Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first accident situation I’m dealing with and that too in canada. Any idea how much is this gonna cost. My friend was driving my car and she’s guilty. Is my insurance premium gonna go up as well? Only side airbag has opened. Are they gonna total it? It’s 2019 RT only 50,000km. What’s the best thing to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
I wouldn't put anything on the site that says she's guilty. Im not sure what happend, but that just me .Sometimes less is better. Im going to guess yes on the insurance going up. As far as totaled, I cant answer that. Usually when air bags go off , its not good. More will chime in Im sure . GL

·
Registered
2013 Charger RT Road and Track
351 Posts
The body damage is not that bad. But once airbags get involved it can get weird because when they go off they tend to damage the electronics in the car. If your very lucky they won't total out the car. But if they do repair the car you may have electrical gremlins from this point on. But if your car was the at fault car then yes your insurance will go up.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Sorry to see this, looks to be serious damage so I am assuming with the hidden damages that we don't see along with the very specific way Dodge requires structural components to be replaced, that a good shop will say it is totalled. But not saying that another shop won't attempt an unapproved fix.

I'm curious what she hit as assuming you would be responsible for that damage too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
My initial guess is no, that's not totalled.

For reference, I had a 2010 AWD R/T in 2014 with 60k miles suffer $17k of hail damage and was not totaled.

These times are different and car values are even higher.

As for insurance, we can't really help you with that. It may go up, it may not. Depends on the company, your policy, your driving record, and where you live.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
If its Ontario, the insurance is on the car, not the Driver. So no matter who is driving, its your insurance that is covering this as you gave permission for her to drive it.
Remember, you keep the insurance card always in the car, along with the registration.
Her insurance would not be responsible. You are responsible for your cars coverage.
Now if she pays you cash for the repair and you don't go through insurance than your fine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That does not look all that bad to my eye, you're gonna need new front door, front fender and side airbag + some bodywork under the A-pillar. I'm gonna guess they will be about $1,5k each, so about $6k. But I'm not exactly an insurance underwriter so...

·
Registered
125 Posts
That does not look all that bad to my eye, you're gonna need new front door, front fender and side airbag + some bodywork under the A-pillar. I'm gonna guess they will be about $1,5k each, so about $6k. But I'm not exactly an insurance underwriter so...
My daughter got tagged 2 months ago 2021 Hyundai Venue on the side and it was $3800. New door skin, cleaned the rim and paint on the side.The Charger will be waaay more to repair.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
666 Posts
Got dinged on the right rear door, wheel well trim and rim. New door, new rim, new trim. $4500 repair Door was $1300, rim was $1200, trim which is body color $250, labor, paint.

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is the first accident situation I’m dealing with and that too in canada. Any idea how much is this gonna cost. My friend was driving my car and she’s guilty. Is my insurance premium gonna go up as well? Only side airbag has opened. Are they gonna total it? It’s 2019 RT only 50,000km. What’s the best thing to do.
Yeah, from the pics it doesn't look too bad to me. I'd guess it could be repaired, but I'm not a body man, nor do I play one on TV. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express either.
As far as your insurance, you'd need to call your agent and ask, but logic says your policy pays for repairs. You or the insurance company can then sue the driver to recover your deductible. Some policies will cover a car you were driving even if it didn't belong to you, but again, you'd have to either look at your policy or ask your agent. (Or have your friend look at her policy on whatever car she owns, if any)

Man, this is why I don't lend my car to anyone.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
This is Canada and gonna be way more than 8K, maybe double that. Door frame whacked and probably structural damage underneath and then the dreaded air bag deployment. This is a major repair.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Here are some better pictures. I live in BC, canada. Its was hit by a suv. I don’t think the electronics have damaged. Or may be I’m wrong. So $10k CAD it is?? View attachment 305122
View attachment 305123
View attachment 305124
View attachment 305121
You've got insurance right? So doesn't really matter what it is unless she is now wanting to pay you for it.

$10K ($7,800 USD) still sounds low to me for a quality repair.

What about the SUV, who's paying their damage?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You've got insurance right? So doesn't really matter what it is unless she is now wanting to pay you for it.

$10K ($7,800 USD) still sounds low to me for a quality repair.

What about the SUV, who's paying their damage?

Well she’s willing to pay me. I was thinking of not going to the insurance company because they’re gonna increase my insurance as well. I actually don’t know what’s the better option because I’m new to this. As far as SUV is concerned, he only took my friend’s license at the time of accident so I’m assuming he’s gonna claim against her.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well she’s willing to pay me. I was thinking of not going to the insurance company because they’re gonna increase my insurance as well. I actually don’t know what’s the better option because I’m new to this. As far as SUV is concerned, he only took my friend’s license at the time of accident so I’m assuming he’s gonna claim against her.
Insurance laws vary so much, but here -

Two cars. The driver of your car was at fault.

When someone is driving your car (let's assume the driver has their own insurance), your insurance is the Primary, the driver's insurance is the Secondary.

The person your driver crashed into could, theoretically, sue your insurance and your driver's insurance. In fact, if the car your driver hit has a lawyer, they are spitballing how to do this right now. If they have injuries, they will go after both insurances.

Let's call the driver of the car your driver hit, the victim.

If the victim calls your insurance, your insurance will pay and your premiums will increase. Through the insurance investigation, the victim's insurance will discover the driver of your car has insurance as well. Their premiums will go up.

If you still have a car loan, your insurance requirements most likely have gap coverage to step-in on situations like this. Gap means the insurance pays now and your premiums increase.

How much will your insurance increase? If we are talking total damages of both cars to be in the neighborhood of $20, I would say an easy 30-50% increase to your current premium. If the victim has injuries, more.

This brings me to your friend.

Did your friend have injuries? Remember, we talked about Primary and Secondary insurance. If your friend is injured and contacts a lawyer, they are going after your Primary insurance.

Friends saying they will pay out of pocket and actually paying are two separate things.

The reality is, very few people actually have the means to pay two auto repair bills amounting to $20K.

I feel for you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts