Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled up to a stop light next to a Ford Fusion ST. Just the way the car looked I knew he was going to stomp on it. I decided to do the same of course. The road turned into one lane about 100 yards away. Light turns green and we both go. Lo and behold he's keeping right up with me. It took most of that hundred yards for me to get ahead and I'm still not sure he didn't let off. Now I'm fairly new to SRT8's but I really thought I would have left him in the dust. Am I assuming too much? There was a huge weight difference and I know the Fusion ST's can have a 200 HP V6. I'm just kind of disappointed I guess.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
It's just simple physics. Based on you car's 1/4 times and that car's 1/4 mile times, I calculate that at 100 yards or so (330') you would be pulling him by about 28' (1-1/2 car lengths).

If you got ahead of him by something close to that, then you are running right where you should.

If you ran him for the full 1/4 mile you would have smoked him by more than a full second (about 9-10 car lengths).

300' isn't enough of a distance to really see how fast any stock car is. You have a 4200 lb car that really doesn't launch well compared to some others and they will grab you for the first few hundred feet before you reel them in and smoke them at the finish line.

Drag racing 101.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I'm not a racer so I was taken by surprise. Leigh your explanation I feel better about the situation.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Ddaddy is right!

Those STs are pretty damn quick though, with a tune they're dirty. One damn near smoked me a while back...a story very similar to yours. I made a thread about the whole thing just like you also haha.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The only one I have run was from a 15 roll and I killed him. From a dig if I know it's coming I just pull it up against the converter (1,000 rpms) and at Light change I let off the brake and roll into the throttle to keep the spinning down and I usually do ok. You have to remeber if you dead pedal it you were probably spnining a bit and spinining isn't winning. Also that car has more gear than you and it's lighter so for a short sprint 0-50ish it isn't a surprise that it hung with you a little. However by no means is a Focus ST as fast as a SRT.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was definitely spinning a little. I have to say the little bastard Ford pissed me off.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
One of the few times I had my V6, AWD Charger at the dragstrip, I kind of assumed I'd lose to just about everything, but I wanted to see what it could do anyway.

I had a little hope for a win when I lined up next to a 4x4 diesel pickup truck... WRONG!! :eek:

It was after that I learned what kinds of tuners and aftermarket are available for those beasts!

·
Super Moderator
11,618 Posts
The road turned into one lane about 100 yards away.

It took most of that hundred yards for me to get ahead and I'm still not sure he didn't let off.
Sounds like this could have gone a lot worse for you.

Dangerous situation...pretty much playing chicken...

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
A few years back I had a Hyundai Sonata Turbo that I ran from about 80 to 130 and it took me until at least 110 to pull away. He had upped his boost and for the first 25mph I was not pulling on him. It was not until I got to higher speeds that I was able to pull away.

I usually find a similar result running the BMW 335i twin turbo. If I am in the wrong spot in the gears they will be right with me until we can get to higher speeds.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
A few years back I had a Hyundai Sonata Turbo that I ran from about 80 to 130 and it took me until at least 110 to pull away. He had upped his boost and for the first 25mph I was not pulling on him. It was not until I got to higher speeds that I was able to pull away.

I usually find a similar result running the BMW 335i twin turbo. If I am in the wrong spot in the gears they will be right with me until we can get to higher speeds.
Yeah thats the problem with our tranny and gearing, I find if I am above 60 mph and hit the gas it only drops down to third and although it is accelerating it isn't as hard as when I actually paddle shift it down to second at 60-65 mph and the rpm's come up to about 4500. It's a whole different race then. My buddies 07 Subie with mods and upped boost hung with me good when I just left it in drive and hit from a 60 roll up until about 90 and it only dropped down to third, however once I paddled it down to second and we hit them I blew his doors off was not even in the real of close. He later asked what the heck did I do, even hinted that I had hidden nitrous until I explained it to him and took him for a ride. Thats why I usually just paddle shift, it's more fun and I can put the car into the right RPM range without hoping the tranny does it.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Exactly

At least you have the 6.4, which has more bottom end. On the 6.1 there are big dead spots where cars that run mid 14s or so can hang with you till you get RPMs over 4500

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
I was showing my son something similar last week

It actually pulls more like an OHC engine coming on the cam than it does a big block pushrod engine

Of course the Hellcat won't have that problem!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well I was taunted by a Audi TT on I 40 coming home from Greensboro a few weeks back . He was trying to pick a race with me . He was in the fast lane rocking back and forth with me . So he rocked forward and I jumped him we were doing 70ish got right on his ass pushed him down the lane drafted him as close as I could with out touching him ! he couldn't pull away ! I looked down and was doing 120 ! he then moves over and try's to race door to door so I nailed it !!! my needle stops at 160 **** it let eat!!!
Audi tt nowhere to be found had to slow down to find him ! and I did . I rolled down my window and mock him he had new paper plates on his car I yelled take that POS back !! Damn that felt good! drove it home washed it and put in the garage .

·
Registered
40 Posts
Must have been a Focus ST, as there is no Fusion model. I actually traded in my 2013 Focus ST for my 2014 RT 100th. I loved that focus. Super nimble, surprising amount of cargo room, and it was QUICK. I just had an air filter, Borla catback, and a tune, and it put down roughly 250whp and 315wtq. Not bad for a 3300lb hatch. Pulled like crazy up to about 80, then it tapered off a bit, but it was still a damn quick car. I just got tired of daily driving stick after 8 years of manual cars, wanted something bigger, more comfy, and automatic. Helllloooooo Charger. :)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Well I was taunted by a Audi TT on I 40 coming home from Greensboro a few weeks back . He was trying to pick a race with me . He was in the fast lane rocking back and forth with me . So he rocked forward and I jumped him we were doing 70ish got right on his ass pushed him down the lane drafted him as close as I could with out touching him ! he couldn't pull away ! I looked down and was doing 120 ! he then moves over and try's to race door to door so I nailed it !!! my needle stops at 160 **** it let eat!!!
Audi tt nowhere to be found had to slow down to find him ! and I did . I rolled down my window and mock him he had new paper plates on his car I yelled take that POS back !! Damn that felt good! drove it home washed it and put in the garage .
Sorry, this story isn't making you look as cool and badass as you'd like to think. Riding up someone's ass on an interstate going 120 MPH is incredibly stupid. If he had to slam on the brakes for any reason at all it could've killed both of you very easily. And God knows how may lives you put at risk.

Of course, that's assuming any of the above actually happened.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Don't remember asking for your approval !

I do like your taste in hockey ! go Devils! I'm from Jersey as well

rangers SUCK!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Don't remember asking for your approval !

I do like your taste in hockey ! go Devils! I'm from Jersey as well

rangers SUCK!
Ok easy fellas:beer chug: Nobody on here needs any ones approval as grown men and women as to what we do with our cars and lives, however we do need the Administrators approval on what we post and if it get's into the f off realm they will squash this perfectly good and fun thread. Lets not ruin this. I have seen way too much in the past. :beerchug::banana:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts