Charger Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I need help. I am trying to figure out the best way to wire my after market system that I purchased. I have already upgraded the 6 BA speakers to Kickers a while ago. I just purchased a JVC double DIN NAV head unit with 5 preamp outs (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub) and a 100W x 4 channel amp. I want to run the dash 3.5" speakers off the deck's bult-in amp and the four 6x9s off the 4 channel amp. I also got the harness that will allow me to bypass the factory amp as well. What is the easiest and cheapest way to wire this with what I have? I assume that if I use the front speaker preamp outs to run to the amp, I can not also use the front speaker wire from the head unit. Is that correct? Thanks for any suggestions/feedback.

Cheers

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
YES you can use both the radios wire leads out and the rcas at the same time.
but YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM-the kickers you upgraded to were they the srt kicker?
IF so -you CAN NOT hook them to the head unit [any of them]
REASON why is because they are 2ohm load speakers and will fry the head units internal amp from too much load.
THE 1000 watt 4 channel amp you have-is it rated for a 2ohm load?
THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THIS IS CHANNELS 1 AND 2 OFF your new amp will run the dash speakers-channels 3-4 will run the front doors and the rear speaker leads from the head unit will run the rear deck speakers.
IF YOU really want to run the dash off the headunit you will need to put 4 ohm speakers in their place and install bass blocker cap [2.2 khs] in line on the positive lead wire to filter all mid bass and bass out of the signal or you will blow them up fast. if YOU RUN THE DASH SPEAKER OFF THE AMP YOU CAN PROTECT THEM and fine tune them with the cross over on the amp along with the front door speakers for best sound quality and just let the headunit run the rear deck speaker it self-plus you can use the headunits cross at 80hrz to protect the rear deck speakers but they will have to be switched out to a 4 ohm set

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES you can use both the radios wire leads out and the rcas at the same time.
but YOU MAY HAVE A PROBLEM-the kickers you upgraded to were they the srt kicker?
IF so -you CAN NOT hook them to the head unit [any of them]
REASON why is because they are 2ohm load speakers and will fry the head units internal amp from too much load.
THE 1000 watt 4 channel amp you have-is it rated for a 2ohm load?
THE RIGHT WAY TO DO THIS IS CHANNELS 1 AND 2 OFF your new amp will run the dash speakers-channels 3-4 will run the front doors and the rear speaker leads from the head unit will run the rear deck speakers.
IF YOU really want to run the dash off the headunit you will need to put 4 ohm speakers in their place and install bass blocker cap [2.2 khs] in line on the positive lead wire to filter all mid bass and bass out of the signal or you will blow them up fast. if YOU RUN THE DASH SPEAKER OFF THE AMP YOU CAN PROTECT THEM and fine tune them with the cross over on the amp along with the front door speakers for best sound quality and just let the headunit run the rear deck speaker it self-plus you can use the headunits cross at 80hrz to protect the rear deck speakers but they will have to be switched out to a 4 ohm set
Thanks for the quick response, bro! Sorry, I should have specified...they are not the SRT edition Kicker speakers. They are just the regular aftermarket 4ohm 100w peak (I think) 3-way 6x9s. The reason I wanted to used the deck's 20W/channel built-in amp for the dash speakers is that I have noticed that they distort a lot easier than the rest when the same power is being run to them as the rest. I figured I could avoid that by having the amp power the four 6x9s and be able to give them a lot more juice.

So does that mean that I can just run the front speaker wires from the deck to the dash speakers and the front and rear preamp outs to the amp for the 6x9s? Thanks again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just installed the new head unit and amp this weekend. Everything worked out perfectly with the dash speaker running off the head unit internal amp and the others off the amp. It sounds great! Thanks again for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts