Charger Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Thanks for checking out my post. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways. I am coming up on 90,000 miles on my 2008 2.7 Liter. I bought the car in 2009 with about 30,000 miles on it, and since I have bought it I have not done a whole lot maintenance wise. I have kept up with oil changes every 3,000 miles, air filters, and done alignments and tire rotations, fixing small things here and there. I HAVE NOT replaced any of the spark plugs, done a fuel flush, a coolant flush, replaced or checked any of the belts, done blinker fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, or really anything else. So I know I have a lot of work to do. My question is, with limited funds, what do I need to have done? Can I do any of it on my own? Where should I go to get it done? And any other information you guys can help me out with is much appreciated.

Thanks again for checking this out and answering any of my questions.

Happy New Year!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Hey everybody,

Thanks for checking out my post. I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways. I am coming up on 90,000 miles on my 2008 2.7 Liter. I bought the car in 2009 with about 30,000 miles on it, and since I have bought it I have not done a whole lot maintenance wise. I have kept up with oil changes every 3,000 miles, air filters, and done alignments and tire rotations, fixing small things here and there. I HAVE NOT replaced any of the spark plugs, done a fuel flush, a coolant flush, replaced or checked any of the belts, done blinker fluid, transmission fluid, differential fluid, or really anything else. So I know I have a lot of work to do. My question is, with limited funds, what do I need to have done? Can I do any of it on my own? Where should I go to get it done? And any other information you guys can help me out with is much appreciated.

Thanks again for checking this out and answering any of my questions.

Happy New Year!:bigthumb:
Blinker fluid :biggrinjester:

Here's what you should get done:
Power Steering Fluid
Differential Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Coolant Flush
Change PCV valve (Why? Because it's cheap, like a couple of bucks, and takes two minutes to replace)

As for the belts, probably a good idea to take a look and check out your manual too, that'll tell ya what to look out for.

Not saying you have to do it all at once mind you, if you go another 10K it wont kill your car if you do these one at a time because it can be expensive.

Don't worry about the plugs, unless your car is running like crap and you mileage has gone down for the count your plugs are more than likely fine. Also, check your manual, oil changes for 2008 is only needed every 6K miles so you can save yourself some money instead of doing it every 3K. The idea about 3K miles is needed for an oil change is a way to get you to spend more money. It really does not apply to modern cars anymore. Also, no need for a gas flush, it's a waste of money and probably do more harm than good. Gas already has plenty of cleaning agents you don't need to flush it out unless your gas went bad at some point. I might have forgotten something but someone else may fill in any blanks.

Happy New Year! :beerchug:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Blinker fluid :biggrinjester:

Here's what you should get done:
Power Steering Fluid
Differential Fluid
Transmission Fluid
Coolant Flush
Change PCV valve (Why? Because it's cheap, like a couple of bucks, and takes two minutes to replace)

As for the belts, probably a good idea to take a look and check out your manual too, that'll tell ya what to look out for.

Not saying you have to do it all at once mind you, if you go another 10K it wont kill your car if you do these one at a time because it can be expensive.

Don't worry about the plugs, unless your car is running like crap and you mileage has gone down for the count your plugs are more than likely fine. Also, check your manual, oil changes for 2008 is only needed every 6K miles so you can save yourself some money instead of doing it every 3K. The idea about 3K miles is needed for an oil change is a way to get you to spend more money. It really does not apply to modern cars anymore. Also, no need for a gas flush, it's a waste of money and probably do more harm than good. Gas already has plenty of cleaning agents you don't need to flush it out unless your gas went bad at some point. I might have forgotten something but someone else may fill in any blanks.

Happy New Year! :beerchug:
Thanks for the great reply!!!!!

Ha yeah the blinker fluid was something I heard about and seemed kind of irrelevant.

This is all great information! Which of these things (if any) would I be able to do on my own?

Where is the best/cheapest place to get these things done?

I have looked up the PCV valve as well, and some people said that there is no PCV valve in the 2.7 liter. Is that true?

Thanks again!!!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
No need to change the blinker fluid unless you get the warning light on the dash...

:biggrinjester:

In terms of what you can do yourself, it depends on your skill level. Can you change your own oil and filter? Are you comfortable putting your car up on jackstands and working under it? Can you change a set of spark plugs?

If the answer is "yes" to all of those, then you can do most of it yourself. Tthe coolant flush is messy and unless you have a good way to collect and dispose of the old coolant, I'd have it done at a shop)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No need to change the blinker fluid unless you get the warning light on the dash...

:biggrinjester:

In terms of what you can do yourself, it depends on your skill level. Can you change your own oil and filter? Are you comfortable putting your car up on jackstands and working under it? Can you change a set of spark plugs?

If the answer is "yes" to all of those, then you can do most of it yourself. Tthe coolant flush is messy and unless you have a good way to collect and dispose of the old coolant, I'd have it done at a shop)
Good to know about the blinker fluid. I haven't seen that light yet so I think it's all good:D
There are certain things that I am comfortable doing, I do think that I can do the spark plugs, because I have seen tutorials online and read the manual, and also seen the page on here on how to do it. I'm pretty confident that I can do it.

Thanks a lot for your reply!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
Well the transmission is difficult because our cars do not come with a dip stick, just a cap that says "Dealer Only" to scare off DYI guys. However, you can buy your own dip stick, I know it's floating somewhere around in the forum, Google might help in this instance. As for differential you can do it but the "How to" tutorial on this forum does not drain all of the fluid only some of it, a good amount though so at least you're putting in fresh differential fluid.

For pretty much all the DYIs for your car check out "How Do I...EVERYTHING!" thread, it'll be your new virtual car bible.

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
If you want, we can provide you with the best materials to do the change with.

QuantumBlue Custom Blended Engine Oil and Free QB Filter

QuantumBlue ATF+4++IIa trans fluid and a QuantumBlue Ultra Trans Filter

QuantumBlue 75w120 HP Tackifed red Gear lube

ACES IV Formula + 8 oz squeeze bottle.

We could do a package deal for you and get you the best quality for your 2008.:bigthumb:

We can provide any and all advice on what is the best way to get it done....what you can do yourself and what would be better left to professionals. Just give us a call!;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the transmission is difficult because our cars do not come with a dip stick, just a cap that says "Dealer Only" to scare off DYI guys. However, you can buy your own dip stick, I know it's floating somewhere around in the forum, Google might help in this instance. As for differential you can do it but the "How to" tutorial on this forum does not drain all of the fluid only some of it, a good amount though so at least you're putting in fresh differential fluid.

For pretty much all the DYIs for your car check out "How Do I...EVERYTHING!" thread, it'll be your new virtual car bible.
I've heard about that transmission cap cover before haha, good to know I can do that myself. Thanks again for the info!:clap:

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you want, we can provide you with the best materials to do the change with.

QuantumBlue Custom Blended Engine Oil and Free QB Filter

QuantumBlue 75w120 HP Tackifed red Gear lube

ACES IV Formula + 8 oz squeeze bottle.

We could do a package deal for you and get you the best quality for your 2008.:bigthumb:

We can provide any and all advice on what is the best way to get it done....what you can do yourself and what would be better left to professionals. Just give us a call!;)

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
How are your guys' prices? I would be interested, but I am a college students and don't have a ton of money;)

·
Vendor
10,370 Posts
How are your guys' prices? I would be interested, but I am a college students and don't have a ton of money;)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Engine Oil and Free QB Filter $100.00 for 8 quarts good for 10 to 12k miles and free filter

$100.00 for 2 gallons/8 quarts + $21.36 for the QB trans filter. Good for 60k miles of use.

QuantumBlue 75w120 HP Tackifed red Gear lube $50.00 for 1 gallon/4 quarts.

ACES IV Formula + 8 oz squeeze bottle. $65.00 for enough to do 13 tanks of 15 gallons of fuel.

We could do a package deal for you and get you the best quality for your 2008.

$100+$100+$21.36 + $50.00 +$65.00 + free shipping. = $336.36.

Obviously, you can choose any combination you want and get the free shipping. We want to help all people here especially those who don't have money falling out of their pockets......like college students.:beerchug:

Regards,
Brian
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts