1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
Anybody know anything about this performance part from Mopar? Just wondering if it is worth picking up or not? Should I expect any sort of performance increase?

MoparSuperCenter has a really good price on them right now.
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/5-7l-hemi-forged-steel-performance-crankshaftp5153479spec.html
More advertising that misleads........

A different crank, which has the same throw as the one you already have will NOT increase the power of the engine. This is not possible.

Now - if the new crank is strong (forged is good) and therefore 'lighter' then the original crank, what you end up doing is allowing the power that the engine produces to be used more efficiently. The power that used to go into fighting the inertis of the heavier crank is now released to the wheels. How much will depend on how much lighter the new crank is.

However, this will only help in accelerating the vehicle - a tiny bit more power to the wheels. It will not provide any other benefits (steady state driving) where inertia is not such an issue.

Lightening engine/powertrain components never increased the horse power of the engine. That is fixed by design.

If you changed the throw and the rods, then yes - power output can be increased.

Also - the new crankshaft may be beter balanced than the original, but unless you plan on running up to higher rpm, this will not really be of benefit either.

HTH

arf

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
The purpose of the forged crank is added strength. When you add heads, cam, tune, nitrous, etc. The added strength of the crank will help keep things together.

But their is always a weak link. Connecting rods, pistons, trans, arfur, half shafts, etc.

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
You bunch o' wanka's..... :smoke:

:grin:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Mopar Steel Forged Internals w/ Diamond Pistons /Viper Rods being installed next Week !!!! :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just some people I've been talking too and the fact that the MOPAR/MANLEY Pistons need a 0.02 bore.....Diamond makes a forged, High-compression, direct stock replacement w/ no need to bore. So instead of a big machining bill,it will be very tiny.....

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just some people I've been talking too and the fact that the MOPAR/MANLEY Pistons need a 0.02 bore.....Diamond makes a forged, High-compression, direct stock replacement w/ no need to bore. So instead of a big machining bill,it will be very tiny.....
hmmm......now I am leaning toward picking up that now at the great price and keep on the shelf until I am ready to do pistons and rods.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
hmmm......now I am leaning toward picking up that now at the great price and keep on the shelf until I am ready to do pistons and rods.
Thats what I did over a ago..... 380.00

·
Premium Member
20,935 Posts
I agree - if you are going to go through the ball-ache of swapping out the crank, you may as well save your pennies and get the rods and pistons - and if you're very flush, the heads swapped as well. All in the name of efficiency, of course.... :grin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts