Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever considered putting the new 392s in a first gen lx?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talking like a new crate 392 out of the new srts in the first gen lx models..it is something i have been thinking about rather then pumping a bunch of money into a 5.7 why not just throw the big boy in it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dude that would be sick!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
i know man. i got to looking you can find a crate 392 for around 7 grand... for the super charger i want will run around 7 grand...the new 392 are putting down sc 5.7 numbers out the box...so why not spend my money with one of them...both of them will both require money to install and i understand the wiring will be the main part with a swap...but it just makes sense to me

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well yeah you could...but i would always keep mine around

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't care to tear into my stock motor

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I'm taking a motor out Im not putting the same one in lol

·
Premium Member
17,444 Posts
If you stroke it, it won't be the same engine. ;)

You can put a stock 392 in the LX chassis. Mopar sells the engine and PCM to do it.

Although, I don't know why you would do it. You can do so much more with a stroker engine from Arrington and get much more hp more out of it.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
Why? You can make the 5.7 a 392 alot easier.....
You can match the displacement easy enough, true, but I think the differences between the motors is a bit more than just cubic inches. One motor is designed by SRT engineers backed by hudreds of thousands, if not millions dollars in testing, the other method gets you a bunch of parts put together by someone with no testing beyond whatever lifespan the other motors they have built have experienced.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Thatd be grwat to do, once this motor goes, that may be what i do :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, and a 392 .. 470 hp and tourqe out the box .. A nice safe motor I can use as a daily driver

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
With MDS, one of the main reasons I chose my carro

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
The 6.4 is based on the 5.7L architecture and is just a bored 5.7L. Have you looked at Arrington Performance in Martinsville VA for their 5.7L to 392 Stroker kits? They quoted me a price for the kit and intall for less than what you would pay for the crate engine. They also do the tuning for you.

·
Premium Member
15,199 Posts
The 6.4 is based on the 5.7L architecture and is just a bored 5.7L. Have you looked at Arrington Performance in Martinsville VA for their 5.7L to 392 Stroker kits? They quoted me a price for the kit and intall for less than what you would pay for the crate engine. They also do the tuning for you.

Sure about that? Based on is not the same as identical, and I would venture to say that while the current gen 5.7 and 6.4 are more common than the old 5.7/6.1, the differences are greater than just some displacement. but I could be wrong, I'll see what I can dig up.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
Sure about that? Based on is not the same as identical, and I would venture to say that while the current gen 5.7 and 6.4 are more common than the old 5.7/6.1, the differences are greater than just some displacement. but I could be wrong, I'll see what I can dig up.
This is what I found last night. (Looking at Arrington to get the 392 Stroker kit installed when I have 12months or 12,000miles) A lot cheaper than getting the SRT with the added weight.

The 6.4L HEMI (392 CID) eight-cylinder SRT high performance engine is a 90° V-Type, deep skirt, lightweight cast iron block with aluminum heads, single cam, overhead valves, and hydraulic roller lifters. The heads incorporate splayed valves with a hemispherical style combustion chamber and dual spark plugs. The cylinders are numbered from front to rear; 1, 3, 5, 7 on the left bank and 2, 4, 6, 8 on the right bank. The firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The 6.4L HEMI engine is a bored and stroked version of the 5.7L HEMI engine developed for SRT high performance vehicles. This engine shares the same architecture as the 2009 5.7L HEMI with the following Performance Upgrades:

Increased Bore
Increased Stoke
Increased Valve Sizing
The 6.4L HEMI engine also has improved horsepower, torque and fuel economy as compared with the 6.1L HEMI engine. This is achieved with the larger displacement and the following Technical Improvements:

Variable Cam Timing (VCT) Cam Phasing System
Multi-Displacement System (MDS)
High Flow Ports
Increased Maximum RPM
Combustion Chamber Shape
Higher Compression Ratio

It shares the same as the 2009 and not the 2007 as I thought.

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
BTW, are you still with VQ? I retired in 2000 and flew with VQ4 from 1985-1988.:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
12 Participants
HemiLonestar
Charger Forums
ChargerForums to connect with the Dodge Charger community to discuss SRT, Hellcat models, maintenance, mods and more.
Full Forum Listing