Charger Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any members in here ever installed the 392 crankshaft in their 5.7? i found a 5.7 crankshaft that im guessing lowers the piston down further to stroke it to a 392 and am wondering if anyones had success/failure in doing this mod because it looks like thatll be my next investment for mine..
thanks

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Registered
1,604 Posts
deck height of the hemi is 9.25" (top of the block)

5.7 stroke is 3.58"

rod length is 6.243"

a quick web search shows the compression height (distance from piston pin center to top of piston) in the neighborhood of ~1.205"

so....1/2 stroke + rod length + compression height = 9.238"...that means the pistons are .012" below deck height

throw a 4.08" stroker crank in there with the same pistons and rods, you end up with the pistons sticking out 0.238" at TDC...not gonna happen. you either need shorter rods (6"), which may cause clearance problems with the crankshaft counterweight at BDC, or pistons .238" shorter compression height....

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
deck height of the hemi is 9.25" (top of the block)

5.7 stroke is 3.58"

rod length is 6.243"

a quick web search shows the compression height (distance from piston pin center to top of piston) in the neighborhood of ~1.205"

so....1/2 stroke + rod length + compression height = 9.238"...that means the pistons are .012" below deck height

throw a 4.08" stroker crank in there with the same pistons and rods, you end up with the pistons sticking out 0.238" at TDC...not gonna happen. you either need shorter rods (6"), which may cause clearance problems with the crankshaft counterweight at BDC, or pistons .238" shorter compression height....
oh wow haha. and awesome recon/report thats definitely a life saver. is there any recommendations anyone would give towards a new bottom end setup speaking towards getting the most power but also great streetability and reliability? along with any cam recommendations to go with it? i would imagine getting a decently high lobe cam would be better to let the valves open as long as possible for the bigger cylinders..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.