Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2015 Charger with a 5.7 HEMI. I have had several problems already with it. Today I want to tell you about my AC problem. AC started blowing hot air about a week ago. I went through every thing I could find to try and diagnose the problem. It was full of r1234a. No leaks...yet.. Checked fuses, relays etc. The clutch was still running so I was told the compressor is good. BS. I took it to the dealer and was told that the blower motor had come loose , shot through and made a hole in the compressor. Unbelievable? After a run of about 30 miles. I parked and went in for an hour or so. When I went back out there was a 'stream' of fluid under the drivers side of car. It is in the shop today.$ 800 for compressor and $850 labor. This Charger only has 32,200 miles on it.
One more quick story. Took it in for service and the tech asked me had I not noticed the noise under hood. I heard something but had no idea wth it was. Turns out my water pump had come loose and was about to fall off! Do I have a lemon here? Anybody else have issues like these? I have replaced 2 wheel speed sensors already at @300 each. I am selling as soon as I get it back. It is a beauty but....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Hmm, not sure if your post is real or a troll.
#1, there is no compressor that can be holed by the blower motor, the compressor is under the hood and the blower motor is inside the car. Evaporator maybe but that is no way near the word compressor.
#2 AC systems do not leak fluid other than a little bit of oil, as the R134 is a Gas at room temp.So the $1600 for the AC fix based on the stream of fluid leak does not make sense.
#3 No R#1234 in a charger, R134 is the correct name
#4 Water pump falling off? Well maybe the pully on the front of the water pump had come loose (never seen that) or the bearing had failed, which could cause it to wobble, but usually it leaks massivly if it's that bad

Your post is just so full of inconsistances is sounds fake, Sorry if you are having these issues but the title MADCHARGEROWNER that joined 3 hrs ago and already had 6 post again sounds like a troll

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2019 Charger is filled with R-1234yf, I believe it's now legally mandated for all new cars. R-134a is being phased out. So he may not be lying about that part, although there is no such thing as R-1234a. I think he mixed up the letters.

As mentioned, there is no possible way a blower motor could blow a hole in your compressor, they're so far away from each other that they're not even in the same ZIP code - you may need to find a new shop to bring your car to. Either you're confused or your mechanic/service advisor is lying to you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2019 Charger is filled with R-1234yf, I believe it's now legally mandated for all new cars. R-134a is being phased out. So he may not be lying about that part, although there is no such thing as R-1234a. I think he mixed up the letters.

As mentioned, there is no possible way a blower motor could blow a hole in your compressor, they're so far away from each other that they're not even in the same ZIP code - you may need to find a new shop to bring your car to. Either you're confused or your mechanic/service advisor is lying to you.
I am not a troll. I am a 68 year old woman . I just wanted to share what I was told by the man at the service department, My wording may not be as technical as you guys but that is why I am reaching out. I know there is no way this could have happened. Maybe they just like screwing with little old ladies? I think he is a liar and an idiot.I am as real as your own Mother. I swear before God. I know that the blower motor is under my glove box and would have to penetrated the firewall? and traveled all the way to the compressor? That is a long way and an impossiblity. I am just trying to make sense of things.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I am not welcome here because of my limited knowledge of things I apologize. I am just seeking some truth about the things I have experienced as an owner of a damn fine car. I have been lied to and I only wanted some expert advise about wth is really going on with this car. Please feel free to email me. I will give you my address. I am not a troll. I just need answers. Thank you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

He is new there. I don't know who to trust anymore? It is sad that they see an older woman and think we are all gullible? I just hoped to find some answers here. Thank you for you kindness. I did get the letters wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, not sure if your post is real or a troll.
#1, there is no compressor that can be holed by the blower motor, the compressor is under the hood and the blower motor is inside the car. Evaporator maybe but that is no way near the word compressor.
#2 AC systems do not leak fluid other than a little bit of oil, as the R134 is a Gas at room temp.So the $1600 for the AC fix based on the stream of fluid leak does not make sense.
#3 No R#1234 in a charger, R134 is the correct name
#4 Water pump falling off? Well maybe the pully on the front of the water pump had come loose (never seen that) or the bearing had failed, which could cause it to wobble, but usually it leaks massivly if it's that bad

Your post is just so full of inconsistances is sounds fake, Sorry if you are having these issues but the title MADCHARGEROWNER that joined 3 hrs ago and already had 6 post again sounds like a troll
I am not a troll. I am seeking some truth. I am a 68 year old woman that is tired of being treated like a moron. I came here to find answers. Sorry if I responded to too many posts. I find them interesting. I am not mechanically inclined so my posts do sound like folklore. I apologize if I offended you with my interest in things. I will leave if I offend you. Sorry.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
Many mechanics see nothing but dollar signs when a woman brings a car in for repair, it is very hard to find an honest one at a dealership or a "service center" (Firestone, Pep Boys, Jiffy Lube, etc) try to find a local mom& pop shop that has good word of mouth (Angie's list, BBB, etc).

The water pumps on these are prone to failure at about the mileage yours has, but they will leak a lot of coolant when they go bad (likely the fluid you mention under the car)

·
Registered
17 Posts
These are 2 different incidents. Months apart. I will try to find a trustworthy one somewhere. Thank you!
I would do research online for mechanics, find one with the best reviews and go to them. Tell them to inspect only first, and have them print a list of items/work needed. Then you can come here and post it and we can see if it makes sense and let you know. It’s always good to get multiple opinions. You can even try another dealership. Good luck ma’am.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Well, I stand corrected, did not know about R1234YF. I learned something today. Thanks.

You do need to find a trustworthy mechanic, the ones your talking to are just taking your money and preying on you.
Sad, but it happen far to often.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I must admit that there are some mechanics who will take advantage of women customers. May they all burn in hell. That said, is there a man that you trust, a son, grandson, neighbor, pastor, etc that would be willing to take your car in to have it looked at/worked on? Men seem to be jerked around a lot less than women by these guys. Maybe even reach out to your local news station, "7 Can Help", or "6 On Your Side" that could do a expose' on these people? Seems like a good human interest story.

As an aside, I can totally see this happening to my wife. I have tried to school her on things like this but she is just not interested in the least. It took nearly a decade after we were married for her to get comfortable pumping her own gas. (I would do it for her before that) She did not even have a drivers license when we got married!

Good luck and let us know how this turns out.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Grandma M:
You are 100% welcome here! I for one, and I know others would agree, that it's pretty cool that you are driving a V8 Charger at 78. My mom, is 77, and drives a BORING '17 Buick Encore, that is gutless.
It's obvious you are frustrated, and from your story, you have every right to be.

As mentioned, logistically, there is no way the HVAC blower could affect the compressor, since one is inside the passenger compartment, and the other is out under the hood. The stream of fluid you were seeing might have been condensate (water) from the evap core drain which is normal when the compressor runs.

The 5.7L water pumps are a well known issue. 2015 was THE year for them to all be a problem. Your powertrain warranty for that car was 5 years/ 100K miles. If this was still in effect when the water pump went, the repair should have been at no charge. I would have HOPED that your dealer, knowing the history behind the 5.7L WPs, would have done that for you as a good will repair!

Since the compressor was turning, there had to be refrigerant in the system. I would have to question their diagnosis.

If you really like your Charger, I hope you keep it, and hang out here now and then. We all enjoy our cars, as well as helping fellow Charger owners with their problems.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Grandma M:
You are 100% welcome here! I for one, and I know others would agree, that it's pretty cool that you are driving a V8 Charger at 78. My mom, is 77, and drives a BORING '17 Buick Encore, that is gutless.
It's obvious you are frustrated, and from your story, you have every right to be.

As mentioned, logistically, there is no way the HVAC blower could affect the compressor, since one is inside the passenger compartment, and the other is out under the hood. The stream of fluid you were seeing might have been condensate (water) from the evap core drain which is normal when the compressor runs.

The 5.7L water pumps are a well known issue. 2015 was THE year for them to all be a problem. Your powertrain warranty for that car was 5 years/ 100K miles. If this was still in effect when the water pump went, the repair should have been at no charge. I would have HOPED that your dealer, knowing the history behind the 5.7L WPs, would have done that for you as a good will repair!

Since the compressor was turning, there had to be refrigerant in the system. I would have to question their diagnosis.

If you really like your Charger, I hope you keep it, and hang out here now and then. We all enjoy our cars, as well as helping fellow Charger owners with their problems.

Don
You are very kind. Thank you. I however must correct something I am 68 not 78. I have always loved the fast cars. My first car was a Plymouth GTX 440 dark green with black vinyl top. I would go to a local dragstrip some Saturdays and race the guys . I always won. LOL I love my Charger but I fear there will be more problems since there is only 32,256 miles on it? I just paid 1,552 to replace the compressor. Compressor was 756.51 ,refrigerant ,R1234YF was 261.00 and the lubricant for compressor was 40.25. I spoke with Dodge about the issue and they are going to review it and call me back.Hopefully they will help with some of the cost. I did tell the service writer that the blower was inside the car and it was impossible for it to hit the compressor. He said let me check the problem again.. When I picked the car up he felt the need to explain that he was thinking about some sort of van from a previous place he worked. Yeah right buddy. lol They really do treat women like we are idiots. I told him I could repair it myself if I had the tools.
They did not charge me to tighten the water pump back on.

Again ,thank you for your kindness and help. I will hang out here. I like learning things especially about cars.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Mea Culpa on the extra 10 years. I stand corrected! I will also second the comment about any mechanic or shop that would take advantage of anyone. I really hope that FCA steps up, and covers some if not all of the cost of such a repair.
I think I would have demanded they put that diagnosis on the service sheet word for word. Here again, yet another dealer has earned the term "stealership!"

The sad thing here, is if they treated you this way, Lord knows what other shenanigans they are pulling on other folks every day.

Don

·
Registered
297 Posts
The car here might be a 'lemon' ..... I think, yes, logically, 1-st year of production vehicles will have problems.
And it started with "AC blowing hot air"
I do have a problem of "AC blowing cold air" in the season change. Autumn to Winter. When I star to feel, that keeping temperature indicator on LOW is cold, I go up usually till 18 Celsius, sometimes 20. But on the season change this 20 feels as colder than LOW. When this happens I usually do:
turning Climate off / on
opening windows and turning Climate off / on
after 5 - 10 mins of such manipulations, it starts to work as expected.

Btw, in lady's case surprised by the very high amounts of money, dealership asked to pay......

Have a good luck in fixing the problem and have a great car back!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I do have a problem of "AC blowing cold air" in the season change. Autumn to Winter. When I star to feel, that keeping temperature indicator on LOW is cold, I go up usually till 18 Celsius, sometimes 20. But on the season change this 20 feels as colder than LOW. When this happens I usually do:
turning Climate off / on
opening windows and turning Climate off / on
after 5 - 10 mins of such manipulations, it starts to work as expected.
Lol- I do something similar whenever I experience any blend issues.
Usually reverts back to normal after a few hot/cold cycles that are driver-passenger independent.

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
The blend issues can be solved by turning off the climate system and letting all the little actuators return to their "home" position BEFORE you turn off the ignition..only takes 10-15 seconds and keeps the body control module from getting Alzheimer's. It also helps the actuators last a long time (I hate replacing those things)

·
Registered
9 Posts
The blend issues can be solved by turning off the climate system and letting all the little actuators return to their "home" position BEFORE you turn off the ignition..only takes 10-15 seconds and keeps the body control module from getting Alzheimer's. It also helps the actuators last a long time (I hate replacing those things)
Not doubting you, but are you sure this is needed? The reason I ask is because I never turn climate control off before shutting down the car. After turning it off I can hear doors returning to a default position.

or do you mean if it does get messed up this is a way to reset it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts