Charger Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road & Track tested the new 605HP Ford Shelby Mustang Super Snake (enhanced GT500).

Overall it looks a lot more impressive than the GT500.

Engine:

The enhancements to the motor are for real. It dynoed at 567 Rear Wheel Horspower! That makes the advertised HP of 605 very conservative. [email protected] The Torque is [email protected] Interesting that is nominally redlined at 6000 but peak HP and the rev limiter are both 6250.

Trans:

6 speed manual with an incredible 3.73 rear end

Dimensions:

Length 187.6
WB 107.1
Weight 3915
Tires 255/35-20, 275/35-20

Times:

0-30: 1.9
0-60: 4.4
0-100: 9.1
0-120: 12.5
1/4 mile: [email protected]
Top Speed: 150* (electronically limited)

Skidpad: 0.93
Slalom: 68.4

80-0: 204 feet

Now those numbers are impressive, you might say "it doesn't look that much faster than the GT500". Read the story in Road & Track. The car is so traction limited that they could not give it full throttle until 3rd grear! They had to short-shift 2nd gear to prevent wheelspin also.

The car's forward weight bias means it will be very hard to beat a Viper or Z06 without drag radials no matter how much more power you put in it. If 605 (which is probably actually more like 625-640HP) is not enough, Ford offers a NON-WARRANTIED upgrade to 725HP!

Man, we need a blown 426 for the Challenger!

The handling is vastly improved over the GT500 which could only pull a 0.87 (less than the 0.90 they got from the 300C SRT8 they tested). The testers said the ride was firm but not too harsh. Of course they did remark about the live axle.

Overall, I am a lot more impressed with the Super Snake than the GT500. Then again, at MSRP of $70,000 it better be impressive. Since they are only making 1,000 then you probably won't even be able to get one at sticker.

Opinions?

·
Premium Member
28,730 Posts
yes, i saw the same article last night and it does look pretty damn impressive. i also read about the new limited edition "bullit" mustang coming out this year.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roush also has his 427model out. They briefly looked at that but no road test.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Anyone got pics?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
$28,000 over the cost of a regular GT500 and all you're getting is 50 horsies out of that package? Forget about it. I understand more goes into it than just 50 hp, like "two tenths taken off the 0-60, three tenths off the quarter and half a G more on the skidpad. You also get a lot of Shelby parts, Shelby build quality, Baer 6-piston stoppers, some carbon fiber body panels, and a juggernaut of a car that's still under the manufacturer warranty." I think its cool that the car is still kept under warranty, but 28 grand is alot of cash to fork over for this car, in addition to the original cost of the car as well. If Im paying 70 grand for a car, Id much rather opt for a Z06 or a Viper (for a little bit more money).

I still think its HILARIOUS that Ford cant build a car of their own though. Even back in the old days they could never really produce a good quality, high performance machine on their own.... always falling back on Carroll Shelby do get the job done (and no, Im not trying to knock this man, hes a car building legend/God who really knows how to build good cars). And to absolutely no one's surprise, the story remains the same today.

Motortrend: "An ultravenomous version of the GT500, the Super Snake is a pure Shelby special-a limited-edition, hyperpowered Mustang built with mostly Shelby parts in the company's Vegas assembly facility."

Why even remotely refer to it as a Mustang or even a Ford for that matter? This is straight up a Shelby Super Snake, so as far as Im concerned, the Ford guys can just keep quiet about this one as it is nothing to brag about on their part. I guess there is a new breed of competitors in the marketplace.... shelbyforums.com anyone??

-Pat

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Then again, at MSRP of $70,000 it better be impressive
And for that you can GET a Z06, or a Viper (maybe). Still, the car is impressive, and I wouldn't mind owning one. And very exclusive as well. I'm sure the dealers will RAPE prospective owners though.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good points Sublime

But keep in mind that the car is much faster than just the test results as it makes so much power with that light rear end it can't be put down easily.

$70,000 is a lot for a solid axle car but I like that car.

I hope the Chrysler counters with a blown 426 Challenger!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I hope the Chrysler counters with a blown 426 Challenger
We can only hope. But, with the current financial condition, and Nardelli in charge, I would be surprised if SRT Group continues past 2010. Maybe the Viper, but that's it.

I HOPE I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
With that 119.x trap speed that thing would be in the low 11's high 10's with slicks and a great driver.

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With that 119.x trap speed that thing would be in the low 11's high 10's with slicks and a great driver.
Yup, it is trapping much higher than the GT500 and C6

I think with better tires and time to work on launches it could crack a 11.9

Z06s are hitting 125s though in the 1/4

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Overall, the 12.5 1/4 mile time speaks volumes to the limitations of this platform. When you look at the engine, the long stroke design and iron block makes it very heavy up front. The car has 56% of its weight over the front wheels. That means there simply is not enough weight on the rear to launch hard.

Look at it this way, with double the HP over the GT you only cut 1 second off the quarter.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
1 second in the 1/4 is a whole lot, though....
BTW, today at Milan I jawed with an older dude who was running a severely modded, but street legal, 2002 C5 Vette (not Z06). This guy really knew what he was talking about, as evidenced by his timeslip of 11.02 at 136mph trap speed. The whole convo started with my observation 'are those 4-point harnesses', and his response, 'no, they're 6-point'. He then goes on to describe how he use to race his 440 six pack Charger, etc. Good times!

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you add 300HP to the SRT8 I bet it drops more than 1 second in 1/4 mile because the LX platform can handle the power more naturally.

In fact, right here we have seen several LXs with less than a 300HP boost running 11s.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
one of the reasons why i chose the Saleen Extreme over the Shelby is the weight - 3900 lbs - why? 600 lbs more than the Saleen - makes no sense.
Saleen took 200 lbs off the standard GT Mustang weight and considering it has the added weight of a blower thats considerable. Shelby decides to go the other route and add weight? That and they should have thrown in 3:73 gears in the Shelby. What did they do? I think they took the standard GT ratio of 355 and made it like 331 or something. Im told to decrease the gas guzzler tax. :knockout: At least this mod they increased it. Saleen puts in 410s standard. I dont get the Shelby thought process. I like the Shelby but it doesnt perform like it should

·
Registered
10,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
one of the reasons why i chose the Saleen Extreme over the Shelby is the weight - 3900 lbs - why? 600 lbs more than the Saleen - makes no sense.
Saleen took 200 lbs off the standard GT Mustang weight and considering it has the added weight of a blower thats considerable. Shelby decides to go the other route and add weight? That and they should have thrown in 3:73 gears in the Shelby. What did they do? I think they took the standard GT ratio of 355 and made it like 331 or something. Im told to decrease the gas guzzler tax. :knockout: At least this mod they increased it. Saleen puts in 410s standard. I dont get the Shelby thought process. I like the Shelby but it doesnt perform like it should
Excellent points.

It is funny how things change over time. 20 years ago Saleen had the best handling packages and body mods but not much on power. Now they make real power.

Saleen uses the 4.6 block which is much lighter than the 5.4.

If you want a stock Mustang that is a great all around package I would go with the Saleen. If you just want a drag strip missle to mod the 5.4 is a better deal.

Just don't take turns in it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts