Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started today, driving me insane as I travel in my car for work and it's -30C with the wind chill. How do I make it stop. (Tried using forum search with no luck.):driving:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it gets faster when I turn the fan speed up... doesn't change with any of the blowing positions. (Does that make sense)

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I think it gets faster when I turn the fan speed up... doesn't change with any of the blowing positions. (Does that make sense)
It does.

If it is the fan itself, then it will change with fan speed and won't change with vent door position.

Let's assume it is the fan first.

Did it suddenly start happening when the temperatures dropped?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does.

If it is the fan itself, then it will change with fan speed and won't change with vent door position.

By blowing positions I meant like windshield or feet or feet/face positions.

It went down to -29c last night.. but this happened during the day when it was only -19c, after my car had been on the road for 7 hours.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
By blowing positions I meant like windshield or feet or feet/face positions.

It went down to -29c last night.. but this happened during the day when it was only -19c, after my car had been on the road for 7 hours.
Yes, I know what you meant (and I wasn't going to get silly) ;)

Here's what you need to try next...

Put the vent selection on anything that does not include defrost (windshield). Turn the recirc button on and turn the heat up to max with the fan on the highest speed. Let it run this way until it is roasting hot inside and see if the squeaking goes away.

You can do this while driving but you may start to experience some interior fogging/frosting on the windows.

What I suspect are two things. First is that the cold air has contracted the parts on the fan and they are now rubbing causing the squeak. The second is that the dry air is robbing the parts of a little moisture to lubricate the rotating surfaces and eliminate the noise.

By doing what I suggested you will change both of those things and the sound may stop.

If it does not change, then it's time to get into the assembly and apply a little spot lube (we can talk about the easiest way to do that after we see if the first part works)

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I know what you meant (and I wasn't going to get silly) ;)

Here's what you need to try next...

Put the vent selection on anything that does not include defrost (windshield). Turn the recirc button on and turn the heat up to max with the fan on the highest speed. Let it run this way until it is roasting hot inside and see if the squeaking goes away.

You can do this while driving but you may start to experience some interior fogging/frosting on the windows.

What I suspect are two things. First is that the cold air has contracted the parts on the fan and they are now rubbing causing the squeak. The second is that the dry air is robbing the parts of a little moisture to lubricate the rotating surfaces and eliminate the noise.

By doing what I suggested you will change both of those things and the sound may stop.

If it does not change, then it's time to get into the assembly and apply a little spot lube (we can talk about the easiest way to do that after we see if the first part works)
Thanks! I will try it tomorrow morning when I head into work. It is dry out and bloody cold. I hope it fixes itself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an older thread, but I'm not finding much else online about this. This sounds exactly what is going on with my charger. I tried the suggested Heat blasting method a couple of times, but have not had luck so far. It has gotten significantly colder and drier here recently so I was suspicious. Any chance you'd be able to give me an idea of where to lubricate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
It does.

Hey, mine is 2015 R/T and I think the vent door is the cause of my issue.

It makes a good 3-4 seconds loud noise when I open the AC. Plus the dealer didn't fix it and I'm lost about this issue now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts