Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got into my car tonight, and when the uconnect booted up I was greeted with a screen that couldn't be closed requiring me to schedule a time for an OTA update. No big deal, I set a time for late overnight and it cleared the window.

But...there was no sound from the speakers. Moving the volume knob did nothing. I tried changing stations and the window popped up again. Every time I would set a time to clear the screen and switch screens to something like NAV the window kept popping up. No audio, no navigation, no bluetooth. And no control over my A/C which was nuts. Not even the physical buttons worked.

Thankfully it was a short trip and it's nice outside right now in North Texas...so I drove on without radio or hvac. At one point it started updated as I was driving...(the screen even said the car should be in park and off). I ran my errand and when I got back into the Charger it had a window saying the update completed. No more popup to update....but still no audio or control. I tried turning the car on and off and then the update window started popping up again!

So I drove home figuring I'd be in for a long night of figuring out how to get to the dealer menu and force a factory reset...I got home, put my stuff away, went back outside, turned the car on, and everything was working again, as if nothing had been wrong at all. Looked through the menu, saw a new version number: 18.43.01. From research online, it's an update to deal with the GPS rollover issue.

So beware, if you see the window and your sound goes away during the update... it will hopefully resolve itself after some time and a few on/off cycles. About 30 minutes total in my case. Hopefully it doesn't give you grief as it did me.

It's still stupid the thing can't just update itself at 3am without incessantly bothering me. Makes me remember it can advertise to me too (get premium uconnect for 30% off!). I'm an IT guy so I'm cool with technology but sometimes...

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
I got the update notification just as I was pulling into the parking lot of Home Depot.. I set it to update right then. By the time I came out 1/2 hour later the update was done and everything worked fine.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So I got into my car tonight, and when the uconnect booted up I was greeted with a screen that couldn't be closed requiring me to schedule a time for an OTA update. No big deal, I set a time for late overnight and it cleared the window.

But...there was no sound from the speakers. Moving the volume knob did nothing. I tried changing stations and the window popped up again. Every time I would set a time to clear the screen and switch screens to something like NAV the window kept popping up. No audio, no navigation, no bluetooth. And no control over my A/C which was nuts. Not even the physical buttons worked.

Thankfully it was a short trip and it's nice outside right now in North Texas...so I drove on without radio or hvac. At one point it started updated as I was driving...(the screen even said the car should be in park and off). I ran my errand and when I got back into the Charger it had a window saying the update completed. No more popup to update....but still no audio or control. I tried turning the car on and off and then the update window started popping up again!

So I drove home figuring I'd be in for a long night of figuring out how to get to the dealer menu and force a factory reset...I got home, put my stuff away, went back outside, turned the car on, and everything was working again, as if nothing had been wrong at all. Looked through the menu, saw a new version number: 18.43.01. From research online, it's an update to deal with the GPS rollover issue.

So beware, if you see the window and your sound goes away during the update... it will hopefully resolve itself after some time and a few on/off cycles. About 30 minutes total in my case. Hopefully it doesn't give you grief as it did me.

It's still stupid the thing can't just update itself at 3am without incessantly bothering me. Makes me remember it can advertise to me too (get premium uconnect for 30% off!). I'm an IT guy so I'm cool with technology but sometimes...
Sorry for the inconvenience this caused! If you notice any unusual instances after the update, feel welcome to shoot me a PM for further review.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
331 Posts
If I understand this correctly, the update is only for the cars with navigation, to correct a bug associated with the GPS/time. True?

If so, then my car would not be getting it, and hopefully won't give me this update while I'm on vacation. (leaving soon) Should I leave my car outside of my garage for a while and see if an update tries to hit it? It would suck if I got that pop up during a ~1200 mile road trip. Does the update address other issues besides the GPS bug?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So my experience was similar, but after about 4-5 tries to set up a time it told me the update failed--see your dealer. Then the window popped up again. As i pulled into my destination i set it up for 1min later and turned off the car. Went to leave after an hour and everything was working again so i figured the update had been done. Checked-- but i still have 17.43.01. Haven't seen the pop up since, it's been 2 days.
.I have the RA3 but forked over the $600 to FCA to add NAV.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I haven't gotten the update yet, but I haven't driven it for a bit because I've been getting our other car ready for winter. I was planning on taking it out today so maybe I'll see it later.

It shouldn't have started the update without your permission, as that is what it sounds like it did to you in some way. The message was put in place due to some updates that were pushed through on the 2018's when they 1st came out. The 1st few updates gave no warning beforehand to vehicles causing all sorts of havoc to owners. Granted the issues were more on the early model 2018 Durango's in 2017, which is when I got my Durango, but I've heard a few Charger owners had problems too. I bought my 2018 Charger in June of last year, and it has always popped up on the screen telling me beforehand. My Durango didn't do that, and force pushed itself into Uconnect until sometime early last year.

The last couple of times I've gotten an update I thought it gave you some jargon about what the update will do, and what you can and can't do while it is updating. I also thought it said you could shouldn't drive it, as you would experience problems such as what you described. I'm guessing restarting the car while it was doing the update probably reset it's progress. From what I do recall it normally takes about 45 mins to an hour to complete it's update procedure.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
If I understand this correctly, the update is only for the cars with navigation, to correct a bug associated with the GPS/time. True?

If so, then my car would not be getting it, and hopefully won't give me this update while I'm on vacation. (leaving soon) Should I leave my car outside of my garage for a while and see if an update tries to hit it? It would suck if I got that pop up during a ~1200 mile road trip. Does the update address other issues besides the GPS bug?
Hello! The recent OTA release is geared towards the RA3/RA4 radios to address GPS functions. If you have you this radio and the update has not hit your radio yet, it may come later. However, you're welcome to PM us if you need further assistance with anything.

Steph
DodgeCares

So my experience was similar, but after about 4-5 tries to set up a time it told me the update failed--see your dealer. Then the window popped up again. As i pulled into my destination i set it up for 1min later and turned off the car. Went to leave after an hour and everything was working again so i figured the update had been done. Checked-- but i still have 17.43.01. Haven't seen the pop up since, it's been 2 days. .I have the RA3 but forked over the $600 to FCA to add NAV.
I'm sorry the previous level is still showing. Feel free to shoot us a PM and we can check into this on our end for you.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 Charger SXT Rallye had that issue today also. Got in the car no audio, no AC, kept asking for the update even after scheduling it. Well the update happened while I was driving... what ? Yes, while I was driving, it wouldn’t shift out of second gear, topping 4k RPM. Had to pull over to let it continue the update, to avoid over revving, and any malfunction that could cause a wreck. Why would Dodge even allow an update like this, that affects the driving system, to happen while driving? This is unsafe.
Yes also I do have a short video of the experience.

·
Registered
821 Posts
My 2015 Charger SXT Rallye had that issue today also. Got in the car no audio, no AC, kept asking for the update even after scheduling it. Well the update happened while I was driving... what ? Yes, while I was driving, it wouldn’t shift out of second gear, topping 4k RPM. Had to pull over to let it continue the update, to avoid over revving, and any malfunction that could cause a wreck. Why would Dodge even allow an update like this, that affects the driving system, to happen while driving? This is unsafe.
You NEED to file a NHTSA complaint - https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ You handled the situation without issue. The next person this happens to may not react in the way that you did, and it could result in injury or death. FCA appears to have no interest in addressing ANY issues that owners bring to their attention, no matter how serious. One merely needs to browse this forum and look at multiple instances of people with serious issues - things like gas tanks leaking raw fuel into the passenger compartment - where FCA does nothing.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Well, this update certainly appears to be "not yet ready for prime time". I was out yesterday and got the message, so I scheduled it for 5pm. After the next stop, when I started the car again, I had to go through the schedule again. After the next stop, you guessed it...I had to do it again. But this time I lost my radio sound. The radio appeared to work, just no sound. So onward I drove towards home. A couple of miles from home, my AC started cycling off and on. Okay, no big deal. I could suffer with no AC and no radio for a few more minutes. AC came back must as I got home, but still no radio. So I decided to wait until the update schedule.

Well, I decided I would replace my mirror since it was such a nice day. Went to the car, started it up to roll the windows down, and got the message again. This time I scheduled it for immediately. And I proceeded to change my mirror out. About an hour later mirror was done. I started the car, and I had music back, and AC seemed to be working right. So I checked the version number, and what do you know...17.11.04. It did not upgrade. Hmmm.

Now what? I can't schedule it unless the message pops up, and it's not popping up anymore.

·
Registered
821 Posts
....So I drove home figuring I'd be in for a long night of figuring out how to get to the dealer menu and force a factory reset...I got home, put my stuff away, went back outside, turned the car on, and everything was working again, as if nothing had been wrong at all. Looked through the menu, saw a new version number: 18.43.01. From research online, it's an update to deal with the GPS rollover issue. ....
Anything built after 1999 - the last rollover - should have been configured via firmware to handle this one. While the newer cars are getting updates OTA, there's a bunch of people with cars just out of warranty that have NAV - or even just autoset clocks - that don't work, and cannot be fixed. This makes me curious about my 2018, as it has no NAV but does have a GPS receiver for autoset, and compass functions. Car is sitting at a dealer right now having a long standing coolant leak addressed. - slight drip I've been topping off for a year and a half. See my other post... Didn't want to pollute this one too much, but I think they probably have to disconnect the battery to complete what they did to the car this time....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! The recent OTA release is geared towards the RA3/RA4 radios to address GPS functions. If you have you this radio and the update has not hit your radio yet, it may come later. However, you're welcome to PM us if you need further assistance with anything.

Steph
DodgeCares

I'm sorry the previous level is still showing. Feel free to shoot us a PM and we can check into this on our end for you.

Steph
DodgeCares
Mine is the same way.... update failed I haven't had music for 3 days now because it wont let me play 😤😤😤🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I was jus wondering did you have the 3g symbol at the bottom

Did you get a resolution

·
Registered
2 Posts

Steph
DodgeCares

Steph
DodgeCares
I have a 17 charger R/T with nav. Occasionally the system will freeze within a minute of startup, the current screen will stay on the display (backup camera or nav). After a few minutes the system will re-boot and function normally. Dealer said nothing wrong and sw was current. Will this update help?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Mine is the same way.... update failed I haven't had music for 3 days now because it wont let me play 😤😤😤🤬🤬🤬
I'm sorry the update wasn't successful. Feel free to shoot me a PM and I can look into further resources on my end for you.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I have a 17 charger R/T with nav. Occasionally the system will freeze within a minute of startup, the current screen will stay on the display (backup camera or nav). After a few minutes the system will re-boot and function normally. Dealer said nothing wrong and sw was current. Will this update help?
The recent FOTA update primarily addresses GPA functions, however, we can check to see if there's any additional information on this for you. Feel free to PM us your VIN.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I'm very sorry this happened to you! If you're noticing any additional concerns after the update, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to look into your concerns.

Steph
DodgeCares

·
Registered
22 Posts
So, about 3 or 4 days ago I got a meesage on my screen that says there is going to be an update coming. But nothing has happened and no update yet. The last time I got an update in my 2012 charger SRT, there was no warning or preliminary message.

Has anyone else received a message saying an update is coming? I wish I had taken a picture of the message before I cleared it. After reading these posts, I didn't want to be out driving when it comes thru.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts