Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i did my oil the other day, swapped out filter, drained every last bit out of engine, put the manufacturers oil type 05w 20, high performance oil filter, and 7 qrts of mobile 1 synthetic, just as ive read everywhere, not only is my car a lil more sluggish at excelleration but i checked my oil today and i have a cold reading of 1 qrt OVER the max?!WHAT THE $#!% I DRAINED oil correctly as ive always done, the drain bolt was at the lowest point of pan, was the 7 qrt a BONE DRY reading from the manufacturers? ? I dont get it but i will be draining at least a full qrt today and will only be putting 6 qrts into this car in future. First time ive had such a high reading by FOLLOWING the manual ?

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
Well you need 7 quarts for MDS to function if I remember. Also what oil is that? You need SAE 0W20 or 5W20.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
5w 20 mobile1 manufacturers suggestions to the letter, 7 qrts, its reading way too high, a full qrt at least over max safe.

·
Premium Member
5,531 Posts
I was always under the impression after an oil change there is still about a quart left in the car before you add new oil. Mine takes six quarts but I typically put five in for an oil change (if I'm doing it myself)

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
7 quarts of 5W20 for the 5.7s

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Are you sure you drained all of your old oil before putting the new one in?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Drain all oil, when adding, i add 6 qts, measure, and it is always at bittom of the safe bar, so one more quart goes in. 7 qts here, 07 Rt base

·
Registered
909 Posts
Am I the only one who did an oil change, put in 7 quarts, and when I pulled out my dipstick it was reading that it was a quart low? I ended up running 8 quarts in my 5.7

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
^^^^^^^
Never had this issue in the 6 years I had my '07... and she never used a drop of oil in the time either.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
RT, did u put it down to measure? Lol

·
Registered
909 Posts
I asked a friend of mine who has a 2012 Durango with the 5.7 and his takes 8 quarts to read full as well. Strange.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Another thing i've noticed is that my Dart with the 1.4L Turbo engine says it takes 4 quarts of oil, but if I only put in 4 quarts it's 1/2 of a quart low (in the middle between the high and low marks).

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Ahh... then the places that sell u the fluids mislabel/mismeasure it so u buy more? Lol idk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I change ours, the oil gets drained until it just drips. New oil filter gets filled with new oil, rest goes in the engine. 7QTS total. Check the level the next day, and it's at the full mark.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Out of curiousity what happens if you have a little too much oil?? I recently changed mine and it read a little high also and I only put 6.5 qts in.

·
Premium Member
17,450 Posts
There is something wrong with how folks are checking the fluid level if they are reading something different than the factory recommends. The factory filter and oil pan are the same across all engines of the same size and don't vary enough to make the manual incorrect. If you get a different reading it's because how it's being read and because it isn't being done properly.

If you use a larger filter, you will need more oil. If your filter isn't OEM and drains into the pan, it will read artificially high. If you don't check it warm and give it time to drain properly into the pan, it will read low....etc.

There are a hundred ways to get an incorrect reading.

The engine capacity volumes don't vary...how it's measures can...and often does.

If you are convinced that you are doing it right and still getting a different reading, take it to the dealer and call Chrysler to claim your prize since you will be the first in the history of the 500,000+ engines made to prove that their capacities are incorrect.

Your alternative is to figure out why you are getting an different reading than the manual states you should.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
There is something wrong with how folks are checking the fluid level if they are reading something different than the factory recommends. The factory filter and oil pan are the same across all engines of the same size and don't vary enough to make the manual incorrect. If you get a different reading it's because how it's being read and because it isn't being done properly.

If you use a larger filter, you will need more oil. If your filter isn't OEM and drains into the pan, it will read artificially high. If you don't check it warm and give it time to drain properly into the pan, it will read low....etc.

There are a hundred ways to get an incorrect reading.

The engine capacity volumes don't vary...how it's measures can...and often does.

If you are convinced that you are doing it right and still getting a different reading, take it to the dealer and call Chrysler to claim your prize since you will be the first in the history of the 500,000+ engines made to prove that their capacities are incorrect.

Your alternative is to figure out why you are getting an different reading than the manual states you should.
I like this answer and explanation!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well I guess I must not know how to read a dipstick. Apparently I'm obviously incapable of doing such a simple task such as checking the oil level in my engine. Look up "Hemi 8 quarts oil" in a google search and you'll find tons of results. I'm not the only one. No matter how I checked it, hot or cold, it always gave the same reading when it had only 7 quarts. Sat on the lower of the two holes. This was with an OEM Mopar filter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, ty for your input but i have changed my oil countless timws, i have a mobile1 high perform oil filter on there, that is the only dofference cause with my other vehicles i just go generic, I am only assuming thaf the u qrts reading id a bone dry factory engine, weither i check it hot or cold or 3 min after warm up etc etc eg 7 qrts reads high. Thnks.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Mine takes a little over 7 quarts, typically 7.5qts to get to the middle of the mark.

7 quarts brings mine just to the bottom, the "safe" mark.

Always has.

I warm the engine, let it drain until it stops dripping.

Wix or Mopar filter.

Had a oil change place do it in the winter, they used some weird tiny filter. I took that off the next day, put on a real filter and topped it off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts