107 Posts
5w-20 would be to thin.

5w-40 is better than that.
I am actually running 5w-40 Amsoil.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Probably better than the stock 0W40 is Mobil 1 turbo diesel 5w40(no it is not just for diesels despite what the bottle says...) or Royal Purple 5W40 - or you could choose the Mobil 1 15W50 that's in Vipers. I wouldn't use 5w20.

Eric
friend of mine with a 300 srt was talking about running 5w20, now personally i don't know a lot about the oil ratings and just figure it would be best to stick to the recommended oil

·
Registered
189 Posts
friend of mine with a 300 srt was talking about running 5w20, now personally i don't know a lot about the oil ratings and just figure it would be best to stick to the recommended oil
Absolutely...those engineers actually know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Probably better than the stock 0W40 is Mobil 1 turbo diesel 5w40(no it is not just for diesels despite what the bottle says...) or Royal Purple 5W40 - or you could choose the Mobil 1 15W50 that's in Vipers. I wouldn't use 5w20.

Eric
New Vipers use 0W-40 just like us :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
Do any of you guys use Royal Purple? I need to get my oil change done soon and I have to pick out an oil brand.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well what do I know.:lol:

I'd say that unless you see the really cold winter temperatures, than a 5w40 is just fine. That gives you the Royal Purple option, or if you want to stick with Mobil 1, than use 5w40 Turbo Diesel Truck. The Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil is also specified by Mobil 1 to be used in high performance gasoline engines...despite what the bottle actually says. Or you could believe that because it says diesel on the bottle that it should only go in diesels. Just don't tell all the Porsche owners that have switched...I believe they were the first ones to stop using the 0W40 because it was switched from a SM API rating to an SL in the last year or two.

I think there's also a Castrol GTX synthetic 5W40 with an SM rating out there, but SM ratings are getting really tough to come by because of environmental concerns with the extra wear-reducing agents.

Eric

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
ciscokid just let the dealer change the oil and look around for the best oil that suit your taste without rushing or putting off your oil change.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ciscokid just let the dealer change the oil and look around for the best oil that suit your taste without rushing or putting off your oil change.
Yeah I just scheduled my oil change at a Dodge dealer for the 1st of Oct. I'm at about 600 miles or so for my next change so I'll probably end up going there "early".

I figure on buying 5w20 Royal Purple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.