Charger Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had this 6.1L motor (complete) lying in my stall for about 2 months now. Has a spun crank bearing and it only had 950 miles. (When a car has that low of mileage chrysler sends you a motor straight off the assembly line, wiring harness, coils, everything. basically a car on the assembly line doesn't get a motor.) so I bought the core from chrysler for $250 thinking "What the hell, I might do something with it." So yesterday I started doing a little research on what I could do to that thing. (I'm not going to just put a stock 6.1 in it, that would be ludacris) And I came across the Compstar Crankshaft and Rods from Callies. They claim that it will turn a 6.1 into a 426 Hemi. So again I said "What the hell, $950 for a forged crank and rods, why not." so I ordered it and then I found out that Mopar Performance makes actual "Hemi" Domed pistons for our motors as well (5.7L and 6.1L) They are about $1,100 My cost. So I ordered those too. So for a little over $2000 I will have myself a 426 Stroker. And i'll probably end up putting the 392 Hemi cam in it as well. Should have all the parts here by friday. And Dammit, right after I spent all that time putting a cam and headers on my 5.7 last week! My wife has a Grand Cherokee with a 3.7L in it, I think I'll put my old hemi in it so she can have a little power.:lol:

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
Dont forget PCM flashing, fuel rails, cam...many other upgrades needed to make it run right......if it sounds too good to be true then...............:lie: ........hope it works for ya...:plain:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Wow, a 426 for $2000, wish I could get that kind of hookup! :)
I see you live in Santa Rosa, I grew up in Healdsburg and Santa Rosa.

So, I've had this 6.1L motor (complete) lying in my stall for about 2 months now. Has a spun crank bearing and it only had 950 miles. (When a car has that low of mileage chrysler sends you a motor straight off the assembly line, wiring harness, coils, everything. basically a car on the assembly line doesn't get a motor.) so I bought the core from chrysler for $250 thinking "What the hell, I might do something with it." So yesterday I started doing a little research on what I could do to that thing. (I'm not going to just put a stock 6.1 in it, that would be ludacris) And I came across the Compstar Crankshaft and Rods from Callies. They claim that it will turn a 6.1 into a 426 Hemi. So again I said "What the hell, $950 for a forged crank and rods, why not." so I ordered it and then I found out that Mopar Performance makes actual "Hemi" Domed pistons for our motors as well (5.7L and 6.1L) They are about $1,100 My cost. So I ordered those too. So for a little over $2000 I will have myself a 426 Stroker. And i'll probably end up putting the 392 Hemi cam in it as well. Should have all the parts here by friday. And Dammit, right after I spent all that time putting a cam and headers on my 5.7 last week! My wife has a Grand Cherokee with a 3.7L in it, I think I'll put my old hemi in it so she can have a little power.:lol:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You are going to need a differnet flash than you can get from the dealer on the PCM. The stroker has well a different stroke and dwell. I think you will need to bore that block also.

C.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Dont forget PCM flashing, fuel rails, cam...many other upgrades needed to make it run right......if it sounds too good to be true then...............:lie: ........hope it works for ya...:plain:
I got the cam covered and I have the rails and injectors off the 6.1L. The PCM is no problem for me, (see my previous threads) the predator I got coming, whenever that decides to show up, should be able to let me adjust injector pulsewidth enough. if not the PCM will adapt, as long as I have a big enough cam. Trust me I haven't yet been in a position where I can't get something like this to work. just gotta be smarter than the engineers.

And there are many things that can be done with these computers besides the factory flashes. factory flashes are just a preset set of parameters. They can be edited with the right software that is designed by Chrysler. Trust me

·
Banned
8,603 Posts
I got the cam covered and I have the rails and injectors off the 6.1L. The PCM is no problem for me, (see my previous threads) the predator I got coming, whenever that decides to show up, should be able to let me adjust injector pulsewidth enough. if not the PCM will adapt, as long as I have a big enough cam. Trust me I haven't yet been in a position where I can't get something like this to work. just gotta be smarter than the engineers.

And there are many things that can be done with these computers besides the factory flashes. factory flashes are just a preset set of parameters. They can be edited with the right software that is designed by Chrysler. Trust me

Ley us know how it turns out...

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I can gurantee you, that for $900, you will not be receiving a crank and rods, but even so, you still have to bore the block, grind to accomodate rods, you need bigger injectors 6.1's are not enough, hone the block, new bearings. Not to mention that I dont think you are getting the rods for that price. Also, I dont think the mopar performance pistons will work with those rods. I hope it all works out and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can gurantee you, that for $900, you will not be receiving a crank and rods, but even so, you still have to bore the block, grind to accomodate rods, you need bigger injectors 6.1's are not enough, hone the block, new bearings. Not to mention that I

you're right about the rods, I mistyped the crank is 900 and when bought as a package with the rods its about 1450. I was told by Callies that it is made to work with no modification to block and the stock pistons. the mopar ones are also made to with with stock components.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts