Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if its possible to directly swap a 392 motor into a 5.7. I have a 2013 R/T 130K miles and my lifters finally ate up my camshaft. So I was looking into an engine swap but I was told it's possible to input a 392. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this

· Registered
2,399 Posts
Sure you can, but is it cost efective. Junk yard 392? Then consider you probably need the transmission too to handle the extra power. Also, your rear axles, can they handle the power.
Computer would need to be changed too and flashed with your milage.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
C'mon man...use the search button. There are at minimum 750 threads about this topic on here!

Could it be done? Anything is possible. Would it make sense? Not at all. Would cost you an arm and a leg, reliability would be an issue, and the car still isn't worth any more money. Best advice I can say is buy a used 392.

Reactions: N8ECH and RitzRT

· Registered
5,726 Posts
I was wondering if its possible to directly swap a 392 motor into a 5.7. I have a 2013 R/T 130K miles and my lifters finally ate up my camshaft. So I was looking into an engine swap but I was told it's possible to input a 392. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on this

Also, chances are you don't need a new motor just because a lifter(s) ate into the came lobe. I had that happen on my 392 on cylinder #8 at 101,000 miles. Had new lifters and new cam installed, all OEM, and still going strong a 137k miles.

Will cost you $2,500-$4,000 to have the work done depending on the route you take, but still a heck of a lot cheaper than doing a 392 swap.

Reactions: M0P4R_trey

· Registered
3,274 Posts
C'mon man...use the search button. There are at minimum 750 threads about this topic on here!

Could it be done? Anything is possible. Would it make sense? Not at all. Would cost you an arm and a leg, reliability would be an issue, and the car still isn't worth any more money. Best advice I can say is buy a used 392.
Now now. Common sense and googling is too hard. Easier to ask the same question that has been asked a million times. ESP when newbs come on. I ask questions if I exhausted all my searches with little to no results but wtf do I know. :D

· Registered
212 Posts
Not sure why all the hate.
You can get a 392 long block from MMX for under 5k + shipping/install. Nag1 transmission is the same, swap over all sensors, coil packs, valve covers, accessories; you can even use you Eagle intake manifold and air intake to save money. You’d have a brand new engine + an extra 110HP. This is assuming the rest of the car is in good shape.

· Registered
3,274 Posts
Ball busting=hate? No one can take a joke. All beta men and liberal crybaby snowflakes. Sigh.

· Registered
2012 SRT Charger, 2003 Ram hemi, 2005 Magnum
3,249 Posts
Some of these answers are retarded lol. @Calekowilson if you have a line on a good one to use, yes it will drop right in and bolt to your trans. NAG1 is a NAG1, the only difference will be TCM programming (easily fixed). You'll need to custom tune it. It has recently been discovered and tested that the SRV manifold can be wired to the PCM and HPTuners can enable that in at least 2012 to 2014's. If you don't want to bother with it your stock intake manifold will work just fine, just swap injectors. That will still give you at least 450hp with functioning MDS of you want it and potential for more.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
There is no hate, it is a fact that there are seriously at least 100 threads on this. Nobody ever does it. Someone will post a question asking if it's feasible, and then will post a reply or two, and then disappear.

The general gist of every single one...

"I have a used 2013 5.7 with 87,000 miles on it that was just wrecked. I have a buddy who can get a good deal on a used 392. He says it should bolt right up but he wasn't 100% positive. We will be doing most of the work ourselves."

And then it never happens.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
A simple search of "392 swap" and on only the first 3 pages there is 14 threads on swapping a 6.4 into a 5.7. 22 pages left that I didn't look at...

· Registered
8,285 Posts
A simple search of "392 swap" and on only the first 3 pages there is 14 threads on swapping a 6.4 into a 5.7. 22 pages left that I didn't look at...
Yeah, it's pure laziness. It's usually a pipe dream from some "kid" who has a wrecked car or a V6, not a whole lot of money, and are looking for someone to spoon feed them the process. If it was an easy process and cost effective, you'd see a success story or two around. But those are fairly uncommon.

Best,

Reactions: N8ECH

· Registered
212 Posts
V6 to 392 is a dream for 99.9999% of people and will never get done.
If someone already needs to have a shop pull the heads to fix a cam and lifters then it is not much more to throw in a 392 long block. Definitely more in parts but can’t imagine the labor being more than tearing down an engine.
99% of people would just buy a new car but this forum is filled with the 1%ers (not the ones with all the money but the gearheads).

plus, is we kept people from posting the same questions over again the forums would be filled with “is my car totaled threads”.

· Super Moderator
16,405 Posts
One of our members that does not post anymore has a 440 in her 2007 Daytona. It can be done.

· Registered
2013 R/T
2,839 Posts
Drop in yes, you will need to look at the accessories like AC compressor and power steering bracketry and juggle them out or swap. The 392 will have had a Power steering pump.
I'm not sure if a PCM flash or replacement is required. The 2013 5.7 OE Tune PCM in my car has the Short Runner Valve tables. Probably safer to just get a 392 PCM.
Then there are the exhaust manifolds and cats match up.

Good luck finding a performance 5.7L marketed or even long blocks. They get gobbled up and stroked. Plenty of 5.7L Re-mans and crates.

Yes we hear about it being done and never see them passing out cigars. Same for AWD Supercharged, they do it and fade out of touch.

Do it and post pics.

· Registered
5,726 Posts
I appreciate the input from everyone that was helpful and for everyone complaining about me posting the question, yall couldve simply just kept scrolling and not have taken the time out to say anything
Post pictures when it's done...we'll be waiting.

· Super Moderator
16,405 Posts
I don't know what everyone in this thread is on about.

While I've never seen a V6 to V8 swap in all my years on this forum I've seen many V8 to bigger V8 swaps. I personally know at least 4 people that put bigger V8s in cars that came with the 5.7.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts