Charger Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Charger RT, Blue Streak Pearl
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a membership in the 5.7L lifter issue club, I thought I would post this video that I came across for those who have experienced this issue, for those who want to avoid it, and for general knowledge. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
47 Posts
Its a common failure. I see it all the time. Will typically take out the cam lobe with it. So youre looking at a cam and all lifters when it happens

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,775 Posts
Diagnose it 1st if you haven't. What indicators are you having? Misfires, loud tapping?

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,775 Posts
@work and cannot view all of the video but if he is blaming MDS forget it. The lifter roller failure is not because of MDS.
Its like a bad lottery, I just did a prevention lifters swap keeping MDS. Changed lifters, springs, stem seals, and pushrods @135k miles. They all looked great but I plan on keeping the car.
I do have a blower and MDS disabled and shift @6k rpms at play, before and after the refresh.
I used MOPAR lifters dated 2020 on the packaging.

What are your symptoms?

·
Registered
559 Posts
I was at the dealership where I purchased my car this week for an oil change. This dealership gives a free “Lifetime Power Train Warranty” on the FCA vehicles they sell. I was hanging out in the waiting area and noticed a bulletin board with some enlarged service invoices on them. These invoices were of vehicles the dealership had repaired under their Lifetime Power Train Warranty. At the bottom of the invoice was the amount the repair would have cost the customer without the warranty. The first one I looked at was for a 2012 Hemi Challenger with over 100K miles. The customer brought it in due to engine noise and a check engine light. After studying the invoice for a few minutes it became obvious it was lifter failure. I don’t remember the exact amount at the bottom of the invoice but it was over 4K.

Reactions: N8ECH

·
Registered
2012 Charger RT, Blue Streak Pearl
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@work and cannot view all of the video but if he is blaming MDS forget it. The lifter roller failure is not because of MDS.
Its like a bad lottery, I just did a prevention lifters swap keeping MDS. Changed lifters, springs, stem seals, and pushrods @135k miles. They all looked great but I plan on keeping the car.
I do have a blower and MDS disabled and shift @6k rpms at play, before and after the refresh.
I used MOPAR lifters dated 2020 on the packaging.

What are your symptoms?
I had my failure about 3 years ago at 105k miles. My first warning was a code for a misfire on #5. I repaired it with MSD delete and added a mild cam with a tune. Since then it has been running great.

I didn't post the video as a statement of fact or what I think, just another video of a guy who has some knowledge with these engines and what his opinion is relative to this topic and wanted to share it with the forum.

Cheers

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,775 Posts
Copy that, finally viewed it. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’m just going through all of these, since this is the prob the strangest car I actually worked on - how common is this? My RT has 118k & was maintained ok at best

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
Kudos are due to the dealers who in fact honor their "lifetime powertrain warranties." These are largely a sales gimmick of course, as they know that the majority of vehicle owners will sell or trade said car long before such a repair would likely crop up. I guess they need to throw a bone to someone along the way, so potential customers can see they do honor the warranty now and then.

Our daughter recently got her GM dealer to make good on their touted lifetime PT warranty to have a cracked exhaust manifold replaced at 130+k. This was after a good bit of back and forth nonsense, where the dealer tried to tell her that the cat converter was at fault (which isn't covered of course). She took it for a 2nd opinion, and those folks identified the cracked manifold. It was an uphill battle, as many of them are, because they don't want to honor it!

Don

Reactions: green8teen345

·
Registered
2018 Charger SXT
47 Posts
I’m just going through all of these, since this is the prob the strangest car I actually worked on - how common is this? My RT has 118k & was maintained ok at best
The lifter issues are pretty common on the 5.7 It can happen on 6.4s but not as often. But Dodge is not the only one, started much earlier with Chevy LS engines and still going.

·
Premium Member
1,940 Posts
BO:
It's not really fair to say that the lifter issue is common. More so on the 5.7, yes, but overall, a very small percentage of the total number of 5.7/6.4 engines in service across all applications.
It certainly sucks big time if one's vehicle experiences it out of warranty. I 100% agree that the issue should not be a worry under 150k. Nothing lasts forever of course. There are 5.7 owners out there with many, many miles, and no lifter issue. Then, there are the ones that seem to have it in the 80-90k range. It's my belief, that with today's technology, a given powertrain that is properly maintained, should go a minimum of 150K without a major repair.
We all know, or should know though, that the manufacturer's goal is to get through the warranty period. That's what the bean counters are for, along with the actuarial folks.

Don

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well said, totally

I seen so many cars/trucks fail right out of warranty - and, I mean at low miles. 36k I have seen multiple GM truck’s AC just completely die. And, so on & on

·
Registered
200 Posts
Usually how they get out of lifetime warranties is they'll say either the repair exceeds the value of the car or oem parts are no longer available. Same thing for the long term rust proofing warranties.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,775 Posts
Lifter failures are said to be in the low single digit %, but I went ahead and did a refresh @130 k miles.

Reactions: azchargerrt

·
Registered
21 Posts
I talked to my mechanic about this, he said he’d do a cam + the whole top end for 700 bucks in labor - I’ll wait, it runs too good to tear into it for now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts