Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Count me as a NO! Waste of oil, and a filter. Maybe do it at 3K, then when the OLM indicates, but no less that once a year, or whatever the owners manual calls for.

Don

Reactions: mrminux

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Count me as a NO! Waste of oil, and a filter. Maybe do it at 3K, then when the OLM indicates, but no less that once a year, or whatever the owners manual calls for.

Don
I appreciate the input. Some folks say: worth it, because of shavings as everything sets? Do you think that is true of new engines or is it a hold out thing from years gone by?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Here's an idea: If you're really concerned about metal shavings (I get it...back in the day, I changed my new Fox Mustang at 1,000 miles) I think I'd just change the filter and top off the oil.

Reactions: mrminux and N8ECH

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I always change mine at 1-2k on a new car. Probably totally unnecessary, but I do it anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1k, 5k, every 5k

·
Registered
2011 Charger Pursuit
1,948 Posts
Some people use a sock, others towel. I always advised in the shower but with cold water.

Really boils down to what works best for you and makes you feel better.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some people use a sock, others towel. I always advised in the shower but with cold water.

Really boils down to what works best for you and makes you feel better.
I think you are right - I may ask my Priest to baptize my Gladiator after the 500 mile change..

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,822 Posts
It's Not Necessary to do that. Your breaking the car in for the first 500 miles, the owners manual doesn't say to also change the oil at 500 miles. I would change the first oil change at 3000 Miles if it makes you feel better than every 5000 miles afterwards or you can follow your owners manual to a T.
Todays synthetic oils don't break down in protection like regular oil does. Regular will go 5000 miles even if driven hard.
I use to waste oil money and filter working about these things , Now it's every 5000 miles and everything is good. Oils is still pretty clean at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's Not Necessary to do that. Your breaking the car in for the first 500 miles, the owners manual doesn't say to also change the oil at 500 miles. I would change the first oil change at 3000 Miles if it makes you feel better than every 5000 miles afterwards or you can follow your owners manual to a T.
Todays synthetic oils don't break down in protection like regular oil does. Regular will go 5000 miles even if driven hard.
I use to waste oil money and filter working about these things , Now it's every 5000 miles and everything is good. Oils is still pretty clean at 5000 miles.
Do you think a risk of metal shavings entering the oil from new engines?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts

Thank you!
Again, I think the risk is low and I do this out of old habit. Any particles big enough to cause mischief (unless you are pretty unlucky) are going to wind up in the oil filter fairly quickly. I would think any "shavings" are going to be flushed out before the engine is assembled. I'm after burrs that fleck off during break-in. However, those likely get trapped by the filter fairly quickly.

I didn't do this for the Tesla though. <ducking>

:)

Best,

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
I had metal shavings in my engine for a year after the lifter roller ate my cam lobe. That was 62k miles ago.

·
Registered
4,503 Posts
No surprise there unless you dropped the pan and flushed it out with kerosene like the old days.
I just changed it at 500 mile intervals for 2 changes, then went to the normal 6k. Never found any shavings of significance. Was just a matter of getting everything flushed over several changes.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
1,822 Posts

Thank you!
No I do not. There is no metal shavings floating around your engine during break up. If this was the case, the owners manual would state to change your oil after 500 miles, your over thinking it.
Just so you know, I have owned new cars since 1990. I get a new one every few years or the wife does. We both drive new cars all the time and never once have I felt is was necessary to change my oil at 500 miles or there was metal shavings floating around my engine.
This is a topic you need to get past. Is this your first new car? I know you want to pamper it and all that but don't worry about this man, everything will be fine.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I think it depends how your using it. If it’s a daily you’ll reach 3k, 6k pretty fast. If it’s a garaged weekend play mobile around town like mine there’s not many miles driven. I plan on doing my 1st at 800-1000.

I’ve never used 0W oil though. Seems pretty thin. Mobil1 synthetic 5W has been my go to in the past and never had to worry if I didn’t get to an oil change past 6k miles with a lot of commuting and travel.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I do not. There is no metal shavings floating around your engine during break up. If this was the case, the owners manual would state to change your oil after 500 miles, your over thinking it.
Just so you know, I have owned new cars since 1990. I get a new one every few years or the wife does. We both drive new cars all the time and never once have I felt is was necessary to change my oil at 500 miles or there was metal shavings floating around my engine.
This is a topic you need to get past. Is this your first new car? I know you want to pamper it and all that but don't worry about this man, everything will be fine.
Nah, maybe 15th?

You all have known me since 31DEC and bought three new cars since then.

Not 500 miles, but I did an oil change at 1K miles years ago new...

You get polar opinons: my drag co-worker says do it, my shade tree mechanic says don't.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts