Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 2006 charger R/T and i have a friend who wants to sell his 6.1l engine to me for pretty cheap. Is this a difficult swap? And what all is needed for it? Do I need to swap transmission, rear end, computer, wiring harness, ect. The more information I can get on it the better! I'm really wanting to do this for more HP!

Thanks,

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I have will reply, but I'd say don't do it.

The swap is, for all intents and purposes, plug and play. The trans, harnesses, etc are all the same. However, you would have to change/edit/swap the PCM (computer) and I'm not sure how complex that is.

How cheap are you getting the 6.1 for? Depending on the cost of it, you could just spend that money stroking or supercharging the 5.7. You'd also be making more power than you would by swapping in a stock 6.1.

I hope I've helped you see things from more angles, so you can make an informed decision.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'd buy the 6.1 and keep it tucked away for when the 5.7 dies. ORRRRRRRRRR I would buy the 6.1, and build it. Forged bottom end, procharger, cam, heads, headers, the works...and then pull out that 5.7 :D

·
Registered
181 Posts
It is a direct bolt in and the current PCm will run the 6.1 but not at its optimum. The only issue you may run into is if it is from a different year as Chrysler likes to change some of the plugs on sensors and such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well my buddy bought this car at auction and parted it out! Says he made more money than he bought it for and will sell me the srt8 6.1 hemi and transmission for $600! Which I think is pretty dang awesome. If it's a direct bolt in that means I can use the same transmission right? If so I'll just throw that bad boy in there and buy the computer from the car too! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My current transmission in the car is in pretty good condition so If Its as easy as dropping a new engine into it and swapping the computer I'm all for it! I've done a few engine swaps before but never heard of it being that Easy lol I was expecting to swap the whole drivetrain and transmission ect. Good thing I haven't started yet lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet will do then! Lol from what I hear you can just drop it in and swap the computer? Sounds too good to be true right now, but I'm gonna try it out and see how it works.. I'm worried about having electrical issues or if the transmission can handle it, I wish someone had a step by step thing on it that'd be fantastic!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what a lot of people are saying haha I used to have a mustang I swapped everything.. Driveshaft rear end transmission wireing harness ECU engine suspension everything was an absolute nightmare.. but doesn't seem like I'll go through that again! Definitely going to try it out. The hp difference will be awesome!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Chrysler used the same transmission behind the 5.7 and the 6.1 so it will handle it just fine. You will have the mds wiring harness in the 5.7 that you will not have on the 6.1. I don't remember if it is a separate harness that you can remove or if you will just have to tuck it out of the way. You may have vin comparability issues when you install the new PCM so that will have to be addressed. Also the exhaust manifolds are different so some changes will be made there. If he has the pipes that bolt to the manifolds with the cars get them also. That will make the change easier for you. 600 is a steal. The intake manifold sells for close to that just by itself.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
I could see the mds needing to be addressed for one, and the exhaust also. And the 6.1 radiator is thicker (severe duty).
Me too. I'd research more on flexplate/converter compatibility.

As others wrote, it's a steal!

Someone mentioned forged bottom end; isn't the 6.1 forged bottom. I know the crossbolted mains make it super strong. Someone also mentioned adding power to your 5.7 and making more power. True, but not with the beefiness built into the 6.1.

Does Mopar Performance still have a tech line? They could help if so.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
True the 6.1 has a stronger bottom end. The advantage a 5.7 has over the 6.1 is the added piston to valve clearence which would allow you to put a cam with more overlap in to give you that old muscle car sound without changing the pistons. There may be a slight difference in the radiator but nothing you would notice on a normal driver. Forabodiesonly has a great section on the new hemis. Most deal with swapping them into older cars but there is some great technical information.

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the OP hasn't posted in a while.

He has a great deal on a 6.1L and wants to know how to make it work. The rest of the debate is off-topic for what he asked.

The simple answer is that the 6.1L is a drop-in for his car and only needs a tuner to make it work. He can turn off the MDS in the PCM with a tuner and adjust all the other parameters accordingly to make it work.

The tranny is the same and is a direct bolt-in. The TCM will work just fine with a tuner to make shift point adjustments.

The PCM is linked to the gauge cluster and the car in general, so switching it out is more trouble than it is worth.

If all the OP wants to do is swap out the engine, all he needs is a tuner to make it work properly. I would suggest grabbing the radiator too for the larger cooling capacity.

The other thing to consider grabbing would be the rear diff since it has the 3.06 gears. The tuner can be used to adjust the PCM for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The transmission is the same in both vehicles the 5.7 and 6.1 but you'll need the drivetrain.
Well my buddy bought this car at auction and parted it out! Says he made more money than he bought it for and will sell me the srt8 6.1 hemi and transmission for $600! Which I think is pretty dang awesome. If it's a direct bolt in that means I can use the same transmission right? If so I'll just throw that bad boy in there and buy the computer from the car too! :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
5 and a half years later...

Reactions: HemiLonestar
1 - 20 of 20 Posts