Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm a chrysler certified tech at a dealership in South Florida. I've been a member of srtforums since 04 and I'm an "oldtimer" on the site. I recently came across a flash for the pcm for 5.7 chargers and magnums thats for the police units. I have no idea what is so different about the flash from the standard software for the public. I'm hoping someone could tell me the differences, especially if theres any hp differences.

Also if you are live in or near Palm Beach county Fl and want to be a guinnie pig that would be great! But if so, I must warn you I do not know what this flash does and if it could harm things like o2 sensors and possibly worse. Thats why I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

A tech I met while in trainig in orlando told me he reflashed a magnum with the police software and it would free rev in park and neutral to 6k and it removed the speed limiter. I dont know if I should believe him or not but its a start. So has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Doesn't a tuner have the ability to upload the PCM coding?
Can't you put a tuner on the police flash and upload and, with pc software, compare it to stock to see what the changes are?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
police flash

i'm in ft lauderdale and might be willing to let you try it on one of my cars-if you can do the tcm at the same time BUT i'm wondering if the super chips tuner would be useless then [different program flash] i use the sc tunner for the trans and tire [speedo] adjustment -[18 inch to 20 tire size change]

·
Registered
345 Posts
it will be interesting to see what the differences are...

although... for most people, getting their local dodge dealership to cooperate would be the real trick... and even if you do... everytime your car is in a dealership in the future you'll have to watch it real close to be sure that the tune isn't flashed over to the latest stock program. if you ever have a "driveability" problem and they noticed the non-stock program, that's the first thing they would try to do.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Three mode ESP and no speed limiter (maybe 150, but I know MSP went over that in testing, and I heard the Texas police testers did too) are the only differences.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey, I'm a chrysler certified tech at a large dealership in South Florida. I've been a member of srtforums since 04 and I'm an "oldtimer" on the site. I recently came across a flash for the pcm for 5.7 chargers and magnums thats for the police units. I have no idea what is so different about the flash from the standard software for the public. I'm hoping someone could tell me the differences, especially if theres any hp differences.

Also if you are live in or near Palm Beach county Fl and want to be a guinnie pig that would be great! But if so, I must warn you I do not know what this flash does and if it could harm things like o2 sensors and possibly worse. Thats why I'm trying to get as much info as I can.

A tech I met while in trainig in orlando told me he reflashed a magnum with the police software and it would free rev in park and neutral to 6k and it removed the speed limiter. I dont know if I should believe him or not but its a start. So has anyone heard of this?

Hey Epic are you at Arrigo dodge? Thats where I got my RT from.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok I made a few calls and from the info I've gotten I've found that it removes the speed limiter, gives you a little more power and it may also remove the traction control. Although there has been some arguments about the traction control. Officers say they would like it removed because in certain times it can become intrusive. On the other hand police officials say they want it retained due to safety. But really how much of a hardship is it to push a button to turn it off when you start the car?

The police package doesn't differ that much from the units available to the public. Parts are the same aside from what they add like siren, lights blah blah.... The software for the pcm for sure. Maybe the tcm, but I haven't had time to look into it yet.

As far as getting your local dealer to do it..... yeah I doubt that will fly. You can also be sure that if the technician finds the police software in your pcm or any other modules if available any warranty related repairs are out the window. The flash is designed to work with the components that are already there, so no parts are different. I want to dig a little deeper into the tcm and possibly get a vin from a police car and see if there are any other changes. From there I'd like to flash a car and possibly take it to the track and compare it with its previous times and butt dyno results so see if its really worth doing. So if someone in the South Florida area wants to use their car for the test that would be sweet! Keep in mind I doubt a dealer will perform any warranty repairs if they find the software loaded into the pcm.

Yes if you bring the vehicle in for driveability concerns the first thing that should be done is check to see if the pcm and tcm has the latest software updates. When I see a module who's software doesn't have the latest part # I just go ahead and update it which removes all previous software. So thats one concern with having this in there. As far as it effecting the sc tuner I doubt it. In theory it should still operate the same. Both standard cars and ones with the police package use the same wheel speed sensors so the software for them has to be the same. Although I could be wrong and it may not work.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
No extra power, and ESP, TCS and BLD are set up the same as SRT. Meaning that OFF (one button press and release) reduces trigger values for ESP and TCS. DISABLE (press and hold til chime and display in EVIC) turns ESP and TCS off, while leaving BLD active.

From a recent report I read on the first annual DCX Police Advisory Group meeting, looks like that three mode ESP will be going away next year. 08s? I dont know, but they said it was a pretty sure thing.

http://www.hendonpub.com/publications/policefleetmanager/policepackage.asp

During the developmental phase of the DCX police packages, the full off position in ESP was created directly from requests made from officers who believed that the system would be invasive. However, prudent police chiefs and sheriffs first objected to the full off position during the DCX Fleet, Eight-City Drive event held in late-2005 and early-2006. The DCX Police Advisory Board was also almost unanimous against the full off position. Expect future DCX police cars to use the retail settings of on and partial off.
Both the retail and police vehicles have a “partial off” setting for ESP. In partial off, the ESP thresholds are raised, i.e., the stability control allows more understeer and more oversteer before engaging. In partial off, the traction-control function is disengaged, but the ABS function remains fully intact. This mode allows some wheelspin for more aggressive driving, getting out of snow, etc.

Unique to the police vehicle, the ESP can be turned to “full off.” Full off means just that. Both the stability control and traction control are completely disengaged. This allows the police officer to operate the vehicle without assistance from these safety systems. In all modes, ABS and brake assist are not affected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I have a 05 Magnum RT. I got SuperChips Tuner Flashpaq. My mechanic downloaded (at my request) the Performance software. It worked. The car was freaken Fast with so much torque you were pushed back into your seat. Took corners like it was the straightaway. Blew my mind. For a vehicle that weighs 2.65 Imp Tons it Moved. Only 1 thing: it goes thru gas like never before. Worth it though if you want some fun and excitement and know this car is Aces. Just saying. You maybe don't need the flash or a police pcm/ecm/eu. Try it. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Hey I have a 05 Magnum RT. I got SuperChips Tuner Flashpaq. My mechanic downloaded (at my request) the Performance software. It worked. The car was freaken Fast with so much torque you were pushed back into your seat. Took corners like it was the straightaway. Blew my mind. For a vehicle that weighs 2.65 Imp Tons it Moved. Only 1 thing: it goes thru gas like never before. Worth it though if you want some fun and excitement and know this car is Aces. Just saying. You maybe don't need the flash or a police pcm/ecm/eu. Try it. Cheers!
What performance software? Chryslers? Superchips? Mechanic works at Chrysler? How would a tune affect cornering?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Just want to give a heads up on maintenance for the 05 Magnum RT Hemi 5.7 MDS long body engine and Mercedes tranny. This car is going to be 17 yrs old in 2020. Regular maintenance schedules no longer apply. No car is ever Meant to go past the 10 year mark. Do oil changes every 4 to 5 mos. Not six. With Synthetic oil. Flush the tranny and replace the filter every 2 yrs to 3yrs. Do a coolant flush every three yrs. 60/40. Watch out for the power steering pump. It tends to stiffen and the steering sucks if you don't replace the fluid regularly. Do a throttle clean every year. Put premium gas in it. Why? Even if you have low miles on it it's still wearing out at 17yrs old. Also all the seals and rubber are drying out or drying out or ready to crack live valve seats and seals. Particles are more likely to fill and block filters. And there is metal fatigue. Which is why you need to keep your lubricants at a higher viscosity, Change the engine air filter every time you have an oil change. Change the plugs every year. Do a full tune up every three years not at recommended times. Depending on how much you drive to a point. Like you put on 25 thousand miles a year? Tune up every two yrs. Undercoat the car with a three to four year lasting coat. Old cars take one Hell of a lot of care. That's why the limit is at most ten yrs. Nobody wants to put in the maintenance. But honestly? It can be cheaper than a brand new car with all the payments etc. Take it or leave it. Just what I know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow. If you have ESP? Think about it. It's computer controlled/electronic. How else would HP and Torque increase? It's all driven by computer. And pcm etc nowadays operate on Software. It's not a hardwired circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Let me explain. All car systems from brakes to coolant levels power steering and acceleration, spark plug ignition per cylinder, speed of crankshaft and camshaft, valves opening and closing etc. Though mechanical in nature are controlled by sensors (electronic devices) that report to the main computer. This fact is the revolutionary development that allows a flexibility and determination for processes that could never be controlled before except strictly mechanically. We can increase mileage, reduce maintenance costs, add safety features, increase horse power and torque, use AWD, not just 4x4. Etc. Plus a mechanic can fix your car faster in less time know what's wrong. A little four banger from the 1970s is a wimp compared to the speeds a four banger can now achieve on even less gas. Yes SuperChips does have engine specs and software specs from all major car companies. They build on existing software and tweak it for any number of uses. Like towing, off road, mileage, etc. And No car can be made to perform outside the limits of its technical mechanical specs. The Magnum RT is simply incapable of going faster than a Ferrari. For one it weighs too much. Two it doesn't have the suspension to keep itself on the road at ridiculous speeds. And three it simply doesn't have the HP to move almost three tons at those accelerations. But it's overall driving performance can be improved. Within limits. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey I forgot to tell ya. You don't need to engage ESP if you download the SC Performance software. You just need to have it. It's important I tell you this. God knows what would happen if you actually pressed the button on esp. Boggles my mind. Might be Ok might be a disaster.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Holy 12 year old thread.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Let me explain. All car systems from brakes to coolant levels power steering and acceleration, spark plug ignition per cylinder, speed of crankshaft and camshaft, valves opening and closing etc. Though mechanical in nature are controlled by sensors (electronic devices) that report to the main computer. This fact is the revolutionary development that allows a flexibility and determination for processes that could never be controlled before except strictly mechanically. We can increase mileage, reduce maintenance costs, add safety features, increase horse power and torque, use AWD, not just 4x4. Etc. Plus a mechanic can fix your car faster in less time know what's wrong. A little four banger from the 1970s is a wimp compared to the speeds a four banger can now achieve on even less gas. Yes SuperChips does have engine specs and software specs from all major car companies. They build on existing software and tweak it for any number of uses. Like towing, off road, mileage, etc. And No car can be made to perform outside the limits of its technical mechanical specs. The Magnum RT is simply incapable of going faster than a Ferrari. For one it weighs too much. Two it doesn't have the suspension to keep itself on the road at ridiculous speeds. And three it simply doesn't have the HP to move almost three tons at those accelerations. But it's overall driving performance can be improved. Within limits. Hope that helps. Merry Christmas.

"Software" will not change steering ratio, alignment, tire/substrate adhesion abilities, etc etc.

So in short, a tune will not make a magnum handle better. Make it go faster than before but far as skidpad capabilities it will not change physical limitations already there from design. What in the world you were rambling about I have no clue. Sounds great but doesn't really have much to deal with the question. Hey you oughta try selling oil!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts