Charger Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2013 charger rt and was starting to hear the dreaded hemi tic. I was wondering would anyone know the correct 392 cam that I would need to instal in my engine instead of the original cam. Some knowledge would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
21 Posts
I'm in the exact situation you are in but a '12 R/T. I will link the correct camshaft below. There is the Automatic 392 cam (linked) and also the 6 spd 392 cam. The 6 spd cam does not work with MDS but id suggest getting rid of MDS anyways. So you will need that 392 cam, and I've seen many people suggest getting new valve springs and pushrods as well as the cam and lifters. New lifters aren't needed for the install but sounds like we're doing the cam install because of the lifters. Anyways good luck!

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Charger RT
1 Posts
I'm in the exact situation you are in but a '12 R/T. I will link the correct camshaft below. There is the Automatic 392 cam (linked) and also the 6 spd 392 cam. The 6 spd cam does not work with MDS but id suggest getting rid of MDS anyways. So you will need that 392 cam, and I've seen many people suggest getting new valve springs and pushrods as well as the cam and lifters. New lifters aren't needed for the install but sounds like we're doing the cam install because of the lifters. Anyways good luck!

Saw your reply, and wanted to get an update from you if possible. It appears that I'm in the exact same boat as you. '12 Charger RT. Took my car into the shop and sure enough, new lifters and a cam are needed. I'm just waiting to get confirmation that my extended warranty is going to cover cost. Did you end up getting the cam for the 6.4, and if so, how did it work out for you? Did you replace any other parts? Any complaints or advice? Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
2012 Charger R/T
21 Posts
Saw your reply, and wanted to get an update from you if possible. It appears that I'm in the exact same boat as you. '12 Charger RT. Took my car into the shop and sure enough, new lifters and a cam are needed. I'm just waiting to get confirmation that my extended warranty is going to cover cost. Did you end up getting the cam for the 6.4, and if so, how did it work out for you? Did you replace any other parts? Any complaints or advice? Thank you in advance.
Hi, I am actually about to order the parts right now. There are a lot of posts on this that link the exact parts but I'll list what I'm getting.

Non MDS 6 spd 392 cam
Non MDS Lifters
Mopar Performance Valve Springs
Manley strengthened pushrods
New Cylinder head bolts
New head and manifold gaskets
Cam bolt

I believe you don't even need to get new pushrods because the 5.7 and 6.4 run the same from what I've read but most people say it is smart to since you're in there in the first place. I've seen people getting better valve springs that come with retainers and shims but from what I've read you only need the mopar performance ones which are $400 cheaper. I think this is everything though. I have not done the job yet but I've been reading on this for a few months and this is what I came up with. You also can get the MDS delete solenoids but I think it's up to you. I am going with the 6 spd cam since I'm deleting MDS and I've seen people say the 6 spd cam offers better gains.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,787 Posts
Unless going with a more than a mild cam performance springs are not necessary as the OE's are very good as is. But while in there I would replace them.

FYI the performance springs have two part numbers, each and kit. These are 5.7L numbers so make surer they are for 6.4L also.
P5160074 spring kit $223.44
68277306AA same as above for less $71.04 for 16.

Reactions: FlowofChakra

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Unless going with a more than a mild cam performance springs are not necessary as the OE's are very good as is. But while in there I would replace them.

FYI the performance springs have two part numbers, each and kit. These are 5.7L numbers so make surer they are for 6.4L also.
P5160074 spring kit $223.44
68277306AA same as above for less $71.04 for 16.
Bolt in for eagle heads, require shims for 6.4/392 heads: Authentic Mopar Performance Valve Springs - P5160074 | Mopar Online Parts

·
Registered
2013 R/T
1,787 Posts
They come with the required 1mm shims with instructions to replace if the ones being replaced have the inner dampeners with 2mm shims.
My 2013 5.7L had beehive & 1mm shims.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts