Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I scored a 6.1 valvetrain from a member here, thanks dgreek! This will go into my 5.7.

I am trying to decide if I am going to advance the cam on installation to bring the powerband down some. Or leave it "straight up" and let the motor pull more on the top end.

If it doesn't loose any normal driveability and just adds gobs of power up top, I'll probably leave it alone, if I sacrifice low end street driving to get the top end gain, I'd like to balance that out some.

I do drive very agressively and my motor sees 5k+rpm pretty regular, I tend to shift into 2nd at 5k alot.

I'd really like to hear from those of you who have run this cam or are running it now and what your impressions and experiences are.

PS I was considering a sidewinder but the entire 6.1 valvetrain came into my hands for about 1/4 the cost of a sidewinder cam alone so it's what I'm going with.

Thanks muchachos!

·
Registered
103 Posts
hmmm......

I would check with someone who has played with the 6.1 cam in the 5.7.

Use the Info they have to save you some aggravation...

I just know from a little experience, throwing a cam in a motor "straight up"....you may not get the results you were hoping for. Especially a cam designed for another motor, even though they are similar.

My .02.....

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would check with someone who has played with the 6.1 cam in the 5.7.

Use the Info they have to save you some aggravation...
Yeah, Ive talked to 2 folks already and hope this post brings out some more who have done this.

What I gather so far is it will show very little difference from the stock cam (good or bad) until it hits 3500 rpm, then it just screams the rest of the way to the redline. (set now at 6250 with the flashpaq)

What I am really wondering is this...if moving the powerband down by advancing the cam hurts the top end pull,.. and if I just end up loosing time from excessive wheelspin by advancing the cam and putting the powerband lower, then it makes more sense to just let 'er rip on the top end where I can stay hooked up.

I'll be adding the JBA shorties and mid-pipes at the same time, so it should breathe well enough for the bigger cam.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lucky find that there right there is.
Yeah ...I scored it from dgreekman over in moore0652's 6.1L cam install thread.....I was all set to do a sidewinder but couldn't pass up the deal.
Got the cam, lifters. springs, and timing chain and gears. If the gears are interchangeable I may have a machinist just machine a new keyway in the cam gear to advance it if I decide to go advanced. I'll be posting a thread about that once I have the parts in hand.

The specs between the two aren't that far apart, I may even try the MDS lifters with it and see if it works. The 6.1 is a hair smaller than the sidewinder so I would think it would work, unless the LSA throws it off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
wow thats good

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone who has run a 6.1 cam chime in here?

thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you run the 5.7 timing chain/gears you will be +2 ahead of 6.1 installed ICL due to the differences in the way gear set is ground. Additionally, you can order timing chain advance kit from FRI/402 to fine tune additional advance if required.

Not sure if there are any physical limitations to advancing it further.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
Yeah ...I scored it from dgreekman over in moore0652's 6.1L cam install thread.....I was all set to do a sidewinder but couldn't pass up the deal.
Got the cam, lifters. springs, and timing chain and gears. If the gears are interchangeable I may have a machinist just machine a new keyway in the cam gear to advance it if I decide to go advanced. I'll be posting a thread about that once I have the parts in hand.

The specs between the two aren't that far apart, I may even try the MDS lifters with it and see if it works. The 6.1 is a hair smaller than the sidewinder so I would think it would work, unless the LSA throws it off.
remember the install so you can come up and help me do mine next year. free alcohol in it for ya

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you run the 5.7 timing chain/gears you will be +2 ahead of 6.1 installed ICL due to the differences in the way gear set is ground. Additionally, you can order timing chain advance kit from FRI/402 to fine tune additional advance if required.

Not sure if there are any physical limitations to advancing it further.

Hope that helps.
That helps alot! If I have 2 degrees advance just using the 5.7 timing set, that may be enough. I'll call Jason (402) and get his input too.

I know madc has run a 6.1 cam and while it isn't a Sidewinder, it's a big step up from the stock 5.7. Maybe he'll chime in with some more specifics??

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts