Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the process for replacing the ABS control module? Will I need to get the new/used unit reprogrammed or initialized after installing? 06 Dodge Charger SRT8.

Thanks,

Chris L.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The ABS Control Unit includes the Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) and the Antilock Brake Module (ABM). I assume when you say you're replacing the ABS Control Module that you're replacing the HCU and ABM (HCU is the top part and the ABM is the bottom part of the ABS Control Unit assembly).

Regarding any requirements to get the new/used unit reprogrammed or initialized after installing ...
Brake systems with ABS must be bled as two independent braking systems. The non-ABS portion of the brake system is to be bled the same as any non-ABS system. The ABS portion of the brake system must be bled separately.

Use the following sequence when bleeding the ABS system:
1. Make sure all hydraulic fluid lines are installed and properly torqued.
2. Connect a scan tool to the OBD2/CAN connector. This is located under the dash on the driver side.
3. Using the scan tool, check to make sure the ABM does not have any fault codes stored. If it does, clear them.
*Note: Scan tool must be capable of reading/clearing ABS codes.
4. Bleed the base brake system using standard brake bleeding procedures.
5. Using the scan tool, select ECU VIEW, followed by ABS MISCELLANEOUS FUNCTIONS to access bleeding. Follow the instructions displayed. When finished, disconnect the scan tool and proceed.
*Note: This scan tool must be equivalent to the dealership wiTech scan tool in order to access the ECU View and instructions.
6. Bleed the base brake system a second time. Check brake fluid level in the reservoir periodically to prevent emptying and causing air to enter the hydraulic system.
7. Fill the master cylinder fluid reservoir to the MAX level.

I personally have not used the wiTech scan tool to bleed the ABS system, so I don't know what the ECU View and instructions contain. Either a dealership or auto brake shop will know what's involved.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The ABS module does not need to be reprogrammed but it may require initialization. In the older model Charger Service Guides they just say to run diagnostics and clear all codes. In the newer model Charger Service Guides they say ...
"If the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, Steering Column Control Module (SCCM), Brake Pedal Pressure (BPP) Sensor, or the Dynamics Sensor was replaced, the ABS Module must be initialized using the scan tool. If not initialized, the ABS indicator will flash continuously. If the ABS module or the Dynamic Sensor was replaced, there may be a Dynamic Sensor DTC active. There will be no indication if the SCCM is replaced, but the ABS initialization should be run to make sure there are no SCCM DTCs. To initialize the ABS Module and clear offsets have wheels pointing straight ahead and follow the directions on the scan tool."

·
Registered
24 Posts
The ABS module does not need to be reprogrammed but it may require initialization. In the older model Charger Service Guides they just say to run diagnostics and clear all codes. In the newer model Charger Service Guides they say ...
"If the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Module, Steering Column Control Module (SCCM), Brake Pedal Pressure (BPP) Sensor, or the Dynamics Sensor was replaced, the ABS Module must be initialized using the scan tool. If not initialized, the ABS indicator will flash continuously. If the ABS module or the Dynamic Sensor was replaced, there may be a Dynamic Sensor DTC active. There will be no indication if the SCCM is replaced, but the ABS initialization should be run to make sure there are no SCCM DTCs. To initialize the ABS Module and clear offsets have wheels pointing straight ahead and follow the directions on the scan tool."
Gotcha the reason i ask is because i recently swapped my abs module from my 08srt to my 07 rt (swapped the srt Powertrain into the rt) and I’m getting a mismatch vin code and the cars acting like it’s in limp mode but the scanner shows the transmission isn’t in limp mode there’s no codes on the transmission 3 small codes on the pcm and a few on the abs module

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Did the SRT or RT have adaptive cruise control (ACC) ? The ABS module is mounted on the HCU (hydraulic control unit). If the car has ACC the ABS module and the HCU must be replaced as an assembly ... not separately.
The ABS module also communicates with the ESC (electronic stability control). The ESC program notifies the powertrain control module (PCM) when engine torque change or a transmission shift are required to avoid wheel slip and maintain stability.
What are the PCM and ABS codes?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Did the SRT or RT have adaptive cruise control (ACC) ? The ABS module is mounted on the HCU (hydraulic control unit). If the car has ACC the ABS module and the HCU must be replaced as an assembly ... not separately.
The ABS module also communicates with the ESC (electronic stability control). The ESC program notifies the powertrain control module (PCM) when engine torque change or a transmission shift are required to avoid wheel slip and maintain stability.
Pcm codes where o2 senors and a oil temp switch..abs was mismatch vin, a steering sensor code..and 1 or 2 others I’ll pull off the scanner tomorrow

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’ll look into the acc cruise control

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have u140e code, a c121c ,c121a and c2205

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts