Charger Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with 93 octane hard to find in many areas, I was wondering if anybody knows of a good, reliable way to increase octane by 2 points.

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
so far as I know it is not possible. Do not try the "Octane boosters" sold in most auto parts tores. They only add octane by basis points, ie tenths of a point. So a booster adding 2 "points" raises 91 octane to 91.2.

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can mix Toluene which is 114 octane with lower octane pump gas

14.5 gal of 91 octane and 1.5 gal of Toluene gives you 16 gallons of 93.16 fuel

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/toluene/

Toluene is one of the things typically used in those octane additives, but as you can see a 12oz bottle won't do much when you need 1.5 gallons to raise the octane rating of a full tank by 2.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
with 93 octane hard to find in many areas, I was wondering if anybody knows of a good, reliable way to increase octane by 2 points.
Is you car knocking with 91? (or are you just hoping for more power?)

·
Registered
377 Posts
How about LUCAS octane booster.They sell it Autozone & it brings it up 30 oct. points or 3 oct.numbers.That would put you at 94 oct.Anybody try this product yet?I heard that LUCAS sales a good product.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wondering what areas you are referring to where 93 wouldn't be available. If you had said alternate fuel or diesel I would understand but Gas is gas, you can always put in a few bucks of lower grade to get to the next pump for 93. Addling octane appears to be not such a good idea.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Same here. That's all that's around here. i haven't seen 91 in at least a year
Kansas City metro area. On the Kansas side all we get is 87, 89 and 91.

·
Registered
6,081 Posts
How about LUCAS octane booster.They sell it Autozone & it brings it up 30 oct. points or 3 oct.numbers.That would put you at 94 oct.Anybody try this product yet?I heard that LUCAS sales a good product.
Anyone who believes that a few ounces of Lucas product is going to have any impact on the octane of a tank of gas is free to bid on this shiny new bridge I've got for sale in Brooklyn. The chemistry just doesn't work that way. Toluene is the way to go here. However, unless the guy is experiencing detonation with the available "store bought" 91, it seems like a whole lot of effort/expense for no tangible benefit. Last time I bought some, toluene was running about $8-9/gallon at my local Sherwin-Williams paint store.

Best,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts