Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not kept up so please excuse me if this is a repost.

Has anyone driving a 08 3.5L V6 with 4 spd auto? Do you feel any difference compare to the 06-07 models with 5 spd auto?

I beleive (sure) the 5spd auto is the same as the Hemi+, so it can handle a lot more hp & torque. Is the 4spd auto up the tasks of handling 3.5L V6 in your opinion?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Not the answer you're looking for, but I had the 4 speed "Ultradrive" in my '93 LH with that generation's 3.5 which put out less HP (225 or so and a bit less torque if I recall).

What I remember was the disappointing 2nd gear vs. the NAG1 5-speed... the Charger keeps pulling hard in 2nd but the LH kinda went flat in 2nd. I would be disappointed with the Ultradrive in a 3.5 Charger unless they've changed the gearing since '93.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have an '08 SXT, I'm the first at our office, every other fleet car we have is an SE 3.5HO. Chrysler changed all fleet models to the SXT from the SE for '08. Having driven the '06-'07 SE 3.5L/300 Touring 5-speeds sport shifts RWD vs. my 4-speed RWD I can tell no difference in the seat. It still pulls very hard, well hard for the 3.5L. I for one will gladly give up the 5-speed SE for the 4-speed SXT as it finally allowed me to purchase the Sunroof, and optioned the Bluetooth/Sirius 6 speaker radio. The fog lights and chrome grill are a nice touch too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an '08 SXT, I'm the first at our office, every other fleet car we have is an SE 3.5HO. Chrysler changed all fleet models to the SXT from the SE for '08. Having driven the '06-'07 SE 3.5L/300 Touring 5-speeds sport shifts RWD vs. my 4-speed RWD I can tell no difference in the seat. It still pulls very hard, well hard for the 3.5L. I for one will gladly give up the 5-speed SE for the 4-speed SXT as it finally allowed me to purchase the Sunroof, and optioned the Bluetooth/Sirius 6 speaker radio. The fog lights and chrome grill are a nice touch too.
congrats for the car :)
maybe 4-speed sxt is slower than 5-speed sxt but anyway hope u like it :)

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
4-speed 5-speed, I doubt you will see any performance loss with the 4 speed!

Why, its not wasting it time shifting more times than needed!

As to the durability of the 4-speed, only the early 199X had issues, today it probably the most reliable tranny Chrysler has (and it does not LEAK!)

the 3.5L and the 4 speed are excellent together!

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
4-speed 5-speed, I doubt you will see any performance loss with the 4 speed!

Why, its not wasting it time shifting more times than needed!

As to the durability of the 4-speed, only the early 199X had issues, today it probably the most reliable tranny Chrysler has (and it does not LEAK!)

the 3.5L and the 4 speed are excellent together!

it wouldnt be moe times than needed. most people in a 1/4 mile will prob not even get to 5th gear i wouldnt think.

the option to wind out each gear is gone so that can play a factor that a 5 speed would have an advantage to in addition to the gear ratios.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
As you said, but with the axle ratio of 3.64 for the 4 speed and 3.09 for the 5 speed, the 4 speed is at least as fast, so again, no need for a 5 speed.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
As you said, but with the axle ratio of 3.64 for the 4 speed and 3.09 for the 5 speed, the 4 speed is at least as fast, so again, no need for a 5 speed.
nah, i agree to that. in drag racing, no real need for many gears. some of the top dragsters i;ve seen are 3 speed autos.

i;d have to see what each ratio is in each gear though to say if its at least that fast, though. its a possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
congrats for the car :)
maybe 4-speed sxt is slower than 5-speed sxt but anyway hope u like it :)
I'm loving it, my last car was a 6-speed Auto and this is WAY faster then the last one...

And the seats and radio are nicer too. Which is nice when you put 75,000mi on a car in 2 years.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about day to day in the long run? Can the 4spd handle 250hp in the long run? Look at it this way, if the 5 spd is meant for the Hemi, that means for the 3.5L, it would NOT a weak link. You can call it over-engineered, and we can expected it last longer?

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
How about day to day in the long run? Can the 4spd handle 250hp in the long run? Look at it this way, if the 5 spd is meant for the Hemi, that means for the 3.5L, it would NOT a weak link. You can call it over-engineered, and we can expected it last longer?
well this is just a rule of thumb thing i learned from the past. but usually the less moving parts gears, the bigger the parts are inside, given the case is around the same. meaning less things to go wrong.

thats why i loved my 3 speed auto in my older cars. bulletproof nearly.

but only time will tell really. i wouldnt forsee a problem. most things in production can handle a good percentage OVER what they are used for.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes the 42RLE can handle the 250hp torque of the 3.5. The 42LE was mated to the old 3.5 producing 253 hp and 253 torque. THe only thing with 42RLE it doesnt seem as smooth as the FWD version. The police departments should love this transmission because it will allow them to do turn abouts more quickly due to no delay. Dont worry the 42RLE is durable...i had a friend who she use to dog her trans.... she would back out of drive way doing about 5mph slam it in D and then punch it. Thats how she always drove the car and it didnt have any issues. She drives a 1997 LHS with 210,000 miles (orig trans) with the 42LE which was the design specs for the 42RLE. So im happy with it nice trans. I would like to see chrysler do the 62RLE trans but who knows how that will go.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know much about LH, isn't FWD trans different from RWD? From the transmission codes you put up, I see the family tree. So only the latter part (don't know what it's call) is different between FWD and RWD?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've not kept up so please excuse me if this is a repost.

Has anyone driving a 08 3.5L V6 with 4 spd auto? Do you feel any difference compare to the 06-07 models with 5 spd auto?

I beleive (sure) the 5spd auto is the same as the Hemi+, so it can handle a lot more hp & torque. Is the 4spd auto up the tasks of handling 3.5L V6 in your opinion?
I test drove an '08 Chrysler 300 with a 3.5L/4 speed auto and an 07 Charger with a 3.5L/5 speed auto. No noticeable difference in acceleration.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - D :pray: its 5 speed auto ??

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm glad to hear the 42LE is holding its own. I've changed my own tune somewhat, I now think of the NAG1 as a finicky Mercedes trans which will be a weak spot as my Charger ages.

It's leaky... and of course I can't check the fluid without a trip to the dealership. And of course it's now out of warranty.

And when I got stuck in the snow last Monday, it took hella long to shift from reverse to drive to perform a basic rocking maneuver.

And I can swear my '93 LH's 42LE actually enjoyed going from reverse to drive while moving :p

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
is the 4 speed still auto stick

·
Registered
118 Posts
The reason for the early morning sluggish rocking is due to a garage shift program on these cars. If the car is cold and idling high the trans will do a smooth shift from R to D to avoid surge. The 4 speed transmission will do a hard engage into D. The 4 speed does not have autostick well at least not the 42RLE. The 5 speed NAG1/W5a580/722.6 trans is still in use with Mercedes on their v12 s600-cl600...Maybach vehicles....and other things. I would like if they would change the shift schedule on this to be a little softer on shifts but at same time shift quicker. But i dont know why they added the w5a580 to jeep grand cherokee but not hemi or 4.7...go figure. One down side on chrysler transmission are 1-2 shifting (Usually hard or power loss in 2nd) or recently torque converters causing a wobble when locking up. I like the 4 speed but there should be some tweaking to it to make it shift more refined. Hopefully we will see the 62RLE but i think it will be a while before that happens it need to be carefully tweaked in shifting department if not there will be tons of bump noises due to shift busyness of the 6 speed. O well enough of this wishful thinking. I am happy with the 5 speed on my touring edition its shift schedule is much better than the charger or dodge per say...dodge is just too firm with the shifts i think

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
I'm glad to hear the 42LE is holding its own. I've changed my own tune somewhat, I now think of the NAG1 as a finicky Mercedes trans which will be a weak spot as my Charger ages.

It's leaky... and of course I can't check the fluid without a trip to the dealership. And of course it's now out of warranty.

And when I got stuck in the snow last Monday, it took hella long to shift from reverse to drive to perform a basic rocking maneuver.

And I can swear my '93 LH's 42LE actually enjoyed going from reverse to drive while moving :p
might be some hope for that....checking the trans oil that is...

http://wyckoffchryslerparts.com/troillechto.html

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
70 bucks isnt bad especialy never knowing if that leak is ever gonna come back

1 - 20 of 20 Posts