Charger Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have suggestions on what the best programmer is for a first gen srt8? Or if it would even do anything. I have a cat back exhaust I installed and an Air Raid intake on the way.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
More exhaust noise check, more intake noise, check lol. Diablo tuner is what you want, be it an old one or one of the newer style ones as long as it's compatible with the car. Also doubles as a code reader. You can use the preloaded tunes or get a custom one; theis feature is handy if later down the road you decide to cam it or some other serious modifications.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have the sound covered! You know if the tuner will do much for performance on the 6.1L? I had one on my 5.7L but Changing the shift from 5,500 to 6,000 made the biggest difference I felt.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It will be noticeable but what I would recommend is finding a Mopar TCM (p/n P5155177 for the SRT w/3.06). It's plug and play and all you'd need to do is the adaptation procedure (unless it's a used one, then you have to get the adaption reset, then do your adaptation) to get it set with your specific trans. Changes when lockup happens, shifts are much better and holds autostick in gear no matter what (factory the autostick will gear down as you slow down, all the way to 1st. Will also upshift at redline, MTCM won't). You could also use p/n P5153332 if you couldn't find the other one, but since it's made for the 5.7 cars (same shift schedule/pattern, these were just designed to be able to be added without custom tuning) it has the 2.82 ratio in it; easily changed with a tuner. I had one in my 06 Charger and it was weird going between the Charger and the Magnum because they both should've drove fairly identically but that TCM made a huge difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts