Charger Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its amazing how fast 30k goes by when you are having so much fun. Now that I have joined the "over 30" club what type up service should I get done to keep her running strong for many more years? Also, what kind of cost am I looking at to get this done?

Other question I have is should I remove my catch can before taking her in for service or leave it on?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I asked the same question, but I crossed 36K. Here is a list I got from another member as well as a link to the original thread:
Oil change

Spark plugs (assuming they are standard copper plugs)

Tire Rotation (assusming you are due for one)

Fuel filter

Tranny fluid change (pan only not flush) with a new filter.

Chasis lube (not sure if there are zerks on the suspension)
Keep in mind that these vehicles don't have a fuel filter also :knockout:, definitely not a good idea to let you car run below a 1/4 of a tank

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54727

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Price I just received from local dealership is over $600. Said it would take most of the day to complete.

-Oil change/filter
-Battery service
-Change tranny fluid
-Oil transmission
-Clean throttle body and intake
-Change spark plugs
-Add power steering conditioner
-Coolant fluid additive/conditioner (TSB for coolant gunk)
-Add transmission additive
-Check brakes/rotors
-Rotate tires
-Wheel alignment

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
That doesn't sound bad for that amount of work. One thing though is the manual doesn't state you need a coolant fluid change till 100k on Schedule B. Also I don't know about you're probably close to the point of changing tires and you might as well save your wheel alignment for when you need to change tires.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That doesn't sound bad for that amount of work. One thing though is the manual doesn't state you need a coolant fluid change till 100k on Schedule B. Also I don't know about you're probably close to the point of changing tires and you might as well save your wheel alignment for when you need to change tires.
I asked about the coolant thing too. He said they don't change it, but put some sort of additive in it. (does that make sense to anybody?) Good idea on the wheel alignment but still got a ways to go on new tires. :( I have a set of police steelies w/Blizzaks that I put on during the winter months.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Price I just received from local dealership is over $600. Said it would take most of the day to complete.

-Oil change
-Spark plugs
-Tire Rotation
-Wheel Alignment
-Tranny fluid change
-Coolant fluid (additive added to extend life?)
-Chassis lube
-Check brakes/rotors
-Battery check
-Intake cleaning
-Tune up
Wheel alignment should be unnecessary unless you drift or drive the car hard on uneven surfaces.

Coolant fluid additive? Haven't heard this one yet. As far as I recall the manual doesn't call for this.

Intake cleaning... just change the intake.

What are they charging you for battery and brake/rotor check? Seems like this should be done as a courtesy.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I would have to agree with you. When I took my car into the dealership, they suggessted an alignment every 15K.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Stay away from coolant additives they're bad news in general. Clean coolant and distilled water is all that should be in there.

Also my general rule of thumb with quotes is that if a company is willing to actually break down their quote from the beginning of what costs what work and not lump the total they're generally honest.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Just look in your service manual that came with your car.
What it says for 30k...do it.
Basically its just oil/filter, air filter, spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
A fuel line and pump....

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Wheel alignment should be unnecessary unless you drift or drive the car hard on uneven surfaces.

Coolant fluid additive? Haven't heard this one yet. As far as I recall the manual doesn't call for this.

Intake cleaning... just change the intake.

What are they charging you for battery and brake/rotor check? Seems like this should be done as a courtesy.

Most times they add that in there to make the list seem longer. My dealership told me that they do a brake check when they rotate your tires.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts

-Oil change
-Spark plugs
-Tire Rotation
-Wheel Alignment
-Tranny fluid change
-Coolant fluid (additive added to extend life?)
-Chassis lube
-Check brakes/rotors
-Battery check
-Intake cleaning
-Tune up
oil change - check
spark plugs - check
tire rotation - check
wheel alignment - skip
trans fluid change - check (make sure they do the filter too)
coolent fluid - skip
chassis lube - skip (there are no lube points on our chassis)
check brakes/rotors - you can do that yourself in about 5 minutes. Should be free.
Battery check - ditto
Intake cleaning - skip
Tune up - skip (there's nothing to tune)

Best,

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
oil change - check
spark plugs - check
tire rotation - check
wheel alignment - skip
trans fluid change - check (make sure they do the filter too)
coolent fluid - skip
chassis lube - skip (there are no lube points on our chassis)
check brakes/rotors - you can do that yourself in about 5 minutes. Should be free.
Battery check - ditto
Intake cleaning - skip
Tune up - skip (there's nothing to tune)

Best,
$600, rip off.

I go to my favorite Pep Boys:

Lifetime rotation and balance - $40 one time

Sparkplug change - $145

Oil Change - $20, I bring the oil and filter.

Straight line, 70mph, hands off, no drift - no alignment

Free 18 point inspection at every service
------------------------------------------------------------
Manual says CHECK tranny fluid and coolant.

Change coolant at 60 months or 102K, whicever comes first.

'No change necessary' for tranny fluid under schedule 'A'.

Change air filter when needed, check every 6 months.

Save all receipts!

At a $160-180 an hour for labor, I only go to the dealer when absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
$600, rip off.

I go to my favorite Pep Boys:

Lifetime rotation and balance - $40 one time

Sparkplug change - $145

Oil Change - $20, I bring the oil and filter.

Straight line, 70mph, hands off, no drift - no alignment

Free 18 point inspection at every service
------------------------------------------------------------
Manual says CHECK tranny fluid and coolant.

Change coolant at 60 months or 102K, whicever comes first.

'No change necessary' for tranny fluid under schedule 'A'.

Change air filter when needed, check every 6 months.

Save all receipts!

At a $160-180 an hour for labor, I only go to the dealer when absolutely necessary.
Almost NOBODY fits in the category of schedule 'A' though do they?

·
Registered
10,665 Posts
I love the "tune up"part. What exactly are they tuning? There are no points, no cap, no rotor, nothing to control timing or spark advance. The spark plugs are listed seperately, so what the hell are they tuning up?

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I took the Daytona in last Wednesday and now she is as good as new. I know most of this stuff I could have done on my own but with most car maintenance items like this it comes down to how valuable your time is or how much free time you have to do the work.

If it was left up to me it probably would have been another 1-2 weeks before I could get to it. Also, I think somebody mentioned on this or another thread that sometimes it helps to keep the wifey/girlfriend happy by paying the service guys to do the work and spending the extra time with them instead of in the garage all day. :wink: The dealership even paid for my rental car so it was well worth it.

On a side note: They discovered I had a broken front tie rod, which was replaced under warranty. Also, the front rotors are warped and pads need changed. So now I am looking for the best aftermarket rotor replacement for the LX's. (Suggestions welcome) :) :) :)

I updated the service list too for those of you that do it yourself or are getting close to time to do your 30k service.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I love the "tune up"part. What exactly are they tuning? There are no points, no cap, no rotor, nothing to control timing or spark advance. The spark plugs are listed seperately, so what the hell are they tuning up?

:evil: YOUR WALLET!!!!!!! :twisted:​

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Almost NOBODY fits in the category of schedule 'A' though do they?
Sure they do, everyone except cops, taxis, and maybe people who live on dirt roads. Only dealers looking to sell service argue that everyone falls into schedule b.

And even schedule b only calls for a tranny fluid change at 50k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts