC. I think Autogeek is selling those old ones new, for the same price. The one that Adam's now sells is the new, 6800 OPM's version PC (not the old 6000 OPM model).

The problem with buying a used PC is that you don't know if it was used properly. Since all of the PC's with the short cords have to be used with an extension cord, there's a chance that the thing may be close to being burned up. The reason why is a LOT of people use the PC with an extension cord that is too small in gauge. This causes the unit to overheat and shortens the life of the PC.

Add to that, the pad kit that you are looking at contains 4 pads, a backing plate and a microfiber towel that you will be able to use. The rest of that stuff is junk. Adam's sells their pad kit and backing plate for $50 and you get exactly what you need including the backing plate. Couple that with my 10% disount and you not only have new equipment, but you get the quality and customer service that Adam's provides along with products made here in America.

Trying to cut corners and save a buck will probably end up costing you way more money than you would have paid by going with Adam's in the first place, especially if you end up getting a faulty PC. I buy certain stuff off eBay regularly but there are certain big ticket items that I would never touch. The PC is one of them. Don't end up screwing yourself by buying some equipment that you can't verify is in perfect condition. The way Adam's stands behind their products, you have the ultimate recourse if something is wrong with your order...

a full refund.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well said junkman. Getting your equipment aka pc,foam gun costs a bit at first but once your done its not bad after that. If peope say well thats a lot of money how much is it to have a pro do it or even worse a new paint job and these are 20-40k cars not some junkers we are driving. Worth every cent:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I've always wondered about folks who want to cut corners with these cars. I am a member of a lot of detailing forums and the cars on these forums are sweet. The Charger is NOT a hooptie daily driver and I would love to have one. I would think that all owners of them would only want the best for their babies. I know I would.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's just hard for me to justify spending $300 at one time on car detailing products. I can't help but think; well would I rather my car be immaculate instead of just really good looking or would I rather have halos? or drop springs? And I tend to go with the latter options.

I do have a question though. When you get the whole detailing kit from Adam's that contains all of the necessary parts, pads, and polishes, how often do you actually use the individual polishes?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It's just hard for me to justify spending $300 at one time on car detailing products. I can't help but think; well would I rather my car be immaculate instead of just really good looking or would I rather have halos? or drop springs? And I tend to go with the latter options.

I do have a question though. When you get the whole detailing kit from Adam's that contains all of the necessary parts, pads, and polishes, how often do you actually use the individual polishes?
The Swirl & Haze Remover in combination with the Orange Pad and PC will be used to correct the damage that is initially on the car. Once you correct the paint, the upkeep will consist of the white pad, the PC and the Fine Machine Polish. You will also continue to apply the wax of your choice. This is all taking in to consideration that you start washing the car correctly (2 bucket wash), which is why your paint gets messed up in the first place.

Here's what you must justify. Ask yourself, "Do I want my paint to pop or just look okay?" If just okay is what you're looking for, don't waste your money. A shine like the one Adam's can give you is somewhat of a commitment. You have to be vigilant in keeping it in shape. Once you get it corrected, it doesn't take much time, but it is a commitment. If you agree to the commitment, the reward can be eye candy. Here's my reward and as you can see, this paint has a unreal shine:

This is PAINT, not glass...

Only you have a clue as to how dedicated you are and only you are going to take care of your car.

The sole reason that I got involved with detailing is because I got tired of paying the "professional" guys $175-$200 a pop, only to not be satisfied with the final result. Thus, I decided to put that money toward the products necessary to do this stuff myself. Three years later, my paint has bling factor that cannot be denied. Was it worth it? I think the pictures speak for themselves.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The sole reason that I got involved with detailing is because I got tired of paying the "professional" guys $175-$200 a pop, only to not be satisfied with the final result. Thus, I decided to put that money toward the products necessary to do this stuff myself. Three years later, my paint has bling factor that cannot be denied. Was it worth it? I think the pictures speak for themselves.
True. While there are things that I may look at and think, I would rather have this on my car than have my paint shine like crazy, the flip side of the coin is that my car could easily pop out as much with immaculate paint as another car with just ok paint would with, say, halos.

Oh, and this is potentially, a dumb question, but will the paint correction take out all the fine scratches? There are some on my trunk lid from the neighbor's cat (my car never sleeps in the driveway after that), the hood, and around the door handle. I can post pictures if you'd like. Scratch-X did little for them (after reading up I know why), and so did waxing (at least, it SEEMED like it helped a little). I can post pictures if you'd like. If the PC/polishes will remove all the little scratches, I may very well buy it next paycheck.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
True. While there are things that I may look at and think, I would rather have this on my car than have my paint shine like crazy, the flip side of the coin is that my car could easily pop out as much with immaculate paint as another car with just ok paint would with, say, halos.

Oh, and this is potentially, a dumb question, but will the paint correction take out all the fine scratches? There are some on my trunk lid from the neighbor's cat (my car never sleeps in the driveway after that), the hood, and around the door handle. I can post pictures if you'd like. Scratch-X did little for them (after reading up I know why), and so did waxing (at least, it SEEMED like it helped a little). I can post pictures if you'd like. If the PC/polishes will remove all the little scratches, I may very well buy it next paycheck.
The PC in the hands of someone who knows how to use it will work wonders. But why take my word for it, let's look st the pictures!

This hood was cleaned with a Brillo pad by the owner's wife. God bless her; her heart was in the right place:

Here's what it looked like after I got done using SHR, FMP, Americana Wax and a PC:

Here it is in direct sunlight showing the damage...

Here it is fixed:

So you ask if it will fix scratches? I'd say that would be a resounding "yea baby!"

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The PC in the hands of someone who knows how to use it will work wonders. But why take my word for it, let's look st the pictures!

This hood was cleaned with a Brillo pad by the owner's wife. God bless her; her heart was in the right place:

Here's what it looked like after I got done using SHR, FMP, Americana Wax and a PC:

Here it is in direct sunlight showing the damage...

Here it is fixed:

So you ask if it will fix scratches? I'd say that would be a resounding "yea baby!"

Holy ****. I'm buying the package, no question. That's freakin' amazing. About how long did it take you to do that half of the hood?

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Holy ****. I'm buying the package, no question. That's freakin' amazing. About how long did it take you to do that half of the hood?
3 hours, but that was with a whole lot of breaks, talking to customers, and generally just being the lazy, slow working soul that I am. :D

I do this stuff in front of whoever will watch at all the shows I attend. I did forget to add that I clayed the hood before I did anything. That doesn't do anything to remove scratches, but it set the paint up for the shine you see in those pictures.

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Hey Junkman, My wife and I were watching you at Carlisle( working on the black car, I forgot if it was a dodge or chrysler, but it had WV tags on it.) All she had to say " that man really knows his stuff". Thanks Junkman, because of you showing how easy the buffer is she brought me one with the pads and all the other goodies.
Your the man...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

I'm just opposite. I'd rather have a great looking shiny car than install a lot of mods. Nothing wrong with mods like halo's springs, exhaust etc... I enjoy admiring all the work people to to customizing their cars at the shows. My wife and it's her car is just happy to have it clean and bug free. I think it's going to take a lot to convince her to get the kit from Adam.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hey Junkman, My wife and I were watching you at Carlisle( working on the black car, I forgot if it was a dodge or chrysler, but it had WV tags on it.) All she had to say " that man really knows his stuff". Thanks Junkman, because of you showing how easy the buffer is she brought me one with the pads and all the other goodies.
Your the man...
Kewl!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker:

That was a Crossfire that I was removing scratch from. You know were my videos are in case you need a refresher course, right? If you have any questions, be sure and look me up! :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts