Charger Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 Charger was replaced with a 2013 and I need to replace one speaker due to damage from the body shop so I figured I would get an upgraded set. I know the 28 comes with 1" dome tweeters and the 11 comes with 3.5" 2-ways and they both come with 6x9" midbass speaker for the doors. First, does the 6x9" midbass have a bypass filter wired inline to cut out the highs or do they just run the full range signal through them? Second, I have seen the 28 listed as the upgrade set for base six speaker system and the 11 listed as the upgrade set for the Premium system but is there any reason not to use the 11 to upgrade a base six speaker system? In the rear am am just going to use the 77KICK06 in the rear.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Do you have premium or base sound in the car? In the OEM 6-speaker premium amplified systems, the door mids and dash 3.5's that come in the stock system are crossed over around 400 Hz and that occurs in the amp itself. The dash 3.5's get 400 Hz and up, and the doors get 400 Hz and below. If you put the 28's in there at best you'll be missing a range of sound that the 1" tweets can't play, between 400 and a couple thousand Hz, or at worst you will blow them. Using the 3.5's will probably give you better sound. The full range 06 coaxial set are correct for the rear deck, which gets a full range signal. They are good for the doors in the 4 speaker base radio, which gets a full range signal.

The comparable Kicker speaker that are the Mopar upgrades are the Kicker KS line. (EDIT) They are good speakers, but for the Mopar-price, you can get much better speakers or save bucks getting the retail KS 3.5 and 6x9.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you have premium or base sound in the car?

It is a Police Street Appearance V6 with the 3.4" dash display so I always assumed it was a base six speaker system. The front doors and rear deck both use the same part number 4 ohm paper cone 6x9" and the dash uses a set of 8 ohm 3.5" paper cones. All six speakers are even marked "BASE 15W" on the back.

In the OEM 6-speaker premium amplified systems, the door mids and dash 3.5's that come in the stock system are crossed over around 400 Hz and that occurs in the amp itself. The dash 3.5's get 400 Hz and up, and the doors get 400 Hz and below.

That's why I was asking about a bandpass filter on the Kicker midabss, my door speakers are playing full range. There is no way my doors speakers are only playing below 400Hz.

If you put the 28's in there at best you'll be missing a range of sound that the 1" tweets can't play, between 400 and a couple thousand Hz, or at worst you will blow them. Using the 3.5's will probably give you better sound.

That's why I was asking about using the 11 set, the 28 set with the 1" dome tweeters is what the Mopar install sheets says to use on factory base cars and the 11 set with 3.5" 2-ways is what the Mopar install sheet says to use on factory Premium cars, that just seems backwards.

The full range 06 coaxial set are correct for the rear deck, which gets a full range signal.

No question the 06 set is the correct one to use in the rear deck.

They are good for the doors in the 4 speaker base radio, which gets a full range signal.

I don't think there is a four speaker system anymore.

The comparable Kicker speaker that are the Mopar upgrades are the Kicker KS line. They are good speakers, but for the Mopar-price, you can get much better speakers or save bucks getting the retail KS 3.5 and 6x9.[/QUOTE]

Two sets of KS 6x9"s and a set of KS 3.5" from Crutchfield would be $290 but the KS 3.5"s, and all of the replacement 3.5"s for that matter, appear to be too tall to fit under the factory dash. I can get the Mopar 06 set for the rear and the 11 or 28 set for the front for $240 total. The Mopar sets are priced cheaper than a full set of Kicker CS series, $250, and more than a full set of Kicker DS series, $180.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Those speakers sound like the ones that came in my Dart. Little paper guys with a whizzer for high frequencies.

In theory, the 3.5'scould handle anything the 1' tweets get so it wouldn't hurt to go that route.

There are a lot of other speakers that will fit according to the Sonicelectronix fit guide.

One reason to go with Infinity or JBL is that they are design to be OEM compatible and are 2 Ohm, so you get more out of the OEM system power-wise, but they are beefy enough to handle aftermarket amps as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't all the factory speakers have just paper whizzer cones, even the Boston Acoustic and Alpines? From what I have seen the factory Alpine system 2 ohm door speakers looked just like my base 4 ohm ones but with blue paper cones instead of bronwish black like mine. I'm sure that the 4 ohm 3.5" 2-ways from the 11 set shouldn't be a problem but in theory they would have double the output of the factory 8 ohm dash speakers. I wouldn't think that I should replace an 8 ohm speaker with a 2 ohm speaker, in theory quadrupling the output, I would worry that would unbalance the sound too much at the minimum or possibly result in damage if my factory internal amp isn't 2 ohm stable. Does anyone who if the 1" domes with the 28 set are 2, 4, or 8 ohm? There has to be a reason they say the 28 set is for base systems and the 11 set is for Premium systems if the 6x9" midbass door speakers are all 4 ohm.

I did find one page that referenced the 11 set being bandpass filtered:
77KICK11AB:
FRONT DASH SPEAKERS: Set of two 3.5" 2-way coaxial speakers (mid/tweeter), 300hz highpass, 75-watt
FRONT DOOR SPEAKERS: Set of two 6x9" midbass woofers, metal matrix, 250 hz low pass, 75-watt

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here are the factory Alpine premiums.

No Whizzers and no coil inductors or capacitors for low or high passing. So any of that would be done at the amp.

Running 2 Ohm would be fine. All Harman/JBL/Infinity speakers are made for OEM replacement and they are lower resistance to compensate for factory wiring. The Kicker are 3.7 Ohm according to Kicker. Dodge is actually good in that area. They use 18 gauge, where most use 22-24.

I ran Infinity for several months before upgrading and they sounded pretty good. Just not as good as with new amps and digital processing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts