Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had our 2006 SRT8 Charger in to the dealer for a coolant system flush and new coolant expansion tank, rad cap and new coolant installation. The problem is the coolant breaks down and smell like ammonia.
Just checking how many others have had this problem?

I was also wondering how many KM/Miles per oil filter change ?
I am going 5000KMs per oil filter change with Mobile1 0W40.

I am also wondering if our car can be upgraded to Satilite radio. Using the existing radio/nav unit? Our car has all 3 option groups. Navigation etc. The car is Canadian. Our 2007 3500 mega cab has the identical radio/nav unit but it has Sat radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the coolant on my 2007 SRT8 done. Apparently it was an Early Nov. 2006 build so it was still affected. Nice brand new coolant bottle and cap now.

I plan on going 5000 mile intervals on Mobil 1. Going to get an oil analysis at next oil change to see if I need to shorten the intervals.

Not sure about the Sat radio deal.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I just had our 2006 SRT8 Charger in to the dealer for a coolant system flush and new coolant expansion tank, rad cap and new coolant installation. The problem is the coolant breaks down and smell like ammonia.
Just checking how many others have had this problem?

I was also wondering how many KM/Miles per oil filter change ?
I am going 5000KMs per oil filter change with Mobile1 0W40.

I am also wondering if our car can be upgraded to Satilite radio. Using the existing radio/nav unit? Our car has all 3 option groups. Navigation etc. The car is Canadian. Our 2007 3500 mega cab has the identical radio/nav unit but it has Sat radio.
Lots of guys have had the coolant problem(not myself yet) just do a search on here and you will see it the hottest SRT problem topic.

I think 5000 is pretty much the norm, I won't go any longer but in 10 months of ownership I don't have 5000 km yet(4200 km). I dumped mine at 1200 km just on the fact of time, not miles, will do again this fall, should hit 5000 km hopefully before the snow flies and she gets parked till spring '08. Now that said you can probably go longer(its only 3000 miles) but I don't drive enough to justify it myself. I used to run up to 9000 km on my old Monte Carlo, but it was a true daily driver getting roughly 160 km a day on it. I also have all my Chargers oil changes(not the 86 or my company trucks) analyzed, I did this on the Monte Carlo and was the reason I extended the intervals. Yes I drive the car very little, its my toy, nothing more.

The kit is available at any Dodge dealer, its includes the antenna, reciever, wiring harness and all the other goodies to install it. You will need to have a dealer flash the car with a Starscan to make the EVIC read properly as far as the radio stations but it will work just after installing and activating it. I have my upgrade at home but its still in the boxes because I haven't had time to install it, would need to be home to do that.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
what the hell is a 3.1?

·
Registered
2,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,466 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, theres a TSB on the 6.1 coolant problem. theres a thread on this somewhere in here, try searching for it, no cost to owners at dealer, I think??

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
haha he says he thinks there is a tsb and search here. haha
there are probably one hundred threads about this so yes above is quite correct

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I had my coolant flushed a couple of months ago, along with the new bottle and stuff.

The amonia smell IS back in my SRT, but the dealer said it's normal. I will wait and compain again because the tsb says if there is no sign of coolant gunk but ammonia smell is present, a coolant flush is required. Next time I'll take a copy of that with me. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts