Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I saw a thread about this some time ago, but can't find it now.

Anyways, whenever I start my car up my A/C smells, very much like cat pee. It goes away after a couple of minutes, but not very pleasant while it is stankin'. Not sure if it is due to being hot when starting it up, or if it is always like that now.

Anyone with these issues?

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Have you installed a cabin air filter? That might help. I've never noticed ours stinking though, and we don't have one....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Does it always happen, or just in certain locations? What I'm getting at is if it happens at home and doesn't happen at work, or the store, or wherever it is that you go, there's a good chance that there's a cat in your area (assuming your not parked in the garage) that is "living" under your car at night. Could cause the smell of the cat and everything associated with the cat to make it's way toward the intake for the cabin air...

Just a thought, chances are slim, but you might want to look for this evidence as I have seen it happen to 2 of my friends.

By the way, moth balls keep cats away. Just in case.

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
mine is stinky sometimes when i turn it on, generally only when i first start the car, but it goes away when i let it run. If i start the car, drive a bit then turn it on it doesnt smell tho.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
There is a TSB for this problem for 05-07 LXs.The #24-006-06.It says musty smell from A/C at start up,and hot and humid climates.The A/C cooling coils need to be cleaned with special cleaner.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Wow! Gonna check into the TSB, mine smelled kinda funky today when she started up....

·
Premium Member
5,668 Posts
yeah today was so humid it was hazy out, and sure enough it was stale smelling. It's only for a few seconds though, think its in any way damaging to not have fixed?

·
Registered
703 Posts
LOL..gots everyone out sniffin the A/C tonight..

·
Registered
623 Posts
There is a TSB for this problem for 05-07 LXs.The #24-006-06.It says musty smell from A/C at start up,and hot and humid climates.The A/C cooling coils need to be cleaned with special cleaner.
Funny, I've noticed this lately. I wonder if theRe's a TSB for '08 models...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The TSB only mentions the 05-07,But there may be a update.As long it under warranty,I would mention this TSB to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
I have no smell in my car and it is almost 3 years old OOO I only have 6K on it still smells brand new

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
You just brought back memories, my kid and his friend were pillow fighting
in the garage. One of them left the pillow on the ground, I sit on a hill so when
I pull up I cant see the pillow sitting on the ground. It rolls up under the hood
and smoke flowed through my A/C. I was like WTF is going on, I pop the hood
and see the burnt pillow I was very lucky it didnt light the car on fire.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I have the same problem, I asked the dealership this morning and they said two ways to solve it.
1.) drill small hole in unit and inject a nuetralizer...149.00
2.) drain AC unit let sit and refill...I forgot to ask how much

Option 1 is what they were saying works the best. :dunno: I'm going to look into the TSB as well.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Tsb 24-006-06

I have no smell in my car and it is almost 3 years old OOO I only have 6K on it still smells brand new.

2005-2007 LX 300/Charger/Magnum

QTY. Part Number

3 5170022AA A/C coil 8 oz cleaner

1 4728942ab Coating a/c cooling coil 8oz

1 4596501AB Cabin air filter if reqp.

I just had to spray my 2005 Ram 2500 turbo when I put the a/c on it would smell must or like pee it stunk bad

I used BG Frigi Fresh one can did the job.

First you start your vehicle and then put the a/c on NOT one rec but let the fresh air in put it on high spray it threw your cowl panel on the outside of your vehicle up where your wipers are.

I hope this helps you.:driving::driving:

·
Registered
329 Posts
My 08 does this. It's from mold on the coils.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i had this same issue with my 1500 ram took it to the dealer and there was a tsb they hooked two cans of some sort of cleaner and ran the ac for a while took care of the issue and neveer had that smell again

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine does this as well (2008), it really smells for a few minutes then goes away. If it is mold on the coils how do I get rid of it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts