Charger Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the deal, i'm planning on purchasing a new or used 2010 Challenger SRT8 w/ 6speed standard, I already have a Charger R/T to drive so it wont be a "daily driver" as much as it will be an "every other day driver"

I would like to bring the 6.1l up to 600hp or more, I don't really want to have the engine bored out, so how can i do this, I will be getting a vortech/kb supercharger, kooks headers, and corsa exhaust. will i have to have the internals forged, new rear end

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a Vortech on order and will be getting it installed before the end of the month. BMC Performance is doing the install for me. I also got the kit from them. Recommend you speak to them as they have done a few and have one of the early Vortech kits that they have a lot of miles on so they are a great reference.

The canned Vortech kit and tune will net you about 550 to 560 at the crank at about 8 lbs of boost. This is on a stock 6.1 Hemi. From there anything you do to improve the efficiency of the engine will likely get you very close to the 600HP you are talking about. I would say look into headers, high flow cats and a good exhaust. One of the things I liked about the Corsa was the fact it was a straight through design. Once you make the improvements a tweak of the tune or a custom tune with the improved exhaust will net you more power. That will probably get you real close to the 600HP if not over it.

I made a few Dyno pulls on my car with nothing but a CAI and the Corsa exhaust. I will have that as a baseline. Once I have the Vortech kit in place, I will get a few more dyno pulls in and will let you know exactly what we got with just the Vortech on the base Vortech tune. I don't have the headers and high flow cats but you will get an idea of what the Vortech and it's standard tune will give you.

On the rear end, you should be good from what I am told. On the new Challenger and Charger SRT's (2009 and 2010) we have Getrag rear ends. We have limited slips (as opposed to open) and heavier half axles than the older SRT's. I think we are good for "mid range" power upgrades. I think that BMC's Charger with the early Vortech is on the older open diff. I am sure they will confirm. They are not at 600HP though.

In terms of other plans for the SRT I don't have a great deal more planned in the very near future. LOL... as if the Vortech is not a big deal.... LOL. What I will most likely do in the not too distant future is a set of headers and high flow cats to put in front of the Corsa Cat back already there. Once I do that, a custom tune will come in. That will be kept "conservative" to leave it driveable. Mine is definately a daily driver. But with the headers and high flow I will definately tune it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, very detailed info, thank you very much lol. i'm just afraid of coming up to a supercharged 2010 5.0, I dont want to get beat by a mustang.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Wow, very detailed info, thank you very much lol. i'm just afraid of coming up to a supercharged 2010 5.0, I dont want to get beat by a mustang.
Those will be far and few between my friend. Not often you run across any car with a supercharger thats not on there from the factory. My feelings on the new mustangs is people will do what they do to them now. Exhaust, headers, gears, and a tune. I dont expect to see much more. Although, with those mods they will give you a run for your money. ;-P. If you have the supercharger, headers, exhaust, and a rear end youll be more than fine.

I know you said you dont wanna bore the engine, but have you thought about heads and cam? Theres plenty of heads and cam combo SRTs with some bolt on and tuning running 12s and 11s. Plus I feel N/A power is more fun and a bit safer than boost. Although its all about taste I suppose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts