Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on everyone, I have a 17’ scat pack I’ve had for about 2 weeks. I’ve only filled it with 91 premium fuel. Tonight I drove to a Royal Farms to fill up and saw they didn’t have premium and my only options were to either leave and pick up my premium from Wawa down the road or fill up with 93 super. Then I saw the price. Super was a couple cents cheaper than the premium I usually get at wawa... Skeptical on whether the quality was low or they just have lower prices with same quality as wawa, I filled up with super. Is there any additional benefits to using 93 over 91 long term? If the price is cheaper or even very similar, I can see just going with the super at Royal Farms regularly now. This topic is certainly beating a dead horse but who cares, let’s get today’s opinions and experiences.

·
Registered
343 Posts
'Sup No Neil.

17 Scatty here. Also in Octane Red. When I go to Costco, they only have 87 and 93, so I get 93. It is cheaper than premium(91) at any of the regular gas stations in my area. The cherry on top is Costco has Top Tier fuel. Top Tier Gas.
Google results say that you will see little to no benefit from using 93 instead of 91. So when at a regular gas station, even if they have both 91 and 93 in the same pump, I choose 91. That is what the engine was designed to use.

Now if you put on a power adder and/or get a tune, you can optimize things to run on 93 octane and get a boost in performance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'Sup No Neil.

17 Scatty here. Also in Octane Red. When I go to Costco, they only have 87 and 93, so I get 93. It is cheaper than premium(91) at any of the regular gas stations in my area. The cherry on top is Costco has Top Tier fuel. Top Tier Gas.
Google results say that you will see little to no benefit from using 93 instead of 91. So when at a regular gas station, even if they have both 91 and 93 in the same pump, I choose 91. That is what the engine was designed to use.

Now if you put on a power adder and/or get a tune, you can optimize things to run on 93 octane and get a boost in performance.
It’s a beautiful color isn’t it. I wonder why that is with the prices? I know Costco typically has better gas prices than most gas stations but I wonder why it’s that much especially comparing with 93 to 91. I wouldn’t expect any performance or mpg gain with 93 over 91 but maybe overall cleaner engine with all the internals possibly over a long period of time? Things maybe not wear as much as quick? I don’t know, just random thoughts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
91 octane isn't sold around where I live. I've been using 93 since I drove it off the lot 2.5 years ago. Lately, I'm doing 4gals of E85 and then filling it the rest of the way with 93. Subjectively, the car seems to idle more smoothly and I save about $4 on that tank of gas. Debating if I'm going to add the mod to run 100% flex fuel or not since I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the car.

Best,

·
Registered
343 Posts
Noneill,

The cheap gas at costco is their way to entice you to become a member and shop at their warehouse.

Just 91 vs 93 will not reduce wear or make things cleaner. It's the top tier gas with good detergents that will keep things cleaner. That is why I posted the top tier link

·
Registered
218 Posts
In your case of 93 being cheaper then 91 at another station may be because the 93 contained less additives, such as detergents. Another reason could be because gasoline prices can vary by a few cents based on the location of the station even within a few miles. Usually stations closer to Interstates will be a few cents more than ones a few miles away.

Use the octane that the vehicle's manual calls for. Using a slightly higher octane won't really hurt. There is a possibility that you might lose a little power by going with a much higher octane but this is doubtful going up 2 points.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I use 91 unless the station doesn't sell it then I'll use 93. Last fill up I paid 2.58 a gallon for 91. Currently 93 is up to 2.98 at a couple local stations that carry it and not one station in a 50 mile (rural) radius has pricing that favors 93 over 91.

I keep ECO mode on most of the time, so in my case i doubt there is any need; performance, or cost advantage, to use 93 over 91.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I use 93 most of the time, but that's because you rarely see 91 around here (Southeast Pennsylvania). I know of one Sunoco that has 87, 89, 91, and 93, but pretty much everyone else is 87, 89, 93.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts