Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at swapping out my cam to a 392 on my 2019 5.7 charger. I’m aware that the phase limiter is not needed and I’m also switching over to forged pushrods. My question is am I missing anything else what else do I need exactly to make this swap work?

·
Registered
81 Posts
New springs, probably shims... and you're going to need to tune for it. I've heard it can run w/o a tune but I personally wouldn't do that. If it's a non-mds 392 cam, you also need lifters. ALSO, new gaskets, etc. It adds up quickly...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Getting the same thing done bro. Here is my list. I have a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T. This is the kit my car guy is doing for me. Also, for some bonus points I included the prices, and part numbers (in-case you want to find the parts for cheaper). Hope this helps! :)

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Powerlifter:
It looks like you are only swapping the 4 MDS lifters. Given the issues the 5.7 has had with them, if the money is there, I would swap them all. The bearings in the rollers tend to give out in the 90K or more range.

Don

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That kit comes with all 16 lifters bro and no problem dude, I gave up for a while on building my own kit for the cam swap couldn’t find the correct parts and I just didn’t know what exactly I needed I found those kits so I’m going to stick with that 🙏🏻

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Charger RT Max
15 Posts
That kit comes with all 16 lifters bro and no problem dude, I gave up for a while on building my own kit for the cam swap couldn’t find the correct parts and I just didn’t know what exactly I needed I found those kits so I’m going to stick with that 🙏🏻
Is that the same kit you’ll go with? I’m looking for something with like a “Whomp, whomp, whomp” at idle. Also, when doing this should install a 392 intake manifold?

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
The spring kit adds another $365, and don't forget the required custom tune on top of it.

Don

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting the same thing done bro. Here is my list. I have a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T. This is the kit my car guy is doing for me. Also, for some bonus points I included the prices, and part numbers (in-case you want to find the parts for cheaper). Hope this helps! :)

View attachment 295375
i have an 2014 DODGE CHARGER RT...they are the same pieces for my car or i have to add something?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have an 2014 DODGE CHARGER RT...they are the same pieces for my car or i have to add something?
i posted the link up above bro it’s for the 392 kit that’s everything you need when you go to that page you’ll see the camshaft, gaskets and lifters in the picture. If you scroll down in the description you’ll see the word “kit” in red click that and you’ll need those retainers and springs everything will cost you about $2k just parts man labor not sure how much it ranges from shop to shop but yes that kit is for 2008-2019 5.7 hemis

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
887 Posts
Powerlifter:
It looks like you are only swapping the 4 MDS lifters. Given the issues the 5.7 has had with them, if the money is there, I would swap them all. The bearings in the rollers tend to give out in the 90K or more range.

Don
Only 4 MDS lifters? I don't get it I thought the MDS system switched whaat Cylinders it deactivated? Does it not?
Is there somewhere I can go learn more about exactly how the MDS system works? If it only does the same 4 cylinders all the time , I can see why there is so many issues with it.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Only 4 MDS lifters? I don't get it I thought the MDS system switched whaat Cylinders it deactivated? Does it not?
Is there somewhere I can go learn more about exactly how the MDS system works? If it only does the same 4 cylinders all the time , I can see why there is so many issues with it.
1, 4, 6 & 7 every time. There aren't as may issues with it as people make out to be.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Mantis:
I should have said 4 sets of lifters. My bad. With the MDS system, it is the same 4 cylinders (1,4,6,7). The latest cylinder shutdown that GM has can vary which ones it shuts down, which seems pretty neat to me.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack Plus Pitch Black
887 Posts
Mantis:
I should have said 4 sets of lifters. My bad. With the MDS system, it is the same 4 cylinders (1,4,6,7). The latest cylinder shutdown that GM has can vary which ones it shuts down, which seems pretty neat to me.
Thats how I thought MDS worked as it makes total sense. Why wear out 1 4 6 and 7 faster then 2 3 5 and 8? It should in theory rotate the cylinders to 1 bring balance to the engine and 2 wear evenly.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts