Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased the car, the tank was filled for me. On the first fill up I did, I put in 87 regular. I went looking in the manual to see what kind of gas to put in, and it says 89. What does everyone else run?

Will the one tank of 87 make that much of a difference? :whistle:

·
Registered
732 Posts
I went to the station with the salesman and put in 91 octane, that's what I'm going to use through the break in period. I may consider 89 later but it's .10 more per gallon for the 91, so why not splurge and get the higher octane :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
hey go mango! i believe the owners manual states not to use 91...i will have to look but i remember reading that on the potty one night. hehe. so 91 shouldn't be used at all, it doesn't do anything for the engine. man i wish i remember where i saw that....i am looking right now. but it said something along the line that 89 was the highest you should use as the engine is setup for that octane.....i have used 87 and 89 back and forth lately...first 6000 miles nothing but 89, but honestly haven't noticed any change on the engine at 87...still prefer 89 though.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
GoDaddy said:
hey go mango! i believe the owners manual states not to use 91...i will have to look but i remember reading that on the potty one night. hehe. so 91 shouldn't be used at all, it doesn't do anything for the engine. man i wish i remember where i saw that....i am looking right now. but it said something along the line that 89 was the highest you should use as the engine is setup for that octane.....i have used 87 and 89 back and forth lately...first 6000 miles nothing but 89, but honestly haven't noticed any change on the engine at 87...still prefer 89 though.

Too much information!!!

I remember seeing something about it else where. Never use higher octane than what is recomended. I'll try to find my source....

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've always used high octane in my cars, it helps with detonation. I'd rather have the extra protection, some people say that it can produce deposits in the engine, I'm not worried, I'll blow them out :)

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
sorry crazy_luck - from now on i will refer to it as the "library"....lol

·
Registered
441 Posts
My dads company has big gas tanks by our warehouse for the trucks and our vehicles(transports), and we get the gas filled with 91 oct, which we use for everything that needs gasoline. We get 91 oct because two of our vehicles require premium gas ( E320 and Viper ).

·
Registered
732 Posts
What's not talked about is most computers will retard your timing if you don't have a high enough octane which makes the engine produce less power. Hi octane is a guarantee, that’s all. I will not be ignorant thow, I'll look into what the manual says and see if I can make sense of it.

·
Registered
197 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have used 87 and the car felt sluggish of the line and when i needed to acclerate fast. With 89 the response is a lot better. I will never go back to 87.

·
Registered
245 Posts
buzz69 said:
I have used 87 and the car felt sluggish of the line and when i needed to acclerate fast. With 89 the response is a lot better. I will never go back to 87.
You are lucky, in Co. we have 91,87,85. I run 87 in mine and it runs great, I wonder if I should try to run 91?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Go mango you must be rich. 91 octane is way too expensive. It would cost me almost 60 bucks a week on fuel. I agree with the alternating method of 87/89. I am curious though has anyone here actually had engine knock from the low grade.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Blue_Streak said:
Go mango you must be rich. 91 octane is way too expensive. It would cost me almost 60 bucks a week on fuel. I agree with the alternating method of 87/89. I am curious though has anyone here actually had engine knock from the low grade.
Not me............

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Blue_Streak said:
I am curious though has anyone here actually had engine knock from the low grade.
with the computer control ans sensors you will not hear a knock if you ran 80 octane... it the computers will retard the timing to adjust for the lower octane... which will result in less power....

I am going to run 89 in mine for the first couple fill ups... then will run 87 for daily driving... if I know I am heading to the track or whatever... I will put a tank of higher octane in again... but for daily driving... with doing over 25,000 a year... that little bit of a difference adds up....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Go ManGo! said:
I've always used high octane in my cars, it helps with detonation. I'd rather have the extra protection, some people say that it can produce deposits in the engine, I'm not worried, I'll blow them out :)
Actually, quality gasoline with the proper levels of detergents and such protect your engine from deposits.

For a good editorial/article on this subject go to:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9752&page_number=1

Talks about octane and Top Tier gasolines.

So now, if i am going to pay a dime more for gas, I go to Shell or another Top Tier company and get Top Tier 89 octane, as that is the recomended octane for my SXT. :happy:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I use 89. I ran 87 on the second fill up,and my mileage went down 1 -2 MPG.Went back to 89,and it's better.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Woudn't use anything less than 87, but, I think most important is to use a fuel system cleaner in a tank every 3000 miles or so. The Chevron/Techron additive has the best reviews. Black bottle sells for about $5.00. Also, the Lucas fuel system additive is good.

Gas quality suffers in meeting EPA standards (formulated). Also, use gas within 45 days. It goes bad (varnish like) sooner than it ever has.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Blue_Streak said:
I'm not rich, but I only drive about 50 miles a week. At .10 cents a gallon more it's only 1.90 a tank more for 91 octane. Ask how many people run 89 octane at the drags? So why should it be any different on the steet if that's the recommended fuel :whistle:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts