Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - so here's the deal..
A couple weeks ago I was in an accident.. My front fender and fascia needed replaced. Okay.
Well as I was picking the car up and my guy commented on a "ticking" sound... He said he thought it was sometype of valve.
Well - being the typical female - I just turn the radio up a little louder..
Well the other day I noticed the sound getting louder. I asked a few of my club members and they told me to take it to the dealer.
Here's the thing, I'm a female walking in, and I don't want to be told a "story."
What do I need to know when I take it to them. My car is still under warranty, and they probably won't do anything because my car isn't broken, but the noise isn't normal.
So I'll take all advice.

Side note: I did check my oil and it's still at a good level. I think i'm 7k into this oil. Yes - it's Quantum Blue. :)

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What side of the motor is the "Tick" coming from?
Ummmm.. the general area?
maybe like the back part? it seriously goes " tick tick tick" kind of a rattling sound i guess.. maybe like vibrating.

Brian called me and talked with me. After explaining some items. I made an appointment for tomorrow with the Dealer to have it looked at.
Thank you Brian for calling and talking me through some things!

I'll let you guys know the outcome

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yah, the high vaporpoint of the QB might have dried out you PCV, making it louder, or I could totally be talkin' out my butt, I'm interested to see! LOL

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yah, the high vaporpoint of the QB might have dried out you PCV, making it louder, or I could totally be talkin' out my butt, I'm interested to see! LOL
i'm going to go with talking out of your butt, Robin!

I'll def. give an update once I take it to the shop!!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
BigBlackRT08,

I talked to a friend of mine that is the head service advisor at his dealership and asked him about the noise and the 3.5L, and he said that they have seen a fair amount of 3.5L engines coming in with a ticking/rattling sound.

The upper shaft on the SOHC moves back and forth (which it shouldn't do!) and causes the components to rattle. He told me that there is a repair kit that changes how it is assembled anchoring the shaft much better to eliminate the noise.

Obviously we can't diagnose the problem from the forum so we will have to wait on eatsalot7 to tell us what she found with the dealership.:)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I hope you guys don't think I was trying to blame the QB...a higher vapor point in your oil is a good thing! I've heard of peoples catch cans running dry after putting QB in, so I thought maybe the pcv valve might get louder do to "dry air" going through...just a dumb theory on my part.

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I hope you guys don't think I was trying to blame the QB...a higher vapor point in your oil is a good thing! I've heard of peoples catch cans running dry after putting QB in, so I thought maybe the pcv valve might get louder do to "dry air" going through...just a dumb theory on my part.
No worries!!!, I didn't think that for a minute!! Just wanted to update you on what we talked about and what theories we have on the noise.

PCV doesn't need lubrication so it is just happy being dry. Glad to hear about the other catch cans that were dry too. Many experiencing that these days with our oils.

Thanks for the clarification though!:bigthumb:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040

·
Registered
584 Posts
Okay - so here's the deal..
A couple weeks ago I was in an accident.. My front fender and fascia needed replaced. Okay.
Well as I was picking the car up and my guy commented on a "ticking" sound... He said he thought it was sometype of valve.
Well - being the typical female - I just turn the radio up a little louder..
Well the other day I noticed the sound getting louder. I asked a few of my club members and they told me to take it to the dealer.
Here's the thing, I'm a female walking in, and I don't want to be told a "story."
What do I need to know when I take it to them. My car is still under warranty, and they probably won't do anything because my car isn't broken, but the noise isn't normal.
So I'll take all advice.

Side note: I did check my oil and it's still at a good level. I think i'm 7k into this oil. Yes - it's Quantum Blue. :)
i hope you find out! i listened to my engine (i took it in once before and they said it was my fuel injectors making the noise), and my sound is only coming from the front of the car on the passanger side. Hopefully you find out something different then i did! keep us up to date!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Hello....

Maybe it's that Hemi tick... Or maybe it's your car telling you to fix your headlights :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i hope you find out! i listened to my engine (i took it in once before and they said it was my fuel injectors making the noise), and my sound is only coming from the front of the car on the passanger side. Hopefully you find out something different then i did! keep us up to date!
I will... I dropped it off at the dealer last night.... So hopefully i'll know something this morning.... I wouldn't be concerned but it keeps getting louder, and it's not a good sound!

Hello....

Maybe it's that Hemi tick... Or maybe it's your car telling you to fix your headlights :biggrinjester:
Jerk.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The theory is... that I'm a quart low on oil.. so looks like I need oil!

Brian - I'll be calllllllling!!

·
Registered
2,407 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Hmmm good luck with stealerships

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was trying to be helpful... Jeez :biggrinjester:
Yeah - I know how you can be helpful!

Hmmm good luck with stealerships
Thanks Jason. I'm totally buying this. So I ordered new oil today & i'm going to do a change this weekend. Then we will see what happens.. I have connections at another stealership.. So I might try them next time...

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
new Update... I got my car back.. checked the oil... and it's in the middle.. So I don't know what crack they were smokin..
Additionally, I had my dad listen to the noise and he said that is not an oil sound.. and it's coming from the right side of the engine. listening to it again, it does sound like a rattling noise. So now i'm even more ticked off with this dealership.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts