Charger Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a local guy to install my halos for me but he said he wouldn't recommend doing such a thing and he said I shouldn't because after I open the headlight seal, there is all this problem I will deal with later on like moisture and other crap.

My question for most of you guys who did it by yourself is this.... did you had any problem with your install? moisture? blown bulbs? ummm cracks? and how long have you had your halos on for?

If I send this thing to AAC, I am looking at spending about $350+ (getting an extra headlight, shipping and their almost $200 install fee) I rather do it myself even though I haven't done such a thing but my issue is making sure the headlight is seal properly without any problem like moisture and all that crap.

I will appreciate yall help, tips and feedbacks because I am thinking about taking off sometime this week and do it.

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
I asked a local guy to install my halos for me but he said he wouldn't recommend doing such a thing and he said I shouldn't because after I open the headlight seal, there is all this problem I will deal with later on like moisture and other crap.

My question for most of you guys who did it by yourself is this.... did you had any problem with your install? moisture? blown bulbs? ummm cracks? and how long have you had your halos on for?

If I send this thing to AAC, I am looking at spending about $350+ (getting an extra headlight, shipping and their almost $200 install fee) I rather do it myself even though I haven't done such a thing but my issue is making sure the headlight is seal properly without any problem like moisture and all that crap.

I will appreciate yall help, tips and feedbacks because I am thinking about taking off sometime this week and do it.
I've had CCFL's and Led's now with no problems...Just take your time and be patient...Here's a thread on How to do everything...Check on the install for ccfl's, which is the same as LED's but no need to use inverters:)...
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67858

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Yep, Had my AAC LED Halos in since May with no problems here in the midwest. As mentioned, if you are that worried about possible moisture, then just run some extra silicone around the edge to ensure it's sealed. Follow the instructions posted on here for taking them apart and you will be just fine. I too was worried before I took mine apart, but after doing it, it's not all that hard or overwhelming of a job.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I actually had moisture problems before I got the AAC halos. I have the aftermarket projector headlights and it recommends to not use HIDs. I've had the AAC HIDs for a long time now and have had no problems. I've had the AAC halos for awhile now and installing them, I fixed my moisture problem. Just have to make sure you have an even amount of silicone around the whole edge and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
8,719 Posts
I too have had ccfl's and led's. I haven't had any problems with either. like others have said, use a little extra silicone and you're golden.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Same here. Take a little time and care and it's no big deal.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I am going for it. Ok I am not afraid about the baking aspect of it anymore. Now, I dont know a thing about electrical connecting and I dont know much about the wiring. Do you need to know alot about electrical wiring to do this?

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
I think I am going for it. Ok I am not afraid about the baking aspect of it anymore. Now, I dont know a thing about electrical connecting and I dont know much about the wiring. Do you need to know alot about electrical wiring to do this?
Not a whole lot. There are a bunch of write-ups that talk about where you can route things. The one bit of advice I'd like to give you is this: absolutely for-sure-for-sure isolate and seal all the wires. Each halo ring has two wires. From AAC you'll get plastic clips for these wires to go into. Then you'll have two wires coming off the inverters and those wires go into a black plastic clip too. This is designed so the clip from the halo and the clip from the inverter act like a plug. (This will make complete sense when you open you package and look at stuff.) DON'T use the clips. Get rid of them entirely. Go wire to wire directly and seal that connection. Physically separate the two wires. That way even a slight bit of moisture that gets near the wire can't short BETWEEN them. The little plastic clips don't offer enough distance for safety.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
If he has the LED halos, there are no inverters or clips. It's a simple power and ground that he can wire up as he chooses.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I agree with the wiring, just make sure to seal all connections and you will be fine. If doing the ccfl's, then you should also run inline fuses. I ran each inverter into a fuse block and also had inline fuse where my power was tapped from the cigg. lighter. Take your time and do it yourself, in the end you will get more out of it knowing you did the install yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts