Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
There was one company that was working on a manual tranny for the lx cars that was supposed to have been released a few months ago but never did. I think there was a few test cars that they put them in, but I don't think there is many chargers with a manual tranny.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It was Keisler Engineering that made that trans. If memory serves correctly they found the trans was great but other OEM components couldn't handle the added loads put on them. I think they're still working on it but it's on a back burner.

·
Registered
274 Posts
It was Keisler Engineering that made that trans. If memory serves correctly they found the trans was great but other OEM components couldn't handle the added loads put on them. I think they're still working on it but it's on a back burner.
Yeah, Hal put a stop to that.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I remember talking to him about it and he said Chrysler was pretty much no help on it. I can't say as I'm surprised, but you could put money on it if Keisler puts it out for the mass market it's worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I'm just hoping and praying that they will offer manual tranny on the Challenger. Chrysler's auto tranny s*cks big [email protected]!!
What I would give to have a Nissan tranny on my Charger...

Everytime I drive my wife's 07 Altima, it amazes me how good that transmittion is. Very smooth and quick!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Not yet, but even if someone did you're still stuck with 3.06 gears at best. That would kill you. Not worth it until someone makes gears.
thats why it hasnt been released yet. the 3.08 gears are eaiting up clutches apparently.

i was going to ask somewhere what the difference between the GC SRT's rear gears are compared to ours?? cause they are running 3.73's stock. i figure its a big difference, or someone would be swapping these out by now.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Yeah, the GC axle is a completly different setup than we have. A dana live axle, while we use a Mercedes IRS.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah, the GC axle is a completly different setup than we have. A dana live axle, while we use a Mercedes IRS.
i wonder if quaife would make a set of gears for us if we got a bunch of people signed up for a group buy?? they already make an LSD for us. i dont see why it would be so hard to stuff a different sized ring or pinion in there??

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
from what I have seen and read on here HAL will not let a different gear change to happen. He is very finiky.

I saw the Keisler Charger for sale a while back but I forget where.

Scott

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Yup Hal does not like gear swaps :(

Somebody has to figure out how to legally hack Hal lol lol :)
or leak some code or something to help out :)
or if someone could make an affordable standlone or a piggy back with the needed tuning compacity.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
what he said...someone needs to find the engineers who made up the charger and beat some tricks outta them so we can get rid of hal, torque management, mds, esp all in one shot and let these cars riiiiiiiiiiiiiiip like they did in the good ol 4bbl days before computers...:grin:

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
thats why it hasnt been released yet. the 3.08 gears are eaiting up clutches apparently.

i was going to ask somewhere what the difference between the GC SRT's rear gears are compared to ours?? cause they are running 3.73's stock. i figure its a big difference, or someone would be swapping these out by now.
Yeah that was it the tranny was going threw the clutches definitely don't want to do half a dozen clutch jobs a year. Whatever charger they did the manual tranny must have also been a stock one, couldn't even imagine what would happen with a 400+ hp motor would do to the clutch.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup Hal does not like gear swaps :(

Somebody has to figure out how to legally hack Hal lol lol :)
or leak some code or something to help out :)
or if someone could make an affordable standlone or a piggy back with the needed tuning compacity.
Didn't Diablosport say they had this figured out?

Sign me up for the group buy.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Actually does HAL have to even know there's a transmission or rear axle at all if it's a stickshift? Realistically speaking, all the computer has to worry about is running an engine as if there were no transmission.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Actually does HAL have to even know there's a transmission or rear axle at all if it's a stickshift? Realistically speaking, all the computer has to worry about is running an engine as if there were no transmission.
your statement makes sense to me unless hal has some sensors connected in the tranny and if it does could a dummy sensor be made? kinda like an 02 sensor simulator

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
your statement makes sense to me unless hal has some sensors connected in the tranny and if it does could a dummy sensor be made? kinda like an 02 sensor simulator

Bingo, he does have senors there. He compares all four wheel speeds, trans output shaft speed, and engine RPMs. A mismatch in any of them tells HAL youve got a problem, and its the Limp Mode Express for you, me boy:)

Diablo did say they could go gear changes, buuuuuut, once folks started talking about how the LX works, there seemed ignorant of all this, so I'm not confident of that. Lots of folks before have assumed that the 5.7 cars and trucks are the same, and if they can fool the trucks, they can fool the cars. Not so.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts