Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I've stated before that I'm pretty new here to the Charger website because I'm in the process of selling my 01 mustang to get an SRT8 charger. BUT, I have been doing quite a bit of research and trying to put some things together. I'm hoping maybe you seasoned dodge guys can help me. GS motorsports has the 6.1 supercharger kit and states that it gets 500 to the wheels and 507 pounds of torque with the 6psi kit. I know on mustangs...if you pretty much JUST get like a 6 pound kit and tune it right (plus throw on the aftercooler) they run pretty safe for years with no bottom end mods. Now I know the SRT8 has all the urgraded rods, pistons and a forged crank shaft AND the intercooler. BUT, it's already rated at 425 (probably 375 or so RWHP) and so it's got quite a bit of pressure on it where a stock mustang even with a 6psi iboost is only getting about 330 to the tires. Quite a difference in the the engine power before you put the supercharger on it for this SRT8. So, if I put this 6.1 kit on my SRT8, will it hold up without blowing a piston? Is this SRT8 upgrade able to handle that? One of the biggest concerns for me is that the pistons are rated at like 10 to 1 compression...that's pretty high compression and ANY boost on an application like that is usually kind of dangerous. If I don't use any more than the 6psi kit will the car hold up without any problems? Normally an SRT version (for mustangs it's the SVT Cobras) are set up to hold up to more boost and abuse than the RT (GT models for mustangs). I don't see anything on GS motorsport that really talks about whether they've had problems with the kit not holding up with the 6psi. 6psi is plenty for me...I don't need any more than 500 around here. That's what my mustang is pushing right now and so far not much around here can take it in a red light to red light or top end race. Oh, and another thing...anyone know anywhere in the GA area where I can get the supercharger installed? Not too many people around here familiar with Dodge's that much...mostly just chevy's and Fords. Oh, sorry...one more thing..does this 6.1 kit come already tuned? So all you do is drop it in the car and drive it off or does it NEED to be tuned after install? Sorry about all the questions but after the problems I had with my mustang I want to get this right. :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm under the impression that they won't have details like that for a while, as numbers of the 6.1 SRT's (Magnums at this point) are few. Most of the information I've seem out there so far, is speculating that the 6.1 and supporting parts will be operating in the upper range of their specs. Again, that's only speculation.

I'll bet there is somebody out there with one of the few 6.1 Magnums, planning his upgrade anyway. :whistle:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Call up gs motorsports. They seem to know what they are talking about. I guess 425 hp isn't enough. I have to settle for 350 in mine :(

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
There are two as of this writing, one is the shop SRT-8 Magnum they just started, and the 300C SRT-8 they protoyped. That guy is over on 300cforums.com, jketron is the name. Posts are found in the SRT-8 section. He seems happy so far, but keep in mind two things.

It's really early days. Jketron has already said that if he does blow that motor, that's cool, just a chance to REALLY build one up. Unless you are in the same fiscal boat, I would wait at least a year. Then if things DO go sour down the road, others will lead you, giving you a warning.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info, guys...I'm waiting on the Charger SRT8 anyway so I imagine it probably won't actually be on sale for a couple more months, anyway...by the time I sell my stang and get my SRT8, we may have some more information about it. 6spi doesn't sound like a LOT of boost...the car has enough N/A power as it is...have you guys seen the promo for it on Dodge.com? Oh my goodness this car sounds SO mean...awesome...I can't wait to get mine and just drive the N/A version. I love my mustang but I've own mustangs for 15 years and it's time for something new. :) I think the Charger is the next big thing. :) Keep me posted if you find out anything more.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
i wonder if they will do the 8 to 10 psi like on the 5.7...gsmotorsports has it on the website that the 8 to 10 boost will push "another" 100 hp to the wheel....so total it up 225hp....damn...sounds like a rebuild waiting to happen. i am like glhs, gonna watch and see what people do and then make my decisions off of that.....but could you imagine......srt8 with the 8 to 10 psi boost.....wow!!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hey, we're in the Columbus area with 5.7L Supercharger Charger. Come down sometime, Shaun will take you for a ride. Its is way impressive, but like jketron, we are going further. Doing heads and cam right now. Jketron probably won't be the best test vehicle to watch for damage, because he plans on pushing the envelope even further like us. So he will be putting the motor through much more abuse than the standard 6.1L with supercharger.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to go for a ride in a supercharged 5.7. I've test driven those stock and they have decent pickup but of course when you're used to driving a 510 horsepower mustang it doesn't compare much. Have you guy's dyno's yours to THIS point? What kind of horsepower is it getting? I don't even know how good of a judge the 5.7 is going to be next to the SRT8...just from reading the specs and watching that dodge.com video of it, it's going to be a much more aggressive car than the 5.7...with it's cam upgrades and high strength rods, floating pistons, head upgrades and a better exhaust for breathing, it's really going to be a different animal all together. Those oil squirters should work pretty well too...something like a methanol system on a mustang, maybe to help keep it cool, I should think. I guess one thing's for sure...if it will hold up in your 5.7's without the bottom end upgrades that have been done to the SRT8, then the SRT8 should perform that much better. Let me just clarify...you've done the supercharger, and now doing the heads and cams and you HAVEN'T done anything to the bottom end to reinforce it? So, you're kind of testing the bottom end to see what it will take? You said that you're in the columbus area...about how far? In all seriousness I would like to see how this car performs with these upgrades...see how it feels and even how the supercharger sounds on it...I know it's VERY loud on my mustang. Another thing...did you do the work on your car yourself or is there someone around here that did it for you? I may want to use them when I put my supercharger on mine. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
Can't tell you how far from you we are because not sure where you are, just in GA?? We've done Supercharger, headers and Magnaflow exhaust, it dynoed like 415rwhp and 425tq as it sits now. We sent our car out to GS to put it on because this was when Chargers weren't really on the streets yet and he used our car to mock up and make sure everything was exactly the same as the Magnums and 300s as far as bracketry goes, etc. But talk to Shaun, we can probably help you with the install (he flew out to Cali to work on the car for 2 days with GS so he would for sure know his way around it and where everything needed to be and how everything needed to be set) plus he is having to reinstall the supercharger when we pul it apart for the heads and cam anyways. We have installed on the car AFR monitoring setup so the majority of our tuning was done on the street prior to taking it to the dyno so it wouldn't have to be on the dyno for long, street is easier on the car than repeated dyno runs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually meant how far from the Columbus area are you? Mainly because I LIVE in Columbus. LOL. I was thinking I had put in an earlier thread that I was from the Columbus area but I only put GA in that thread...so actually...I guess we're both from the Columbus area. Well, that should make it even easier to see your Charger! :) I actually think I might know who you guys are...I was over at Carl Gregory Dodge talking to Tony and he mentioned that he had a friend who sent his Charger off to GS Motorsport and had some stuff done to it. You had some suspension and stuff too? Kind of a complete overhaul? I'm looking at probably buying my STR8 from Tony when it they are actually available.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really? Maybe you're not the person I was thinking of then because this Tony guy acted like whoever this person was that took his RT to GS Motorsports was a good friend of his...I thought he even mentioned the name Shaun, maybe? I know Tony said he has an SRT4 Neon that he did some modifying. I'd sure like to see how your charger performs though...do you have anywhere you hang out or anything on the weekends so I can take a look at it and see how it drives? I know my way around columbus pretty well because I've lived here ALL my life. Just let me know. :)...my name is Lance by the way...you may have seen me around town...I've got a San Marino Red 01 Mustang GT...it's got a custom ground effects kit with customized emblems and graphics that say "Stalker" and "SGT" on the sides. It's a nice car...I almost hate to sell it...but old with the old and in with the new. :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
that me i am shaun i work at my wife works at ptap i work at vip autosalon come by the shop some time i will be leaving in the morning for tx to pick up a truck

·
Registered
7 Posts
if i were in your boat, i would shy away from supercharging the 6.1L. although the engine is probably capable of handling 6psi or more, using the stock rods, crank, etc., the engine is build with high compression pistons (10.6:1). compared to the run-of-the-mill 5.7L, there's a big difference.

the 5.7L comes with much lower compression, so it can handle more boost without detonation. you could probably get away with running the 6.1L under boost, but i would seriously recommend running a methanol kit (snows performance) on there, as that would lower the intake charge far more than an intercooler/aftercooler would.

also, from dyno reports i have seen, the 6.1L gets more than 375hp to the wheels, so a 500RWHP 6.1L isn't too far off.

oh, and have u thought about running nitrous? sounds like the 6.1L is perfectly set up for it (high compression, large valves, forged everything).

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it's the high compression pistons that I'm actually worried about. I pretty much know from dealings with my mustang that I will ALWAYS run a methanol kit on ANYTHING I run supercharged because the charge temp on a supercharger is VITAL in not running the engine temp up to melt a piston. So, that's just important anytime you run a supercharger. Although, with this being a stock 6spi boost I'm not REALLY that worried about the charge temp running too high...those kits are usually designed to keep the temps down as long as you keep it stock. BUT, those high compression pistons are a different story since the HEAT of the engine doesn't really have anything to so with the PSI compression on those. Since they're already 10 to 1 it's the boost itself than can blow one up. For that matter even a FORGED piston that's 10 to 1 compression would have a difficult time with boost...so I am kind of actually shying away from the supercharger...but it would be nice...buy the car, drop only the supercharger in it and be getting 500 horses. It took me forever to get that out of my mustang. I would say I could change out the heads and cams and put headers and exhaust on it but the fact is that this SRT version already has those parts pretty tricked out as it is. So, I don't know what good that will do. Other than putting nitrous, as you mentioned, on it I don't know that there's a lot you can do with one of these SRT's. Maybe just run a supercharger til it blows and then put a lower compression engine on it. Of course there goes all the mods to have to get it back up to the 500 horses again like with my mustang. Neverending battle. LOL.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts