Charger Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the orion 5000D (2500 RMS) and it's a POS it keeps frying..

I AM moving 4 subs, so that probably isn't helping and they're power hungry 2000 RMS a piece... so they're grossly under powered..

Truck handles the stereo great, upgrading to Kinetic battery and isolator, need a beefier amp that wont die every 2 months.

·
Registered
467 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
im runnin 2 amps on my 4 12's, maybe that would be a better way to run things. less strain on stuff

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
im runnin 2 amps on my 4 12's, maybe that would be a better way to run things. less strain on stuff
got nothin to do with it. You need to know the impedence level of each sub, what the final nominal ohm load is, and how stable your amp is compared to the RMS ratings on the subs.

Also if hte box is ported the resistance will fluctuate alot in high power applications so that orion amp could be clipping. That amp you got Ron is a power house, I used 8 of those to hit over 161db in dbdrag to take 8th at world finals in my class, so something in your set up is off

·
Premium Member
11,698 Posts
WTF Ron Davins??? How much power do you need to blow the eardrums? LOL

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
What impedance Jason? Check out http://www.hifonicsusa.com/Hifonics_GenXXV_Amplifiers.html. Very good amps at reasonable prices.
lol Hifonics and good shouldnt be in the same sentence. They are not the best of quality, and there are a couple people on ebay that make a living by just buying all their dead amps, fixing, and reselling them. I have tried Hifonics with doubt and sure enough it fried. There are a lot better amps out there then Hifonics

·
Registered
467 Posts
lol Hifonics and good shouldnt be in the same sentence. They are not the best of quality, and there are a couple people on ebay that make a living by just buying all their dead amps, fixing, and reselling them. I have tried Hifonics with doubt and sure enough it fried. There are a lot better amps out there then Hifonics
I've known people to run Hifonics amps for years without any issues. I haven't had any issues with mine either. I haven't heard any negative testimony about Hifonics until now. Maybe it was your install or something?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I've known people to run Hifonics amps for years without any issues. I haven't had any issues with mine either. I haven't heard any negative testimony about Hifonics until now. Maybe it was your install or something?
I have known people that have ran their amps for a while too, I didnt say all are horrible but their quality could be better. Im just saying for the money there is better quality out there.

Prob user error lol
No.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think there is a impedance issue. If you are melting amp connection. You must pushing the amp to a very low impedance. The amp termanial is also causing some resistance and this causing it to heat up. Maybe you should consider multiple amps instead of push one amp to the extreme.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 amps would be pointless, it would put out the same power as my 1 amp because my subs are 2 ohm DVC subs. So the 2 amps would be running at 2 ohms instead of the 1 they're at now with the one amp.. make sense?

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THE ORION is how many watts? and you sure you dont have the subs wired down at too low of a ohm load.
www.usamps.com

you should run 2 sub amps
My sponsor and I both wired the subs, the same way.. only I used www.the12volt.com's specs for 1 ohm mono block amp to 4 DVC 2 ohm subs. = 1 ohm. Followed isntructions perfectly, and so did my sponsor (i re-wired them, same problem)

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think there is a impedance issue. If you are melting amp connection. You must pushing the amp to a very low impedance. The amp termanial is also causing some resistance and this causing it to heat up. Maybe you should consider multiple amps instead of push one amp to the extreme.
again, multiple amps aren't an option with 4 2 ohm DVC subs, and i don't have the money even if I could.

Impedence was tested and is fine. Id ont' get it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
again, multiple amps aren't an option with 4 2 ohm DVC subs, and i don't have the money even if I could.

Impedence was tested and is fine. Id ont' get it.
I think the point you're missing is that when you strap two amps they're collectively seeing the load one amp would. This is speaking specifically for STRAPPED amps. If they're run individually, you'd be right. Also, 2 amps strapped will probably be cheaper and more reliable than one monster.

·
Registered
12,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the point you're missing is that when you strap two amps they're collectively seeing the load one amp would. This is speaking specifically for STRAPPED amps. If they're run individually, you'd be right. Also, 2 amps strapped will probably be cheaper and more reliable than one monster.
How do you strap two amps?

My ohm load would change, would it not?

with my 4 2ohm DVC subs if I had 2 mono block amps like the ONE i have now, they'd be at 2 ohms playing at the same volume (2x as much money in amps, for the same output)

This amp is supposed to be a beast not a piece of chit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts