Charger Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to brag on my car a little bit. Today I drove approx. 180 miles on I-40 in North Carolina and reset the MPG calculator while at highway speeds near Statesville, NC and driving to Raleigh, NC (approx. 150 mile trip). At time of arrival in Raleigh, just over 2 hours later, the MPG average read an overall 35.0!!! :beerchug: Never thought that to be possible considering my prior highway best in this car was 29mpg. By the way I own a 2014 Charger SXT 100th Anniversary Edition - white 8-speed.

During the trip, I watched the MPG average slowly increase to 33.8, then to 34.1, 34.3, 34.6 near Chapel Hill, 34.9, and finally to 35.0 upon reaching Raleigh. Throughout the entire drive I rarely used cruise control and focused solely on keeping the engine in "Eco" mode. In times past, I heavily used cruise control in this car to maintain the vehicle's speed at a certain MPH (usually 9 over the limit) and only achieved a max of about 29mpg, slightly less than the 31mpg sticker claim. I chalked it up to the heavy 20" wheels.

That being said, I have now achieved the highest average MPG rating of any sedan that I have previously owned and driven on this route, including a 2003 E320 Mercedes (approx 33mpg) and a 2008 535xi BMW (approx 31 mpg). The cruise control on those cars was superior and more intelligent than the cruise in this Charger - less downshifting in them and more gradual accelerating within the gear to maintain speed. That also being said, when taken off cruise, the 8 speed paired with the V6 in this Charger, and an alert driver, results in better gas mileage than both of those significantly more expensive German sedans.

What do you guys think about this and what has your best gas mileage been with the 8 speed in the V6?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Could be very many variables put into play. A kind of a "perfect storm" Per Se. Heavy tail wind can play a part, heading toward a constant lower terrain with no hills helps, hooking up in a draft, such as behind a semi, (which I highly recommend that you DON'T do!!) higher temps expand the fuel in the tank, thus expending less fuel. (quite a change in temps in your pics). Not saying any of these were the contributing factors of your fuel mileage. Just some variables to consider. My 2013 8 speed 3.6 with AWD (3.06 gears) usually gets 30 mpg highway average and 25.5 mpg city. (Not a lot of traffic in my city, so smooth sailing usually at 35 mph).

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Nice! It doesn't surprise me as I got 28.2 on my way to the beach a couple months ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be very many variables put into play. A kind of a "perfect storm" Per Se. Heavy tail wind can play a part, heading toward a constant lower terrain with no hills helps, hooking up in a draft, such as behind a semi, (which I highly recommend that you DON'T do!!) higher temps expand the fuel in the tank, thus expending less fuel. (quite a change in temps in your pics). Not saying any of these were the contributing factors of your fuel mileage. Just some variables to consider. My 2013 8 speed 3.6 with AWD (3.06 gears) usually gets 30 mpg highway average and 25.5 mpg city. (Not a lot of traffic in my city, so smooth sailing usually at 35 mph).
Yes. I was traveling from West to East - generally in NC this results in a temperature increase as you are descending from the mountains down to the coastal plain. Even still, there are plenty of hills both up and down along the way. Didn't do much drafting either, mostly lone warrior leading the pack as most people move to the right when they see that white Charger with the black grille in their rear view.

That's good city mileage because around town I'm usually at 17 MPG!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Nice! It doesn't surprise me as I got 28.2 on my way to the beach a couple months ago.
Best I've ever got is about 24. I have Heavy Foot Disorder. :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Didn't do much drafting either, mostly lone warrior leading the pack as most people move to the right when they see that white Charger with the black grille in their rear view.
LOL!!!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Very impressive from the 3.6 engine paired up with an efficient transmission. The best I ever achieved on my 3.5 with crappy 4spd trans is 30mpg. I wish my old dog can perform that well.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
Yeah the 3.6L with 8 spd is amazing. My '12 did excellent, though I don't remember the exact mileage. I remember it being very good for as spirited as the car can be when you want it to. It's a great combo, Dodge nailed it.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Best I've ever got is about 24. I have Heavy Foot Disorder. :D
I hear you. I have a similar birth defect... My right foot us much heavier than my left. I set my cruise control on the trip, otherwise there would gave been no way for the mileage to get there.

That's awesome for a V8. I'm anxious to see what the V8 - 8 speed pairing will do for highway gas mileage.
X2... Should be interesting to see

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I've been as high as 31.9 before hitting my exit going to work. If I was reporting to my regular site (another 10 minutes of highway driving mostly downhill), I might have gotten it to 32.0. That tank averaged 30.5, when I calculated it. Almost 100% highway, other than getting to and from it.

The number is obviously a rolling number (MPG for the last x miles). I wish I knew how they figured it..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts