Charger Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recentlly changed the rotors and pads on the wifes car. Today I got a call from her about 35 minutes after she left to go to school. She was stuck on tghe side of the road with the left front caliper wrapped all the way around to the front of the rotor. I went to help her and saw that it had stretched the brake line but didnt wreck it. Long story short, these bolts are near impossible to find. I went to every parts house within a twenty mile radios, as well as three Dodge dealers. i was told I was not going to find the bolt anywhere, by every parts counter at every Dodge dealer. They all said the same thing, we will have to order it from the Dodge plant. It will take about 2-3 weeks. Well I leave to go to work this weekend so that wont work for me. I went and bought two bolts the same thread and pitch and went to a machine shop and had them machine the last 3/16 or so of thread off so that the bolt could thread into the caliper and rest in the dead hole. Only cost me 1.75 for the bolts and I slipped my man a five for his time. Now that I got the car home I checked every caliper bolt and they were all loose. When I changed pads I torqued the bolts back to spec, they all worked loose. I have now added locktight so this wont be a problem again, I suggest anyone who has changed pads, go check the caliper mounting bolts, and maybe even add some locktite.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
the calibur slides and bolts come in a kit from mopar and can be had the same or next day. the bolts are very soft and are really meant to be replaced at a brake pad change along with the slides-they are $19 a side for the fronts and $22 for the set of 4 for the rears. i just replaced all 4 of mine because the bolts striped off 3 of the calibur's at less then 10 pounds of torque. you should have checked the slides-you would have seen that the zinc plating on the slides was damaged or worn.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
You don't happen to have a part number do 'ya? I want to save that info for the next time I do pads. I'm sure I'm past the failure point now, but that all would have been good to know when I changed out the pads!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Thanks for the 'heads up.' There's likely a brake job in my near future...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
no i dont but if you have the dealer run your vin # they can look them up quick. at 15000 miles the zinc plating on the slides were all torn up and have deep marks in the from sliding back and forth in the steel sleave that press fitted into the caliburs. replacing them took care of a crack noice i had whemn making a corner and hitting the brakes [it was more like a binding noise] my wwere really dry from the factory so i lubed the new ones up with calibur slide grease.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats nice to know now, but thanks for the info. I wonder why all three dealerships told me they couldnt get the bolts. Maybe because I was saying I needed the "bolts" and didnt clarify I would be willing to buy any kit that had them in it. I hate people!

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
the same thing kind of happened to me. i painted my calipers a couple weeks ago and took the wheel and caliper off to get better coverage. put the calipers and everything back on, made sure the bolts were nice and tight. the next weekend my caliper decals came in so i went to put them on. when i got around to the drivers side rear caliper i noticed it was VERY loose. took the wheel off and i could turn the bolts w/ my hand. so i tightened it up and checked the other ones which were all tight still.

i wasnt really sure why that one came loose but i'm guessing it is related to what yall are talking about

·
Registered
53 Posts
Is this problem exclusive to 2007 and back or should this be a concern for me with a 2009. I'm hoping to at least get to the rear rotors and pads this weekend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts